Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Retseh, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Retseh

Retseh

So my wife convinced me to test drive the Genesis Coupe 3.8 today, 306hp and the salesman said " I really want you to push this car", so I did.

All I can say is:

1. Thank god there were no cops around
    2. Brembo brakes are worth the money
    3. I haven't had to correct oversteer in a long, long time (traction control off).
    4. I now want to own said vehicle.

This car is perfect for my mid-life crisis, screw the Porsches.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

As someone who has gone to Porsche Racing School, I shake my head at your last sentence. Oversteer wouldn't have been an issue with a Porsche LOL.

3. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

It's a nice car.
    Consistantly finishes just behind the V6 Camaro (305 hp 275 tq) in comparisons.

Just note, that for the price of a loaded Genesis, you're getting close
    to V8 Camaro territory. :thumbsup:

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

As someone who's crashed a Porsche worth more than his house due to the legendary Porsche Pendulum, you obviously aren't trying hard enough. :tongueout:

Genesis is a damned cool vehicle though.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Were the batteries in the remote unit weak Ken? :tongueout: :tempted:

:supergrin: How the heck are ya doing, bud?

'Drew

6. BobbyT

BobbyT

He might be talking about a mid-engined Boxter (or Cayman), as opposed to the grippy-but-snap-oversteering rear-engined 911.

7. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

Doesnt come close to a 370Z... For the price, you are not getting as much as you can get... and its a Hyundai, LOL.... resale value sucks assssss...

8. tercel89

tercel89

I looked at them and they are nice for what they are , but I wouldnt buy car that is made in Korea . Hyundais and Kias tend to have lots of problems crop up . The warranty is good but you'll be using it alot .
    I'd stick with Japanese .

9. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I like oversteer. I dislike traction control. I'll do that myself, thanks.

10. opskmallory

opskmallory

As far as performance coupes go, I don't know if I could do a Genesis Coupe. They look badass, but it seems like there are better options. But for sedans, I'd highly consider a Genesis.

11. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I've got a friend that works for a Subaru/Hyundai dealer in town. Until recently he's always driven Subarus around. That was until he started taking out the 2010's. He said they were some of the tighest vehicles he had ever driven. No odd little noises, all the gaps perfect etc... he was amazed. He compared it to the A8 he used to drive.

The Genesis is a bad *** ride..

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

On our third Hyundai. Wife went from an Accent GT, to an Elantra GT, to our currently 4 year old Tucson. We've got 58k miles and not a problem.

Uhh...and never used the warranty -- ON ANY OF THEM.

Some people have no clue...:upeyes:

13. hamburger

hamburger

Hyundai's are moving up in the world. Their reliability issue is an old reputation and their warrenty in the past came at an extra cost. Not anymore. Their cars have had a lot less mechanical problems in the last few years.

Compare price of rear wheel drive car with a limit slip diff. Hyundai's cost a lot less then it's competition (ex Nissan's Z), without limit slip differential, your car is like a ONE wheel drive car when you try to launch it.

A smart finacial move on their part is to Korean citizens that can not get a low finance apr here, they are using their credit to get loans from Korean banks over seas at a much lower interest rates.

Watch out auto makers. They're moving up

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Silver,

I like the Hyundai vehicles. I drove a Sonata while my clunker was out on warranty repair... it got the job done. Thrifty Car Rental also has a lot of Elantra's in their fleet.

I have to admit, their vehicles do not fit my current needs, but if I ever needed a car, a Hyundai would be as good as anything for the money.

'Drew

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

I drive a Boxster... they don't have snap lift-throttle oversteer like the ***-engined cars do, but you can definitely get one sideways if you aren't paying attention.

16. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I hear ya. It fits the bill for her. If she wanted to roll around in a Lexus SUV, she could...she doesn't care about the big emblem on the front.

A car is NOT an investment. Resale may suck, but she gonna drive it until she can't anymore (or so she says). They're good, reliable cars that have come a LONG way. That's why we've owned 3.

I'd love to try that Genesis Coupe out! I'd like to compare it to my 350z that I miss so dearly...

17. Officer X

Officer X

I got my 2009 Veracruz AWD back in July and no problems at all with it yet, I am very happy with the new Hyundai.

This is our second one, my wife had a 2001 Sonata that she put about 70k mles on until we traded up to an SUV for her and the 2 kids.

If I had the funds to get another, I would seriously look at the Genesis.

18. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

I agree with silver. Some of my friends have owned hyundai's and so far they all have been great. One of my buddy's bought an elantra brand new in 2001, drove it problem free for 70k miles then bought a brand new 04 and had zero problems with that as well.

19. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Spoke like someone that has no idea what they are talking about. Plus, about half of the line is built in the US.

When you say Japanese, I hope you're leaving out Toyota :wavey:

Oh yeah and "Tercel"? Really? You're bagging on Hyundai with a name like that?

20. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I've been looking at the Genesis coupe and some of the available upgrades. The 3.8 V6 is undergoing a lot of R&D and with some moderate improvements are producing over 500hp. As these cars grow in popularity, the aftermarket will grow by leaps and bounds.