I am going to be in the doghouse

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mikesguns, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Mikesguns

Mikesguns

Couple weeks ago I bought a S&W 642 just because I wanted a BUG. Super sweet shooter with a nice trigger and mighty accurate at 7 yards. Wife still doesn't know about that one. Then I decided I needed about the same thing but in 357 magnum as opposed to 38. So I ended up buying a S&W 340 PD. I am pretty good at keeping my gun purchases from her but she will eventually find out. I guess the best thing would be to tell her I bought the 642 for her for when she walks the dogs. Then I can wait and tell her about the 340?

So does anyone else have a bad habit of buying guns that you really don't need? Guess that is a stupid question after seeing some of you guys collections but how do you deal with the better half when you buy the guns? I mean I have everything a guy could want in their collection but just can't seem to ever get enough.

Now I can't wait to get the 340 and should be here by Friday. I know it is a lot more gun in 357 than the 38, especially with the extremely light weight, 1.8 oz but it is after all a BUG. Here is a pic of the 642 in hand just to give an idea of the size. And I do not have very big hands...

S&W 642.jpg

2. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

Just about all of the guns I have I don't "need." If there's something I want for a good price, and I have the money, I usually just buy it.

As for my wife, I used to catch hell for just showing interest in another gun, so I just stopped consulting her on my purchases. She usually doesn't find out about any of them for quite a while, and it never really dawned on her when I'd be carrying something different, or if she saw one she obviously hadn't seen before. I was down in the basement a few months ago and had the door of my safe opened. She looked inside, and with seeing all of them together said "I don't remember you having this many..." I just shrugged and grunted something to the effect of "I dunno." She didn't say another word about it.

svtpwnz, 72Cheyenne, gibbs and 3 others like this.

3. got2hav1

got2hav1

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

My wife and I budget every dollar. We each get equal amounts of "blow money" each month. We save that and buy what ever we want. No hiding, no getting mad.

hurley842002, BillG174, hdben and 6 others like this.
  5. Dave514

Dave514

Oh, I've had that for quite awhile.

The End.

6. janice6

janice6

I have no gun that I really needed. Every one is a want, not a need.

That said, I have accumulated some handguns that include multiple 642's and others. My wife used to carry a 642 and I found that all "Silver" guns look the same to her, just as all Black guns look the same to her. Long barrels versus short barrels are the discriminators to her.

I have purchased no guns that she didn't know about, but some I purchased she has laid claim to. I can't think of a better situation.

7. powernoodle

powernoodle

Over the past 30 years, I have accumulated all manner of 1911s, CZs, Hi-Powers, S&W, Glock (14 of them), SIG (2 in the last week), Rugers, ARs, AKs and everything else you can think of. Plus enough ammo and holsters to supply the Bolivian army for 3 years. So yeah. Join the club. I paid $1700 for a Les Baer 1911 a couple of years ago, and I've never shot the dang thing.

I won't even go into my hoarding of knives, flashlights, multitools and Maxpedition bags.

That's a sweet 642. I often pocket carry the 442, which is the blackened version of that gun. Last year my 79 year old mother shot her 642 in the general direction of a knucklehead who broke into her car and garage. She said he "ran like a jackrabbit". Thank goodness she didn't kill him.

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

You definitely want the wife on board for gun purchases. A couple of months ago, I was looking at a Savage Axis while it was on sale and my wife said, "You should get it." I did. A week later, I came home and told her, "I just bought a CZ 527." I thought I was going to get a lecture, but she just said, "Okay. How's that different from the other one?"

ithaca_deerslayer and Pierre! like this.
  9. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

The majority of my guns my wife can't tell one from the other (nor does she care), it also helps that my gun funds come out of an entirely different bank account so there is never anything I "need" to hide from her. There are a few guns that I've been looking for for a LONG time that my wife is aware of and would def encourage me to get when the time comes (a specific FN-FAL 50.00 Type 2 rec or a KBI Russian SVD).

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  10. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

My wife was really cool about it for a long time, but that eventually ended.

Now i operate on a sell one to buy one scheme. She isn't all that thrilled about this, but what can she really say?

11. katonahjohn

katonahjohn

Just make sure you have a working TV out there. Seriously I just keep my wants under control. Its hard some times asking myself "What can I use this for?" and "Will I actually shoot this thing?" Personally I would like about a dozen side by sides hanging on the wall, so I can just sit back in my easy chair and enjoy the view. But if I want it/have a use for it, I get it. If the wife wants something (expensive) that I don't see a need for I just tell her to wait until I'm dead and she can do what ever she damn well pleases. But then my 44th wedding anniversary is coming up and its not like I'm getting any any way!!

72Cheyenne and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  12. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Compared to my hands, yours are HUGE!

If you like *snappy* recoil, you will love the 340PD.

My fave story about this pistol:
    At the NRA range - Unload a cylinder of 125Gr +P, and notice a guy standing behind me watching... I say "wanna try it?"

He says: "I'm looking to buy, Thanks but I'll just watch you."

I'm like okay - Load up some 158gr .357 Magnum, and bout the 3rd round I notice the range is *really* quiet (has the corrugated tin roof covering the firing line, muzzle flaming like crazy, really rings when this pistol goes off!)

Finished up the 5 rounds, turn around, and the guy is *bleeding* from the cheek from a piece of jacket (no doubt - No, I wasn't blading or pointing any weird directions, have no idea how he caught that shrapnel!)

I say "Sure you don't wanna try it?"

He says "Thanks, I think you just saved me a lot of money"... and walks away laughing...

It's a fun little revolver for sure!

PS - I forgot the whole point of the post - My Wife Bought Me The 340PD for my birthday! Yah, I had to fill out the 4473, but didn't mind one bit.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  13. Wishoot

Wishoot

The only guns I truly need are my shotguns for birds/sporting clays, my rifles for hunting and one of my handguns for SD/HD.

The others are just a bonus.

My wife is more worried about all of the reloading stuff that's finding it's way into our home.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sounds like a good system...

15. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

When a man has one gun his wife calls it, "That gun". When he has two guns she calls them, "Those guns". When he has three guns she calls them, "All those guns". Once he has more than three guns she still says, "All those guns". So, once you have more than three guns you shouldn't have any more problems, especially if you pay for them with cash.

16. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

My gun fund comes from credit card rewards so I treat myself to 2-3 guns a year, so it's never an issue.

On a side note, do yourself a favor and get a Hogue Monogrip for that 340.

9jeeps and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  17. China boy

China boy

As long as bills are payed my girlfriend doesn't care. If I go on a gun buying spree I usually keep the gun in the safe for a while and then kind present the gun with a "I had this thing for a while" type answer. But its more my guilt as she doesn't really care. I support her the same way with her wants. She likes tattoos and spends money on them here and there and I don't guilt her for buying ink.

OP - nice looking new gun!

refugeepj and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  18. smartShooter

smartShooter

Saving up for a new rifle stock using this method, and whatever money i get selling stuff on Craigslist...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

19. FinallyGlock

FinallyGlock

I'm disappointed, given what I've witnessed on GT since I joined last year, that nobody has said anything about 'blow money' yet. You are all a sorry lot. Must be Wednesday.

20. Planetcat

Planetcat

I try to buy mine at the beginning of the month, so I have a good 30 days to break it to her before the credit card bill comes. :)

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.