I’d watch out for Bass Pro/Cabelas

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Folsom_Prison, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Got on ammo seek mid last week and found Winchester 9mm brass for 12.99 a box. I clicked the link for the bass pro website and it re directed me. Showed in stock so I ordered 1000 rounds. Got the email confirmation right away saying order processing.

Went to Cabelas yesterday after I got on their website and searched my local store. Said they had blazer brass 45 ACP in stock. I head over and they didn’t have a damn thing but a few boxes of 41 magnum. Not sure why I but I got this weird feeling and checked my credit card to see if bass pro had billed me for the 9mm ammo I ordered.... nope. Find the confirmation email and click the product description and I get directed to a tab saying product that no longer exists.

I tried calling to see what was up, good luck with that. After that point I just emailed them and told them to cancel . Got a email back a while later saying your Backorder for xxxx product has been canceled.

Haven’t dealt with bass pro much but I used to be a Cabelas junkie. Last I checked they’re owned by the same outfit now. After this deal I’m done with them. Seems like some deceitful practices to me.

2. Maxw

Maxw

Same problems with them and primers a while back, excuse they were merging their systems. That struck me as a huge steaming pile of male bovine residue.

buddyd157, catman71 and Folsom_Prison like this.

3. JMS

JMS 02

It’s their MO, trying to get people to their site and buy other products.

Valmet, catman71, 10or45 and 2 others like this.
  4. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Whatever software they use to manage inventory/stock is fubar.

On reddit's gun deals some people actually receive the items(ammo) they order quickly when the website shows these deals, others are put in back-order/refund purgatory.

I wish you the best of luck.

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Didnt they merge over a year ago or more?

6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Well I wish them the best of luck with that, I’m done. Like i said I used to go to cabelas a lot and spend some money. Only one time did I ever order something from them online and had shipped to the store.

I was a little over 280$ for a 1000 round of 9mm brass shipped to me with thag recent order. Guess if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Ive ordered a lot of stuff online through the years. It’s either in stock or it isn’t. If it wasn’t or something happened I was notified. Almost a week after I placed the order and canceled did I know it was backorder. Yea thanks for letting me know!

8. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I recently ordered some .223 ammo from Cabelas. It was hollow point for 8.99 a box and free shipping. I got it in a timely manner and given what is going on in the world right now, I thought it was a great price. I also ordered some 30 round Pmags from them for 11.99. Again, not bad pricing and free shipping.

I was shocked as their pricing at the store is usually retail plus 20%.

J-Doo and Folsom_Prison like this.
  9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Glad you had a good first hand, now I’m wondering if you got lucky though.

10. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Before Bass Pro bought them they would have ads in their flyer that didn't exist in the stores. They wouldn't honor the flyer ads. Bait and deny. They are worse now since they've re arranged the stores splitting up items to where you need to go down each aisle to find all stocked items that are similar. The one in Tulalip has brass split over different aisles as an example.

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

They should be outed for this if they haven’t.

10or45 likes this.
  12. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Went into Cabelas a month or so ago. First time since the merger. The Cabelas smell is gone. The gun vault was bare shelves. Absolutely no reason to go in anymore.

13. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I’m not a Cabela’s fan.

if you want some women’s flannel vests, it’s pretty good. If you want waders during duck season, you’re out of luck

14. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Bass Pro's website shows ammo as in stock even if it's backordered.

A few months ago, I placed an order with Bass Pro for ammo. The ammo showed in stock at the time. A day or two later, they emailed me and said the order would be delayed for several weeks. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't care. The ammo was delivered several weeks later.

I then placed a second order with them. Exact same thing happened.

If you need your ammo right now, Bass Pro probably isn't the way to go. But if you can wait, they do have decent prices in this current market and they aren't a bad deal.

whsbuss and Folsom_Prison like this.
  15. cbetts1

cbetts1

I am starting to see this pattern on internet orders with big box named stores. This type of thing happened to me when ordering from Target and Walmart (twice) when attempting to order a gift for my father for Fathers Day.

Walmart will show that it is in stock, you order then you get a text/email later saying it is not in stock and will arrive at this later date for pickup. You can cancel the order but it gives you a pending cancellation notice. The order will not be cancelled until it arrives in the store and sits for approx 7 days in the pickup box. Once you haven't picked it up, they will send a message telling you order is cancelling/cancelled.

Target: They showed 3 in stock but didn't have it. Got msg, cancelled and they cancelled order.

16. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I like Bass Pro and Cabelas. Before the Covid disaster they had a good selection of ammunition and at least one brand of target 9mm always seemed to be on sale. I watch their ads and usually buy sale items. They do price match gun prices. And yeah the Cabelas gun library is pretty slim right now, as are all other gun shops.

...maybe the real reason I go to Cabelas is Uncle Buck’s Fish Batter Mix. Good stuff.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    J-Doo likes this.
  17. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I used to order from Cabela's before there was even an internet, and liked their stuff. My favorite were the stone-washed canvas shirts...you could get them in "tall" sizes. I was glad to hear that they were opening a store in Maine, even if it was 160 miles away.
    I even bought a couple guns from them in the "Gun Library" at the Scarborough store.
    They have gone to crap since being taken over by Bass Pro Shops. Clothing is just regular crap now, prices have gone up....they are not "dead to me", but on life support.

18. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

I only buy fishing stuff there. For guns and ammo I go elsewhere.

Bluescot likes this.
  19. porschedog

porschedog

Bass Pro Shops acquired Cabelas

20. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

I ordered some 9mm back on March. Was in stock. Got an email said it was back ordered. It did show up 3-4 weeks later.

Not terrible. But still feels like a bait to fill their future orders while not actually having onhand.

shooterMcGee likes this.