close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I’ve officially given up on local gun shops.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jim goose, Feb 14, 2018.

1. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I work for myself so I respect small businesses, and I have never ordered anything online until last yr.

Today after delivering flowers I took it upon myself to visit 3 lgs looking for a gen 2. unicorn. When I asked one shop some sloppy looking guy in his chair said“they keep those for themselves”. Allrighty then.

Then I visit my local guy, who I’ve done about 10 deals with, plus referrals from my own client base, including two kimber’s just last week, and he won’t budge 25 bucks on a trade in. He wants to give me half what I paid for a Glock 3 months ago and I want another used gun in his case.

It occurred to me he does not want to sell the guns on consignment when he’s got a new one in the next cabinet.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ChTony, Jimmy Jesus, SH10151 and 4 others like this.
  2. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet Silver Member

I understand the whole support your LGS thing but I've noticed that most LGSs either don't have specific items in stock or are too pricey to justify. The classic LGSs are dying out IMO replaced by big-box sporting goods stores or here-today/gone-tomorrow shops that never seem overly friendly.

3. TUCCI

TUCCI

Yeah me too. ..pretty much useless. Won't be long before they'll go by the way of the dinosaur giving way to online and big stores like Cabelas etc .

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I had my local shop near me for many years. Family owned and operated. Had a good repertoire with them, and they even waived a tax on a gun that I bought from them once. They went out of business unexpectedly a few years ago, and now there's nothing here.

Not sure what I'm gonna do when I want a new gun....I guess I could go to Oregon and have it shipped to an FFL here (at least that way I'll be avoiding the $45 Washington firearms tax), but I'm willing to bet that wouldn't be very cheap. On top of the transfer fee, the receiving FFL likely charges a background check fee as well.

Sigh. Yeah, this modern era of gun stores really sucks. It's no wonder more and more people are buying online.

5. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Yep. I want to trade my LNIB safe queen P238 for a Ruger LCR .357. Trade is roughly half what I paid for the Sig new. On the other hand, it is how they make their income and business expenses.

Neldon likes this.
  6. jdmb03

jdmb03

I also gave up on local shops. I like to support local small businesses but I'm not a sucker. My local guy has a non-night sight HK P30 4" 9mm for $930. Many local shops are overpriced.

Trades are similar. I understand they have to make money but their trade values are insulting.

7. jonb32248

jonb32248

Back before Christmas I was in the market for a single stack 9mm to be exact a Honor Guard 9mm. When i checked around three local stores said yes they sell the gun if I wanted to order it. Are you serious, I can do that. If I wanted to I canorder it from a number of places. i want it in your store so I can buy it here. As it turns out the gun had a drop safety issue so I ended up buying a Walther PPS M2 from Bud's after going to Bass pro and seeing it for $140. more. Forget Pawn shops.

8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

It's not just that. In MY experience, the shops that low-ball you tend to the the same kind of a-holes that, when you go in to try and sell your $1,000+ Robar-Custom Glock, they'll whip out the Blue Book and quote you the mid-range value for a used standard Glock.

I learned long ago that, the second you see that book, you turn around and walk away.

9. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I feel no pain for private FFL's. If they choose not to compete, it is their loss.

10. fg17

fg17

Most of the small shops around here also run an internet business also.

11. scoose

scoose Nugent for prez

I have heard EXACTLY that from two LGSs in my area. When they get that nice rifle or pistol that ya just don't see too often it goes into their personal collection. I can't say that I blame them but to tell your customer that is a big turn off. I don't go to those LGSs anymore because I know they wont have what I am looking for.

I still have a couple LGSs that I like to frequent but unfortunately they are all being pushed into the same business model. The internet is really hurting the LGSs on margin, thats why they dont want to trade. You are better off to go in and swing a deal on something you find outright, and sell your piece online for a better price.

There is room to deal on new guns in some places depending on how they buy from the dist or manufacturer.

12. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Pawn shops are my ulcer. Every one of the ones I've stepped into think their used guns and guitars are worth more than NIB MSRP. I asked one owner about it once regarding a Beretta 92FS. He said some sucker will come along eventually and buy it. He was right. He said he should have priced it even higher. It wasn't me but at least he was honest about it.

JoeOU1 and Taco Junkie like this.
  13. 987 LTW

987 LTW

Oh man. I absolutely love my LGS. Family run place. Fun to hang out in. Good stock of guns. They remember my name (despite not buying a lot). Funny banter back and forth, Quick. Answers emails on Sundays (when they are closed). I actually look for excuses to go in there! They are a unicorn, for sure!

Oh. I almost forgot. Everything there is about 15% off Cabelas/Bass pro prices, too.

G19 fan, Bean44, Lefty0616 and 7 others like this.
  14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

After my local mom & pop shop went under, a chain store opened up here (I believe they were based in Seattle). I went in there a week or two after Newtown, and they had a used Colt 6920 on the wall for $3,000.

Some guy came in off the sidewalk while I was in there and gave them an ear-full about it. I patted him on the back, shook his hand, and left.

They didn't even last a year.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  15. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

We happen to have a really good LGS. Guy moves a ton of guns and has a great inventory.

Lefty0616 likes this.
  16. treg

treg

My LGS is awesome.
    Gun prices are right there with the internet and the same with reloading equipment and supplies.
    Service after the sale is top notch too.

glock1097 likes this.
  17. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I talked to a lgs last yr who told me he had 500 cherry guns in his collection. Pre war SW is a good retirement strategy.

Im stumped now. I have a gun sitting in his case he will make money on and I could sell it here fast or keep it. But then why go back and pay him for the other when I’m hung out for 25 bucks?

18. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I'm very much in favor of spending as much money at the LGS as plausible but on the other hand I will come right out and tell them I don't mind helping out with the electric bill but I'm sure as hell not going to pay the whole thing.

19. maxmanta

maxmanta

I'm at the point where, when I want to buy a gun, I am very specific about what I want. More often than not, I can only find it on line.

The LGS just handles the transfer.

JoeOU1, khfrench, mrasgt and 2 others like this.
  20. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I agree, that’s why I’ll pay, or give up 50-100 on every trade. But when I send you two guys who buy a pair of 1000$ kimber’s just days before?? Plus I’m offering him 468 for a used gen 3 g23 when I could buy one on the internet for $100 less. Just shabby.

Loyalty is worth zero nowadays.