I’ll never buy a used car again

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glockman4, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Glockman4

Glockman4

Soooo I always wanted a Ford Panther platform car just for my work commute. Preferably a Town Car, but I settled on a 2009 Grand Marquis that I found local. I posted a question about the Carfax on it a while back and got my questions cleared up, so I bought it. 5 grand, what could go wrong right?

Well I drove it pretty extensively when I went to check it out. Rode pretty much like you’d expect an 11 year old car would, some rattle on interior parts but nothing out of the ordinary. Solid engine with no noise good transmission, smooth shifting. No leaks and the brake pads were new. All ok there. My first mistake was not bringing a code reader with me, but more on that later.

Two days after I got it, the engine light came on. Wonderful. Took it to my buddy’s place, he hooked it up to the reader. Cylinder 6 misfire. Pulled the coil out, spark plug hole is full of yellow, nasty smelling liquid. Coolant? water? Who knows. Blew it out, re-installed the coil, no more misfire. I noticed the coolant reservoir was low, so I topped it off. For the next couple weeks, I noticed the level would change, and the heater would start to blow cold after a while.

Anyone that knows about the Ford modular 4.6’s knows that the old intake manifolds would crack and leak. The newer ones with the aluminum crossover were supposed to solve this. I had a sneaking suspicion that the manifold on this car had a leak somewhere but the ground underneath and the engine valley were always dry. I was driving it one morning and got 5 miles down the road and the engine temp gauge wasn’t rising at all. This was after I replaced the thermostat thinking that would solve the heater issue (it helped but didn’t stop it from going cold completely). Took the stat housing off and there was a piece of plastic stuck in the stat, holding it open. Great, now I know the manifold is ****ed. Ordered an OE replacement manifold online and took it to the shop. 5 hours of labor and $500 later, new manifold is on. Seems to run fine, heater STILL doesn’t work right.

Today I went to check the oil and I’ve got crusting coolant leaks around the stat housing, under the aluminum crossover where it connects, and around at least 2 coolant ports where the manifold meets the block on each side of the engine. TWO WEEKS after the replacement was put on, and it is already failing spectacularly.

I’ve had it with this damn thing. It’s a pile of ****. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, the intake manifold, and done 2 coolant flushes and it still doesn’t work right. I’m going to take it back to the shop tomorrow morning to see what they say but I’m guessing I’m gonna be SOL on this one. I’ve never bought a used car before this and I’ll never do it again. It isn’t worth the gamble and the headache. Figured I’d be ok since this was like one of the top five most reliable and bullet proof cars that Ford ever made, but no dice.

Thankfully I can still buy out my 3 year old Sierra from the leasing company, it’s almost as good as new still.

I’ll never understand why people buy used if they have to deal with this on a regular basis. At least fixing guns is fun..

2. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

If you buy a used car, always have a trusted professional mechanic take a look at the car before you buy it.

3. Lockedout

Lockedout

Just to make sure you won't go wrong. Yes, I agree with you.

4. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It depends on you. A $5k car you need to check out. I like under 20k miles. No hits. Often you can scare seller before you even waste time looking at it in person.
    That how close are they to couple shops I found online. That the unit will be taken for inspection “if I like it, we can get close on price”...
    It’s AMAZING how quick contact with seller ends when they hear you will have it placed on hoist, inspected. (Even by yourself at place that they had a hoist). “You have your guys put it on hoist, look it. Then we look it over with flashlights”
    End contact. Also buy from private party. Spend time talking with them. It’s easy to catch lies...

6. Speleothem

Speleothem

The first car I bought was the only used car I've had.
    It was a Mazda with the Wankel engine.
    It tended to backfire at stoplights.
    People were taking cover. :D

mj9mm, pizza_pablo, mc1911 and 3 others like this.
  7. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

It's not that "used cars" are the problem.. It's the Blue Oval on the front of the TURD that you purchased. Buy a used Toyota, or Lexus, and your experience will be completely different.

The only mistake you made was buying a product from the lowest quality auto manufacturer here in the US. Don't beat yourself up.. If you look around there are a LOT of Blue Oval turds rolling around.. It might trick you into thinking that they may be "okay" cars because there are so many right? WRONG! Don't buy JUNK and you won't have JUNK CAR problems. Hopefully this will be your LAST Blue Oval TURD.

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You never disappoint. HH

GVIFlyer, Haldor, 87'vette and 13 others like this.
  9. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

Just doing my part to try and help dissuade the general public from buying the STD of car manufacturers.

We had a lady in this week that purchased a Ford Explorer (2015) brand new as she wanted something "reliable".. Vehicle has 86K miles on it and the transmission (6F50) failed leaving her with a $3200 bill to replace it. Car is not worth $1500, much less the $3200 it needs for the trans replacement... I felt sorry for her.. But decisions have consequences and when you poop the bed, you should not complain about sleeping in the stink.. I used to feel sorry for people when they would start crying about the problems repairing their ford JUNK caused them.. Now I just realize... Life is tough, and when you buy piles of **** for transportation.. It's tougher..

10. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Only buy Japanese cars.

Shagrat, milsurpy, R_P_K_ and 6 others like this.
  11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Some people have amazing reasons to hate certain brands. Some people can almost be logical about cars.
    I have looked at other brands. But wind up back with FORD most of the time. Dodge was a huge mistake. 60k my sister put most of the miles on a 2wd. Transmission shot. It couldn’t handle driving over a 4” hump without the spark computer acting up. Fit finish terrible...
    Buick’s. I liked but short life cars. 150k maintained. It’s time to get rid of. Chevy pickups are good. (I will deny this but some are better the FORD’s current trucks) Most of their cars, crossover are cheap made.

12. Sechott

Sechott

I bought a '88 Toyota pickup in '09, a '07 Toyota RAV4 in '13 and a '12 Toyota Corolla in '18. I had to replace the water pump and an O2 sensor the the RAV4.

13. Dave514

Dave514

Unfortunately true.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  14. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Or Korean. I'm on my 3rd used Korean cars. 1 KIA, and 2 Hyundai, all purchased under $5000. Battery, brakes, and tires is all that's needed. I replaced the brakes myself.

My next car is gonna be a C8.

15. anjroid86

anjroid86

My first vehical was a 1960 chevy Apache 10. Replaced the 283 manual with a 350 auto. Power steering went out once. Went through several more vehicles since my teen years and all have been japanese except for the mercury mountaineer which was a huge mistak . Bought a 2015 honda crz in 2016. Everything works. I've added a few mods here and there. It's slow as hell, but looks good and gets great gas milage.

nrajeff likes this.
  16. MatGlock

MatGlock

Had you bought a new car you would have lost over $5 grand before you left the lot....Used cars come with some risks, but can save you a lot of money. I recently bought a new to me beater 2005 f150...it’s not perfect but has been very reliable at $4100...if I get 40k out of it I’ll be happy...if it breaks and needs anything major I will throw it away.

Agonizer, pizza_pablo and Sechott like this.
  17. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

Korean vehicles are tanks. I know they used to catch a lot of hate back in the day, but I've had nothing but great experiences with them. My wife currently drives a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with ~240k miles on it. Outside of regular maintenance, I spent ~1,000 two years ago to put a new AC in it. That's it. I'm going to keep her in that car until it doesn't run anymore or becomes unsafe, then I'll put her in a new Hyundai Palisade; similar size to the domestic manufacturer's full size SUV's at half the cost and FAR more reliable. We drive explorers for work and I would never put my own money into purchasing one.

Honestly, after the experiences we've had with the brand, I doubt any of her future vehicles will be anything but Hyundai.

jimcorbin likes this.
  18. pgg00

pgg00

Well. I guess i should get rid of my fords I've had for over 20 years and that haven't given me any problems. today i learned they are junk :(

19. 63Bravo

63Bravo

You can’t polish a dog turd.

cghelton, Kawabuggy and ZekerMan like this.
  20. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

A lot of taxi drivers, limo drivers etc. loved the Ford Panther platform.

The problem is a dishonest seller.

If I were to buy a Town Car/Crown Vic type car I would look for a one elderly owner car where the reason they are selling is that they cannot drive anymore or they died.

If you are in no hurry you could probably find something like that for $5,000 or less.