close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HVAC question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Minnow, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Minnow

Minnow

Will a non programmable electronic thermostat make any difference in heating/cooling cost?
    Mom & Dad want one in his house because the lighted keypad will be easier for them to see. Someone is always home so there is no need to change the temperature setting. We were looking at some Honeywell models online and when dad seen that they were accurate to +/- 1 degree, he thinks his bill will go up in cost because the system will run too much to keep the more accurate temperature. He says the old thermostat is accurate to +/-3 degrees.
    He has two AC/Heat units outside, one for upstairs and one for down. Gas heat and electric AC with heat pumps.
    If an electronic thermostat is recommended, what non programmable model would be recommended. I'm thinking that if it is possible to change myself, I would go down to Home Depot and pick one up and swap them out for him.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I think you can make adjustments on the settings so that the offset will be different. It should not make any difference in cost but can't they just use a flashlight and look at the thermostat?

3. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

The mosty energy savings will be achieved by using the Energy Saver Switch, already on the Stat..

It's called the OFF switch.

Why do they need a lighted stat? Do they fiddle with it all the time? They shouldn't do that.

If they need to fiddle with it, then you need to get a programmable stat w/ a cover.. so they can't fiddle.

Parents can be worse than children.. :whistling:

4. Minnow

Minnow

That is what they do now. If its a simple swap then I'll put them up a lighted one.

5. Minnow

Minnow

:rofl: I'll call them tonight and let them know. Off is not an option as it'll be in the teens tonight. They do tend to fiddle with it and they complain that the bedroom gets cooler than the main area of the house where the thermostat is.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

They have two units.. so they have two stats, right?

Be a nice guy and move the upstairs stat to the bedroom.. :wavey:

7. Gareth68

Gareth68

I partially close my vents in select rooms to leave the rooms I frequent slightly warmer/cooler than those I do not.

8. Minnow

Minnow

Ya, they got two stats. The coolness issue is upstairs only. It is probably not a good idea for me to attempt to move the thermostat to the the bedroom. I know nothing about these systems so that would be left to an expert.

9. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

I've got hot water baseboard in my house, with three zones. One zone also controls the A/C. Just put three new Honeywell stats in - this is the one I used for the heat / cool zone:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-...ital-Round-Thermostat-Premier-White-4092000-p

Great outfit to deal with, and fantastic stats. A more accurate thermostat WILL NOT cause your HVAC system to run more or cost you more money... it'll just do a better job of regulating temperature. These have backlighting that comes on any time you change the temperature setting and stays on for several seconds before timing out - OR you can push the lower half of the face plate (see the light bulb icon) to turn the light on manually.

I really like them. Didn't find them any place locally, so I ordered from the link above.

10. flyerI

flyerI

My experience with the last 2 houses I had built is that HVAC installers for new homes don't know or care about what they are installing. They just bid a job for a contrator and throw in the cheapest unit they can. Consequently you get under sized units and uneven airflow in different rooms.

You can put zone dampers in an existing system that will increase the airflow to certain rooms (your parents room) at night or other times as needed. It would require a thermostat in their bedroom and it would control the dampers changing the upstairs level into two separte zones. It is probably a little more complicated than that but it can be done.

11. chris in va

chris in va

I bought a townhouse back in 2000 and it came with the analog dial thermostat. I installed an el cheapo programmable but mainly just had it set 5 degrees warmer during the day. The weather conditions were pretty much the same, and I immediately noticed a drop in my electric bill by about 30%. Can't really tell you why it made a difference though.

12. gunguy25

gunguy25

Advice from a HVAC guy. Most digital stat that arent programable still have to be set to the system and there is a option to change the differental +/-1 to+/-3. It can be a pain. Yes you can have zone dampners in, but can get very expensive. You cheapest option is the adjust the dampners on the registers in the other rooms. The problem is their furnace is probably on the opposite side of the house than their bedroom. Start closest to the furnace closing the registers alittle bit in the room. It should help alot. Rooms that have more than one vent you might try closing one all together.

13. j-glock22

j-glock22

Sounds like a airflow balance problem between various rooms. Depending on your setup, part-closing a vent may be sufficient to solve the problem, but I found with my system (this may not work efficiently with your system) I partially block my trunk lines that go to various parts of my home, so that I have a good balance of temperatures in all rooms.... But this situation may benifit from an HVAC tech doing an audit and check for potential leaks or other issues that may be causing the trouble, may be a simple easy fix. good luck

14. Minnow

Minnow

Thanks everybody. I'm gonna start by closing dampers halfway in a couple of the least used bedrooms which are not slept in and ask them to open up those doors which are typically closed. Maybe the airflow will be better between rooms. So gunguy25, is this thermostat replacement something the average do it your selfer can handle by themselves or should it be left to a professional?