Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.theblaze.com/news/fire-marshal-restaurant-manager-jail-police-social-distancing

The president of a Houston restaurant said the fire marshal threatened his general manager with jail after he refused to order police to leave an outdoor area adjacent to the restaurant where officers were eating, KTRK-TV reported, noting the dust-up was over coronavirus social distancing rules.

Buffalo Grille has been feeding first responders for free since April 1 and will continue doing so through Saturday due to an anonymous donation it received.
Prior to the donation Buffalo Grille has been giving first responders a 50% discount for years, KPRC-TV reported.

Well, on Monday a Houston firefighter came to the restaurant to get a free meal and told the general manager that a group of Houston police officers eating outside at a table needed to leave right away, KPRC said.

The general manager didn't feel comfortable telling the officers to leave, so the fire department member asked the officers to leave instead, restaurant president John McAleer told KTRK.

"About 15 minutes later, another set of police officers were there, and the fire marshal came and asked them to leave and wrote us a notice of violation, I believe is what it's called," McAleer added to KTRK. "We were surprised about it, but it is what it is. If we are in violation of it, we'll take the notice."

McAleer also told KTRK the fire marshal threatened the Buffalo Grille general manager with jail if it happened again.

"My manager's understanding is that if this does happen again that he will go to jail," McAleer told the station. "This is the understanding that he had from the fire marshal."

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,643 Posts
Show me a law on the books that says we have to social distance. No law=no citation or jail.

·
Unfair Facist
27,044 Posts
And what exactly was he going to charge them with?

I would have violated social distancing rules by getting in his face and seeing what he wanted to do about it.

I would also find out the make, model, color and license tag of is pov and let the rest of the dept. Know to be on the lookout for any and all traffic violations by him while driving.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Probably frustrated he couldn’t make it in the police academy, And became a firefighter instead. In my years in the fire service I worked with a few like that. Always had a hard on (jealousy) for Law Enforcement. Liked to think since we wore badges and had woo woo lights we were cops of a sort. Thankfully a lot of them washed out in time.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Part of Houston Fire Chief's response:
"Both departments (HFD and HPD) are working diligently to enforce the spirit of the County's Stay-Home order. With every one of the hundreds of complaint responses, the primary goal for HFD's Occupancy Task Force has been to achieve voluntary compliance with the order through information and education."

???? The Houston Fire Department is "enforcing" the "Stay-Home order"??? Huh?

Is anyone here from that area? I take it the FD and PD don't get along? I am assuming, as always, there is more to all this.

Why in the HECK is the FD "enforcing" orders? I would be shocked if my Fire Chief told us to enforce anything! We do fire and rescue, Police do police things. Seems to work.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts

·
Unfair Facist
27,044 Posts
What the heck is an "occupancy task force?

And Houston FD HAS nine occupancy task force teams?

Sounds like HFD is over staffed if they can devote that kind of resources to that B.S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
In Texas, yes they are. For the purpose of criminal investigations on fire crimes. It allows them to use the LE Crime information system, among other things. They can and do enforce fire safety code. And can enforce any Law on Texas books. But they usually don't, they tend to keep to their area of Expertise, unless an emergency requires them to take action.
ReDeemed has it right, some FM's have a power complex.
None of the FM's I have worked w/ have, but I have heard about it.

Reactions: 3007

·
Registered
726 Posts
Talk about a power complex, My city has about 5 or 6 "City Marshall's" in addition to the regular Police Dept. These guys have been having a field day enforcing the "stay off the Beach" "don't eat in the restaurant parking lot" "Stay 6 feet apart rules" due to the Pandemic.

Now don't get me wrong, I know they have a job to do, and their supervisor may be pushing them a little too hard to do what they are doing, but the other day they fined a restaurant owner I think $1000.00 because people were eating their to-go-orders in his parking lot. The ticket was promptly dropped, but really? Then my friend's car was "red tagged" for being parked on the street in front of his house for more than 24 hours....Come on, where is he supposed to go? We are sheltering in place, let him leave his car parked!!

·
Way too busy
5,048 Posts
What the heck is an "occupancy task force?

And Houston FD HAS nine occupancy task force teams?

Sounds like HFD is over staffed if they can devote that kind of resources to that B.S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Which is interesting because as of last year they were supposedly going to have to lay off a metric ton of firefighters to make up for the salary parity with the cops that they won in arbitration..

Wonder what happened to that..

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
This story raises two important questions:

Which of the cops in the first group had been sleeping with the female firefighter?
How long has the fire marshal been sleeping with the same female firefighter?

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,959 Posts
I hope the mgr allows himself to be arrested, refuses bail or release and makes his case in court...we need some court cases to get into the system...I know it would be difficult for him to take one for the "team"...but perhaps he is patriotic enough to do so...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts