close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hypothyroidism and Radiation exposure

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Averageman, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Averageman

Averageman

So my thyroid has given up the fight and no longer works. Meds, exersize and diet all change and I'm living with a high level of fatigue.
    A little google work and come to find out, the thyroid is effected by constant exposure to low level radiation. Hmmmmm, like 30 years working on DU Tanks?
    If you were working around these vehicles, go get yourself checked out.
    I'm gonna see the VA when I get home.

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

<--Not a doctor, just an ex-Navy nuke/rad worker.

"Radiation" is a term that strikes fear in people and gets tossed around a lot. Sort of like the term "crime". Truth is, both 'radiation' and 'crime' need to be taken in context.

'What kind'? There's jay walking, and there's murder. There's beta and there's gamma.

'How much'? A DUI will get you in trouble. Your 15th DUI will get you in a lot more trouble. Same goes for acute radiation exposure.

It's too hard to go through the full list of analogies, but you get the idea.

Unless you wore dosimetry while you worked around the DU, it's doubtful you have any idea how much ionizing radiation you've been exposed to. However, the .mil should definately be able to tell you the average exposure someone with your job is subject to over a year. Don't be surprised if it's very little, if any.

Fact is, we are all exposed to some sort of ionizing radiation nearly all the time. Just like we're all exposed to some sort of crime, nearly all the time. If you eat bananas, live in a brick house or take vacations in the mountains, you're exposed to more ionizing radiation than the average schmuck who doesn't do any of these things.

Take care of your health and get this checked out, but don't be surprised if radiation exposure is not deemed as causal to your issues.

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

My father's doctor claims he has borderline low thyroid hormone output. His first prescription was way too much for him. The doctor cut it in half. He lost a lot of weight. He wasn't overweight to begin with though. He likes the weight loss because his knees are going bad. The medicine has him sleeping very little and running around all day. He can't sit still. He didn't have any diet changes. What diet changes did you make? My doctor looked at my family medical history and said he found the fact that my father has hypothyroid, "strange." I didn't ask why he thought so, but I now wish I had asked him why he thought that. My father's doctor didn't reduce his prescription after his weight loss. Even with his bad knees he runs around all day now because he can't sit still. The medicine can cause weakness in the bones. My father has had skin cancer and avoids the sun. He asked the doctor to check his bone density and it was low. I told him to have his doctor check that because of what I read about his medicine. He takes vitamin D and calcium now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Averageman

Averageman

A multivitamin and 50,000 units of vitamin D once a week now, it was daily for the first 3 weeks. I take the thyroid medicine daily.
    I have no idea what kind of dose of radiation I was exposed to, but I will make sure I find out. Depleted Uranium is very low and didnt require a dosimeter. I have however worked with the DU when it was welded and ground for welding. I have also had the constant low level exposure for 30 years and been exposed to vehicles that were shot with DU penetrators, which raises the exposure level.
    I would suppose that it could be incidental, but my Doctor was pretty surprised when I asked him if there might be a connection.
    Anyway I will look in to it and hope if other have had the same exposure they will too.
    Thanks
    A/M

5. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

DU or depleted uranium is what's left after you remove most of the radioactive isotopes from uranium. DU is very mildly radioactive, but then again so is most of planet.

If you were exposed to the processing of DU or the aftereffects of DU munitions then it is possible you might have some reason to worry. Being around DU armor? Not very likely. You pretty much have to ingest it to be at risk.

http://web.ead.anl.gov/uranium/guide/depletedu/health/index.cfm

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012