Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 1st car for my soon to be 16yr old daughter. She's not thrilled about my choices (Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla) and is trying to talk me into a Hyundai Tiburon. Admittedly they are a nice looking car and I have heard Hyundai quality has improved immensely over the years but I don't know enough about them to make a decision. Are they reliable? Safe? Economical? Any input would be appreciated, we are looking at 1999-2005 models. Thanks! :wavey:

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
Looking for a 1st car for my soon to be 16yr old daughter. She's not thrilled about my choices (Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla) and is trying to talk me into a Hyundai Tiburon. Admittedly they are a nice looking car and I have heard Hyundai quality has improved immensely over the years but I don't know enough about them to make a decision. Are they reliable? Safe? Economical? Any input would be appreciated, we are looking at 1999-2005 models. Thanks! :wavey:
Have owned Hyundais with great success but never a Tiburon. I believe Eyescream knows quite a bit about them. Hope this helps. HH

·
Banned
1,172 Posts
The only help I can give you is extremely anecdotal. I know three people who own one. I do not know the year of the vehicles. I do know that all three people have been driving the same car for 5-10 years with no problems.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
The later the better. Around 1999 is when their quality started getting better IIRC. I don't know if there are any specific things to look for on those behicles though.

Check the govt website for safety ratings.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
unless she is paying for it, she can deal with YOUR choices...but I never had any problems with mine.
This. Also,isn't the tiburon the sports car? Do you really want a 16 year old driving in a sports car? I'd hate to see the insurance bill.

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
This. Also,isn't the tiburon the sports car? Do you really want a 16 year old driving in a sports car? I'd hate to see the insurance bill.
That's the Genesis (although with rear seats it can't be a "sportscar".) The Tiburon is a coupe like the old Celica. HH

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
IIRC it's not much of a sports car. About like a Celica, or the new Cougars (which I drove). 2 door, but with only ~200hp or so.

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
A parent should enforce some principles for their children.

One of those principles ought to be "don't buy fake sports cars", and that's exactly what the Tiburon is. You have standards in your family.

·
Boom Shacka
2,423 Posts
My personal thing is. I will not buy a Hyundai or Kia. Why? It this area we use salt. About 25% of the cars I see. The engine cradles are rotting out. :wow:

You do not want to get a car that is a sports car for a beginner driver. Think safety. She needs some metal around her. Insurance will also suck.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
of the Choices you listed above I would go with Honda Civic

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
My personal thing is. I will not buy a Hyundai or Kia. Why? It this area we use salt. About 25% of the cars I see. The engine cradles are rotting out. :wow:

You do not want to get a car that is a sports car for a beginner driver. Think safety. She needs some metal around her. Insurance will also suck.
Safety? The Tiburon is comparable to the Civic or Corolla for most years going by the NHTSA ratings. And the insurance isn't that bad.

·
Firm member
30,190 Posts
A parent should enforce some principles for their children.

One of those principles ought to be "don't buy fake sports cars", and that's exactly what the Tiburon is. You have standards in your family.
It was sold as a Coupe (I-4) and GT Coupe (V-6) which are very accurate descriptions of non-sports cars. But you knew that... HH

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Sister has one. She got it a new a couple years ago...Its a zippy little car...push the skinny pedal down and it moves. Not a whole lot of room in it. (Im 6', and its pretty much a no-go for me)

Back seat is there, but hardly use able. She got into a fender bender on the freeway, pushed in the driver side front corner pretty good, but all is well/safe. Not a bad rig! She drives it back and forth from Portland, OR to N. Idaho every two weeks to come home from school and hasn't had a problem yet. Pretty good car.

·
Grape flavored!
810 Posts
My first car, a hand-me-down from grandfather, was a Pinto Station Wagon. (This car is pretty much "birth control on wheels".)

I wouldn't put much stock in what she "wants". As a 16 year-old she will likely mess up her first car, so cheap/safe/disposable is primary.

When it's time for the second car, I would look to upgrade. Not before.

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
It was sold as a Coupe (I-4) and GT Coupe (V-6) which are very accurate descriptions of non-sports cars. But you knew that... HH
I agree with you, the insurance companies (tend to) agree with you.

But marketing is a funny thing in what it says without saying it.

The Tiburon is like a perfectly nice girl slapping on a ridiculous set of heels, short skirt, and half a pound of makeup in hopes someone will find her attractive since she's pretending to be something she's not. If only she realized that she's a perfectly nice girl without that unfitting image.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I think they are all too small for safety. Mid-Size is the smallest I would go to. Compacts are tin cans.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts