close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Ain't Hunting Again !

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CanyonMan, May 2, 2006.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, at least not until September, when the season starts up again! :supergrin:

OK,OK, i used the title as a 'lure.'

My real purpose here is this. The hunting season is over, and so i thought i'd ask y'all to post your "Most Memorable" hunt for 2005/2006. Even if we have heard it, have at it. Just post the hunt, (pics if you got them), that stands out 'to you,' as the best, or most fun, best luck, worst luck, whatever is your "most memorable", for "whatever reason." We will have an Electronic, GT album of memory lane here. :supergrin:

I'll get the ball rolling with an 'edited addition' i posted already.

November deer hunt 2005:

8pt./6pt,/33
    Well, I don't have pics, 'or' a PC that would even know what they are, but, i "got a deer/turkey story anyway."

Friday morning i went out behind the ranch house at the bottom of our 'rear most canyon rim,' and got to the edge of a 25 acre meadow, (that my brother plowed up, and was 'supposed to have planted' months ago and "did not"), so, it has various 'little grasses and weeds' there. At the far corner of this meadow is an old junky lookin box, that was once up on a tower frame, as a deer stand. My brother pushed it off a few years ago for some weird reason and it just lays on the ground, "in a heap." It was made for migets! (like my brother). I am 6' and 195 #'s.

I decided to crawl in this 'little box,' and sleep, uh, i mean hunt!
    So, after 20 minutes or so, in the slight mist, and breeze, the sun began to bring the light on everything.

I heard what sounded like jet bombers coming over my head one after another.....'Knowing' they were turkeys, i thought well, maybe not a buck today, but at least a bird. They landed in the plowed field about 50 feet from my little "crumpled up busted up box," i was in.

I started counting, and i landed on 33, since they were moving around so much it was a hard count. I pulled the Glock G20 10mm out of a holster with velcro on it, and when the velcro went craaaaaaack, ALL the turkeys 'came towards my little box,' (guys you gotta understand, this box looks like a hummer ran over it) !

Now i have these 33 turkeys standing 10/12 FEET, yes i said FEET, from the little window of the box i was in, and staring at it.
    I eased the Glock ever so slow, to the little window, placed it on the "Bearded Lady," excuse me, that is a Hen with a 7" beard. ;)

I put the bead on her head and squeezed the trigger, and "CLICK."
    Yep, 'mis-fire,' from using an after market 4 # striker spring!!

They all backed up about 30 feet, and i cycled another round in real quick, that did it man, 33 heads running a cajillion directions at warp speed! I picked out one, gave some lead, "BOOM"! Missed!
    (what did you exspect?) :supergrin:

So knowing, they will all "regather" there again in 30 minutes or so, i waited and dozed. While trying to 'shift positions' in this craker box, something caught my eye, a deer, a doe, i thought. It was about 200 yds, and heading away at the fence line, BUT, then it changed its mind and jumped the fence and came into the delicious plowed field 'full of weeds.'

So, what the heck, i was after meat anyway. I stuck the 26" barrel of my Rem. 7mm mag out the so called 'window,' in the box i was in, put the scope on 5X, and 'behold' it is an 8 point buck, and fairly nice. He was headed for the creek crossing and mesquite. I whistled, he stopped, i aimed, fired, one dead deer. So, took care of him, washed up, and drove all the way into town, to the local grease joint for breakfast!

The next morning, i went again, got back in the ole box, (great place to sleep, as long as you don't have to move, or manipulate a 26" barrel around) !

Anyway, after sqeezing in there and taking off my jacket, (that had the struggle of being in a rubber room trying to get out of a straight jacket) ! I saw a deer, the scope showed antlers, he must have heard be bumping and knocking around in there, and so he took off.

He was trotting pretty good, headed for the fence, and then he would have disapeared into the cactus/mesquite, i gave some lead, (which is very difficult to do in a craker box, and your body twisted enough to snap your spine), and i fired. "Thump," and he went down on his butt, uh oh, round two, he went down and out!

Nice 6 point! So, after all this excitment, I cleaned my deer, cleaned up myself, and headed all the way to town, to the little grease joint for a hardy breakfast!

Now, i want you to know, that if the "Real Tree crew" comes to the ranch to film a hunt, ( they won't ), i would like to see them do it in that stinking little box, and it would be a "Real Tree comedy flick." :cool:

There ya go, 33/8PT./6PT.

Let's hear your stories.

CanyonMan

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Here's two for you.

First was in January. I was hunting/guiding a fella from BC, Canada during an annual get together some buddies and I have each year for coyotes. The weather wasn't all that great for us that day, but what the hell. We ran around the desert, had some success calling but there was always a 'gotcha' and nothing was taken. Just a run of bad luck all day.

No worries though. Dave has been a gold prospector for the past 40 some years, travelled all over the world and in between stands we had good conversation.

It was getting near sundown and I ran us out to a place I was pretty sure we could pick up a bobcat. We got set and I got the call running. It was a very close stand. Max shot about 35 yards. About 15 minutes in I hear a shot and look to see what Dave had killed. Instead of a dead bobcat, there was a live one standing about 30 yards out. I was in a way bad spot to take a shot. Had to twist all around and I figured it would bugger off once I started moving. I gave it a go and I promptly missed the thing.

Now both Dave and I were using single shots. And as he was stuffing another round in his gun the bobcat loped off into the brush. I just sat there and watched it trying to figure out what happened. I've gotten so used to things falling down after I pull a trigger, the whole thing was surreal.

I tracked it for about 60 yards, but then lost the trail.

A whole day of rotten luck and then to get a bobcat, still as a statue at 30 yards and both miss. Not much you can do but laugh at a day filled with that kind of luck. Which we did all the way back to camp.

3 days later I popped that bobcat in the morning, which is good because if I would have missed again I'd figure he was a 'magic' cat. I sent the pelt off to Dave to remember his hunt.

The second was in late February. I was out with a buddy chasing lions in the mountains. We climbed up a canyon wall hoping the find a nice easy ridge and instead found a knife edge. Rimmed out we followed it down into the next canyon. On the way down a pretty steep slope I ducked under a branch and felt my saddle slip. Next thing I knew I was eyeball to eyeball with my horse, saddle on his shoulder.

I then looked down. Never, ever look down. It was a good 600 feet and it didn't look like a very comfortable fall. After a quick vision of bouncing down a mountain, I snapped up and managed to get a hold of a branch to pull myself off the horse. He was happy. I on the other hand was dangling over the edge wondering how long that juniper would hold me up.

So I called out to my buddy, trying not to sound too distressed and let him know that "I need a bit of assistance." He turned and said flatly, "What in the hell are you doing out there?". I replied, "I just wanted a better view." He was giggling like a school girl the whole time. After I got my boots back on solid ground I joined him. It was much funnier then.

No cat on that trip.

3. noway

noway

good post canyonman ;)

I had a good year for the 2005 season and can't complain. Looking forward for the same thing this season but in a dying need I need to get a big game animal killed with the recurve and hopefully it's a hog.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yes, you did do well in 2005, and what a nice buck you got! ;)
    You had a pretty interesting season in 2006 for turkey though, with the decoys getting shot! :supergrin:

I believe that this is "your year" for the bow my man, so be encouraged, and practise hard this summer.

Keep those broadheads sharp for porky! ;)

CanyonMan

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

LOL.

Well, i have been told for several years that my 'saddle is slipping.' :supergrin:

I understand your experience, and that is a 'good story.' Swinging from Juniper's is not part of the plan man! I am sure your friend busted a gut though.

Be careful.

Keep your cinch tight! ;)

CanyonMan

6. wade farley

wade farley Sonic 357 sig

:cool:I got a Squirrel with my 410. Does that count!? :2gun:

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Depends on wether he weighed over 20 pounds or not! :supergrin:

CanyonMan