Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 year old boat, welded ‘Grizzly’ by Tracker. I haven’t used it much the last few years, it’s in excellent shape. I thought I’d try the supposed hot boat market, so I listed it. I first checked new & similar used prices. Since it’s almost zero maintenance & I have plenty of room to park it, no reason to give it away.

I had a guy who wanted the boat, without the 15 hp 4-stroke, we settled on a price. He was in FL on vacation, home in a few days. In the interim, I sold the motor separately. The guy got home, then said he was stymied trying to borrow some $$ for the boat, $4500 with accessories. I gave him a few days then reactivated ad.

After some back & forth with a few I deactivated my ad. An idea I had was getting another motor, lighter. That’s the direction I’m going now, I’m surrounded by lakes, don’t live on water. I fixed a few minor things on the trailer, may get some new tires.

Tomorrow FedEx is supposed to deliver a Honda 8 HP 4-Stroke. It’s about the only one I saw in stock anywhere, from TN. I was looking for an even lighter 2-stroke, not easily found. I know I’ll be under average power with a 16’ boat, growing up rowing I think it’ll be fine. I even bought some new jigs the other week.

If I ever retire I think I’ll need a boat anyway.
688071A9-E0EB-4E0D-8B14-1BFC91AB077B.jpeg

·
Registered
203 Posts
I thought it would be about how you almost had a boating accident, but changed your mind.

·
Registered
43,600 Posts
Over/Under.....in the water twice this year.

I'll take the under.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I bought a newer, but used, boat last Labor Day. I love the boat but sure haven't used it as much as I'd hoped. Even retired, travel, bad weather and now a record high lake are keeping the boat at home. Hopefully the lake will drop some soon and I'll give her a workout.
If it's enough power you're gonna love that Honda engine.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,461 Posts
Is 8hp enough to replace the 15hp?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No trolling, usually just moving to another side of the modest lake. The boat is often lightly loaded too. If for some reason it doesn’t work out, I’ll adjust.

1st things 1st though, heading West Sunday for prairie dogging.

·
Native Mainiac
23,804 Posts
No trolling, usually just moving to another side of the modest lake. The boat is often lightly loaded too. If for some reason it doesn’t work out, I’ll adjust.

1st things 1st though, heading West Sunday for prairie dogging.
I was prairie dogging this morning for a while after my first cup of coffee and a Camel.

But nice boat and while the 8HP ain't gonna get you up on a plane, it will sip gas and be great for trolling....

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Selling a paid for boat is like selling a gun. Once you sell it you are looking for another.

My neighbor has three boats...all paid in full. Some summers he is lucky to get any of them in the water. But they are all in good shape and there have been years he gets them out a dozen or more times. One nice thing is he leaves one up north so when the family goes on vacation he isn’t pulling it back and forth.

As for me? The only thing better than owning a boat is having friends who do.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Over the years I have thought often about getting a boat. Then I remember that I find fishing boring after about 30 minutes, and an hour in a boat, any boat, has me wanting to get back to shore. So an occasional rental is what works for me.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
A small, simple boat like you have is the way to go. Low maintenance and easy to use. Some people go for all the bells and whistles, then get inundated with the maintenance.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Some day....

Now I just have time to play the occasional golf. But when my daughter is off to college, I hope to start fishing again. Fishing is one of those activities that never stops pulling on your soul.

·
Pinky Out
60,565 Posts
How much for the boat without the trailer and motor?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts