close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I am DONE with Maglite!!! >:( >:( >:(

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric2340, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

I need a GOOD LED AA battery sized flashlight for work (auto parts field) that I can easily carry in the pocket of my cargo shorts. Nothing defensive or anything that runs off of CR123 lithium batteries, and I don't want one of the smaller ones that runs off of one or two AA batteries either.

In the past 2 or 3 years or so I began accumulating Maglite LED AA flashlights when Wally World was running a special on two packs of them for $25 or so. I snatched up 2 of them at time, for work, around the house, and one to leave in each car. Slowly all three started to "flicker" more and more with use, and you had to either jiggle them or smack the heads to get them to run. I next replaced the one I use all day with LED AA high and low ONLY version, and in time that started to fail the same way. I next tried the high output only version of their same LED AA light, only to have it and a second one that was given to me start to do the same. :mad: I contacted Maglite late last year and they were willing to warranty out the switches/LED heads in all of them for me, and now low and behold yesterday (only a few months later) I go to look for something in the warehouse yesterday at work, and guess what? My high output only LED AA Maglite starts flickering again. :mad: I've also bought two of their newer AAA LED XL50 lights with the push button switches in the tail caps of them, and had both of them fail now also!!

WTF??!!!! Maglite used to make THE best little AA incandescent flashlights back in the day that everyone and their brother used and had, not to mention the larger, old school C and D cell Maglites everyone had and the cops used all the time too! They used to build a really GREAT product, and now it seems since they've gone to LED technology it's like they can't build a flashlight worth a damn anymore!!

So again, all I need is simple little, GOOD AA battery sized powered LED like we all used to use back in the day for looking at things in the warehouse (tires, parts, etc.) and nothing large, CR123 lithium or smaller AAA battery sized - a non-defensive light. I just want something pretty bright so I can see in the parking lot at night when I leave work or for early in the AM. I don't want to buy anything crazy light a Surefire or whatnot (I already have those at home for HD/SD) I just need a GOOD, robust, BRIGHT, "work flashlight" that is in or around the size of a AA sized Maglite, and BRIGHT. Not like some of these cheaper, dimer AA LED lights like you see at Home Depot and what not.

What are you guys using for stuff like this?

Thanks -

Eric

[​IMG]

ruffterrain likes this.
  2. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I use a Streamlight ProTac 2AA flashlight.It's close in size to the maglite and very bright with decent battery life.I bought it at Cabela's about 7 years ago and it's still going strong-used daily.It cost around $55.00 iirc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

For the last 2 or 3 years, I've been accumulating fax machines.

4. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I carry two lights every day. One is a Photon micro light on my key chain.

The other is a Streamlight Micro light. Single AAA battery, easily brighter than an old AA or AAA Maglight. I know you don't want that size, but for the price I suggest you try one, they go for like $15. Clip it to a cargo pocket and you will forget it is there.

However, recently I bought a Streamlight Junior 2XAA that is amazing. A little larger than a AA maglight but the light is just fantastic. Lights up the whole backyard with a super even beam. I will be buying more of these.

ruffterrain likes this.
  5. Jay S.

Jay S.

medic2258 and dudel like this.
  6. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I actually lost one of my oldest, most trusted Fenix AA's this week.

I was up, messing with some industrial ductwork, and I HAD to look into a port hole to check for blockage. Usually, it's no big deal. Shine the light in and look.

This port had so much "negative pressure" (vacuum), that when my hand got 6" or 9" from it, it violently tried to suck my arm in and my flashlight disappeared so fast I didn't even see it.

So.....

It'll either eventually work it's way into some industrial fans or machinery and destroy millions of dollars worth of equipment....

Or....

Some laborer, twenty years from now, will be rebuilding the mill and he'll find my flashlight, covered in twenty years of oxides....

He'll put batteries in it and it'll work.

7. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

oh,a wise guy(in Curly's voice)
    lol

8. Timber Ghost

Timber Ghost

People call me 'Old Fashioned', 'Old School','Backward'. Some even call me a Troglodyte. And rightfully so. Maglights used to be the standard, but I gave up on them years ago. Times have changed, and things have gotten more expensive. I know you said you have a HD light. Use it. I used to carry a ProTac 2A until I got my ProTac 1L/1AA. I use it every day at work to read inventory tags 25 ft in the air in a dark warehouse. I use it for everything else too.

mc1911 and orangejeep06 like this.
  9. r3dot

r3dot

Fenix, eagletac, olight, 4sevens...take your pick.

rick458, medic2258 and mrmedina like this.
  10. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

In my experience, Mag lites have always been crap. Just garbage. We dealt with it at the time because they were the best available, but let's not kid ourselves, they were still crap. Being able to double as a baton or baseball bat might make them good for some uses, but didn't help their ability to be a flashlight any.

I have a Fenix HL50 in my pocket now.

11. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

To be fair, I've still got a dozen maglites and even some d-cell military, angle-head flashlights that get used often enough.

When we're camping and some kid (or goofy adult) (or my wife) asks to borrow a flashlight, am I going to hand them my newest, coolest evar, $100+ jobbie?

Yeah. Right. They get the Army d-cell.

12. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Dang, sorry to hear. My XL50 has been outstanding for the 5 years I have had it. It even stands up to recoil. Was planning on buying another.

13. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

For great deals on flashlights while also supporting a small business, check out goingGear.com

Sign up for their emails and they will send you deals on flashlights that will make your wallet hurt. I love that store.

J. Gambolputty likes this.
  14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The AA Maglites have never impressed me. But my favorite light, right now, is the Maglite XL50. Brighter (and smaller) than my incandescent Surefires by a longshot, 3 AAA batteries last forever and costs $30 at Lowe's.

MO Fugga likes this.
  15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I use Fenix lights and have a larger and smaller one. I use and abuse them. The smaller one, which they don't make anymore, failed after several years. It would still light but the switch to different modes didn't work. I'm happy wth them.

16. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

I like the Coast HX5, single AA, can be NimH, Rechargeable Li-Ion (14500), or Alkaline (comes with a Duracell). Head pulls out to adjust from spot to flood beam. Can be bought at Menards or Home Depot for $19. Comes with a dual clip (pocket or hat brim), but also has a small hole in the tail cap for a small keyring or lanyard. Lifetime warranty, company's in Portland, OR

https://coastportland.com/product/hx5/

[​IMG]

Jason Glockman likes this.
  17. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

The red lenses are good for catching crab worms.

fusegsp likes this.
  18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Those antique Maglites were made in California.

I greatly prefer my Fenix lights made in China. There are so many to choose from ....

19. Pope-onna-Rope

Pope-onna-Rope

I quit on Mag Lights when every time I set one down, it rolled off the object and crashed.

Mark2Glock likes this.