Hypothetical G17 recoil stresses on frame reduction.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Ozzie Jim, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Ozzie Jim

Ozzie Jim

Life, liberty and defending that freedom.

If you could only have one hand gun for self defence.
    What measures would you take to ensure the longevity of that firearm.

For me I would choose a full frame 9mm Glock, like a 17... or 18.
    Glock because it's ugly as sin, but ingenious in its design and reliability.
    As far as the ballistics choice, 9mm is very common and easy to obtain.
    Full frame because when the defection hits the oscillation and adrenaline kicks in I'd rather have every bit of help controlling my follow up shots that I can.

The question is what measures can be taken to reduce the stresses exhorted to the weapon during operation.
    IE changing the spring to reduce the slide impact and installing slide buffers for frame protection, running lighter powder loads and grain ammo to reduce recoil, installing longer stainless steel anti corrosion treated barrels, etc.

Remember one gun. That's it. You need to install every preemptive measure you can think of to keep that tool operational.

2. mtstream

mtstream

I wouldn't install anything "preemptive." For the greatest level of reliability and functionality across the largest breadth of ammo, keep it stock.

My preemptive efforts are properly cleaning, lubricating and maintaining the gun (especially the springs). Do that and you can run hundreds of thousands of rounds through a Glock

Ozzie Jim likes this.

3. Ozzie Jim

Ozzie Jim

Appreciated, however I don't think that this approach addressed the main question.

What can be added to reduce the amount of stresses exhorted during operation?

Or another way to phrase the question

How can you over engineer the already ultra reliable?