I’ll never buy a used car again

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glockman4, Apr 9, 2020.

1. ray9898

ray9898

Do you just flat make things up or what?

mdlott, Jade Falcon, fg17 and 4 others like this.
  2. 63Bravo

63Bravo

My life story with Ford.
    I inherited a low mileage Lincoln with the 4.6
    Just like every other Ford I have tried to own, It’s garbage.

Kawabuggy likes this.

3. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

agree! Consider the year as well. In 09 US manufactures where struggling to survive. Had to cheap out somewhere.

4. DAKA

DAKA

Unless YOU have knowledge about the car you are buying (research) always have a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) by a GOOD mechanic, and a look under it is always a good idea...or a lease turn in CPO...with good records

larry_minn and Aurora like this.
  5. Iron bottom

Iron bottom

Some people wouldn't have a car that would start from the seat. Somebody will buy it from you.

6. thinkfast

thinkfast

Different strokes for different folks. I like that my wife gets to drive a loaded Explorer Limited with all the doo-dads she wanted for half price of new. We got it 5 yrs old with 38,000 on it. It's needed a control arm and a blend door actuator, less than $200.00 in repairs. The new skins cost 550, and new pads and rotors front and rear ran 300, so we're around a grand in upkeep. Since she lives 12 miles from work, that stuff should last several years. She got 11 years out of a GM 3800 Series II that still looked decent when we sold it, so she's cool about not running us broke on cars!

Buying a sales volume leader like an Explorer doesn't necessarily mean it's good. But parts are cheap and plentiful and there are a zillion YouTubes on fixing stuff.

It's the easiest car to change oil, trans fluid, and coolant. I love that it doesn't have splash shields to take off. It's NEVER going to go off road so I'm glad this car based crossover doesn't have stupid shields. Oil change is 30 minutes, and that's including cleanup and loafing around enjoying some garage time.

I don't fool myself into believing it's the best made midsize SUV. But The Mrs. gets to enjoy a $45k SUV for 21k. Our income and savings goals do not meld with 700.00 car payments. But I'm not jealous of, nor do I hold it against anyone who can buy a brand new car every 3-5 years. That would be awesome.

Honda and Toyota are cheaping out on stuff now too. Plenty of plastic passages under the hoods that used to be made out of metal. As GM, Ford, and FiatChryslerRam have cheaped out, Honda and Toyota know they can cheap out too--as long as they make their stuff just a little better, they can still claim "most reliable" and "best resale value" and all that. It's like a race to the bottom and there are no winners.

nrajeff, DaveJ, mdlott and 5 others like this.
  7. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Anybody that thinks any brand of vehicle is better than any other is not doing research imo. Every brand has good and bad. Brand loyalty gets you nothing.

8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Yes, all I buy are certified used Toyotas and I don’t plan on switching it up anytime soon.

9. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Well, I'll never buy a new vehicle again. I'll let somebody else enjoy that new car smell and take that big hit in the wallet when they drive it off the lot.

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Losers buy new cars. :dunno:

kody1234 likes this.
  11. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Honda. Change the oil. Replace the water pump and belts every 100k. And it will run till you're tired of looking at it.

faceplant, Rinspeed and dbak like this.
  12. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Get it with 0% financing and incentives and the hit isnt bad at all. However you have to have excellent credit.

13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

TURD fully describes most of the posts you have made since you signed up here. :dunno:

mdlott and raven5 like this.
  14. billkill

billkill

Fixed your post for you.
    Bought my first new truck (S10) in 1996, sold it in 2008 when I bought my second new truck (1500 Silverado), plan on keeping it for another year or two and buy another new truck. None of these vehicles owed me a damn thing.

Kentucky fan likes this.
  15. 63Bravo

63Bravo

That is a fact.
    Run and run and run and run!

Tuner Sandwich likes this.
  16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Interest rate on the money you borrow to buy a new vehicle has nothing to do with the instant depreciation when that new car becomes a "used" car. Even paying cash can't fix that.

badge315 likes this.
  17. Gfive45

Gfive45

After all those years... I must be the very luckiest Explorer, Jeep, Durango and Silverado owner in the world.
    :waving:

Eddy Current likes this.
  18. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    Ford came fairly close to making a fabulous motor, with the 4.6 and even 5.4......................sadly, they didn't quite pull it off.

My son's company vehicle 5.4 has @ 250k on it and I suspect he will have it for a while longer. It has had the usual issues in that time, so has not been trouble free.

19. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

All I have ever bought was used. I have never spent over 10 grand. Was putting 15 to 25 k a year on them and always drove them for four to five years with only putting routine parts into them. I don’t understand people that put 30+ k into a vehicle they switch out every four or five years? For the life of me don’t understand leasing. Yeah I really want to pay all the depreciation plus put a nice profit into the dealers pocket only to turn it in so they can sell it again. No thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badge315 and FullClip like this.
  20. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

It's funny that you mention "they haven't given you any problems".. That seems to be a common phrase that Ford owners use to justify owning a POS... It's usually right after that they then go on to say "it's only ever needed the engine replaced twice, the transmission 3 times, all the brakes, the hub bearings, the A/C system, etc.... That's typically ONE of the 2 Ford camps... The 2nd Ford camp is the guy that rolls in with a truck that should not legally be allowed back on the road.. He has never replaced ANYTHING on the truck, and yes he can say honestly "I've not had to replace anything on the truck" because it NEEDS everything replaced in order to make it safe, or roadworthy again. I have one of those here at my shop right now. 1995 Ford F-150 that needs brakes, hub bearings, the rear diff is making a groaning/grinding noise anytime the vehicle is moving, the interior looks like a hand grenade went off inside, the trans is bad, the check engine light was on when it arrived and when we scanned it-22 different codes! The engine has almost ZERO oil pressure at idle when hot. Makes a rod knocking noise when you first start it up for several seconds... 216K miles.. Final estimate $6800 to replace essentially the entire drive-train.. He laughed and said.. "I have never put more than $100 in repairs in that truck".. I agreed it was obvious he had not. We will put him down as a 2nd club turd owner.

Is somebody sucking the blue-oval tit.. Butt-hurt much? There is an "ignore" feature on this web site.. Maybe you should employ it.