I am afraid to clean the sensor on my Canon 20D

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by scowan007, Mar 4, 2005.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

See the pic below (Gray cloudy sky).

Note the blotches all over the photo. They appear with both lenses, so I guess I have to clean the sensor. Any advice????[​IMG]

2. hile

hile

Dude, I'm just jealous that you have a 20D :)

3. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thanks,
    its a sweeeeet camera.

Are you the guy who bought my laserdisc player? Still workin' ok? Pioneer makes sturdy stuff!

4. zaggie

zaggie

That is the biggest picture I have seen on the internet. Why don't you post your best shot?

5. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Its only 144k.

I wanted a LARGE, blank image that would show the blotches. That's why I shot the cloudy sky

I'm not trying to show off my camera or my meager skills, just thought an illustration of the "crap" on my camera might be approriate.

Usually, I re-size to 800x600 or therabouts. The large size was intentional. I'm not a retard if you were wondering.;)

6. DTQ

DTQ c8h10n4o2 me

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you DO NOT clean the sensor unless you know EXACTLY what you’re doing. I suggest you take it in for professional cleaning, I get mine done periodically and it costs around $35-$50.00 and is well worth it. Don't just drop it off at any camera shop, find a qualified pro service center.

7. Ducman

Ducman

I'm not sure how the 20D is but my Nikon D70 is very easy to clean, I use a sensor swab, with eclipse solution on a pec pad, Quick easy and works great. The sensors are tougher than you'd think.

8. Dragline

Dragline

I've never cleaned the sensor on My Canon 1D using the method as described above by Ducman but he is correct. That would be the proper procedure for cleaning the sensor.
    I have however, used a blower brush just to dislodge dust particles.

BTW, scowan007, the best method for checking for dust or particles on the sensor is to shoot open blue sky at f22 then examine the image.

9. General Sherman

General Sherman

10. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

them little boogers are expensive!;)

11. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Check out this site Canon Forum . There is alot of info and a bunch of great people. You can get alot of help, and cleaning the sensor isn't as bad as it seems. I had to clean mine when I first got my camera, but unfortunately that was after we went on vacation and took a ton of pictures did I realize all the crap dust in there. 2 things to remember, never use compressed air, even the stuff for computers and never blow on it with you breath, that will make it worse. Good luck, be warned once you see that site and what can be done with our 20D's, the creditr card companies become very happpy with our new purchases;f

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thanks! Great site. between GT and that place, there goes all my $$$$;)

13. Elkbow

Elkbow

I clean my sensor on my 20D all the time. There is nothing to it. I suggest you look here for sensor cleaning information:

sensor cleaning

14. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I have a 300D and have researched "sensor cleaning" for when I inevitably have to. From what I understand, the sensor is actually covered with a hard plastic protective layer and that is what you are "cleaning". Most people do it themselves and have no problems.

I have some crap on my focusing screen but my sensor is clean so far.

15. kato4moto

kato4moto

Though I don't have a Canon, this might relate: I dropped off my Nikon D2H at Nikon's service center in CA for a warranty repair (meter not working correctly). When I picked it up last week, I asked what D2Hs were commonly in for. The girl at the counter said, "Nothing in particular; it's a range of things."

But one thing she did say was that lots of the repairs on digi-SLRs were for abused sensors, which often cost $400 to replace! The cost of cleaning the sensor if you dropped it off? $25 (and 24-hour turnaround, unlike other Nikon service work).

Being more of a film guy (D2H is my first digi), I'm thinking $25 and a drive over and back twice might not be so bad. I can usually do without one body for a day, but YMMV. :)

16. Elkbow

Elkbow

A couple of things to reply to the last couple of posts. The sensor can be scratched, but its hard to do if you are using the right equipment, i.e. the right cleaning clothe and fluid.

As far as sending it in to get it clean, I've read many many reports of the factory not doing a very good job and charges of that kind of money is crazy. I live in New Mexico, land of dirt and dust, I have to clean my sensor almost after every outing...especially when I have my camera on my ATV.

As far as the focusing screen on the Rebel, its simple to remove and clean. There is two clips that hold it in. Check out these pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/d60_fs

17. spober

spober

how do you like the nikon D2H? Why the D2H over the d-100 or even the d70?

18. kato4moto

kato4moto

Remember, the D2H is my very first digital camera; I'm still in love with my F5s and Velvia, and they will remain the benchmark for my work.

But, the D2H is pretty darn good. Most of my shots so far have been in the fine JPG mode; only one client so far has requested RAW and JPG (which the D2H provides, of course).

Love the speed of operation. Love the big (relatively speaking) monitor, though my old eyes would be happier with an even larger one.

Do not like color reproduction. It's good, but it's not Velvia-quality. Highlights tend to get blown out, though I've heard this is true of all digi cameras. I've also heard that if you shoot RAW format, you can minimize this to begin with and further reduce this in post-production.

Though it's only a 4 MP body, I've had covers and a couple spreads that looked very sharp. Still, I'm saving for a D2X (a pair, actually, since I have to work with two bodies minimum) to take advantage of its 6 MP/8 FPS feature for high-speed action sequences and, of course, the 12 MP/5 FPS normal rate. It's just a really, really, REALLY big initial hit! ;P

ETA: For my work, the D70 and D100 are simply not rugged enough. I know a few pros who use them as secondary/back-up bodies (primarily the 70), but none rely on them as front-line cameras. If you're not a working pro and don't need the durability as much, the D70 should make you pretty happy with its images. The guys I've talked to who tried the D100 were generally not impressed, primarily with color reproduction. That was improved in the D70, apparently.