Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Most mackinest
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 year old cracker jack house that was put together by drunk elves.

My fart fan in the main floor bathroom took a dump on me (pun intended) and so I went and picked up a replacement. I removed the old one, including the motor assy and housing since I just wanted to replace it all ($17 at Ace Hardware).

The ducting that runs to the fan is a 3" and has a few elbows but is rigid. It rests in the joists and the ceiling in the bathroom is artificially low compared to the adjacent hallway. There is no attic access to this ducting and no way to get to it other than the 8" x 8" cutout for the fan.

The lazy aceholes that put this place together did a crap job putting the ducting together and there is a weird section that has an elbow or flex where it probably wasn't needed. They slapped some sheet metal screws into it and called it a day.

It's leaky and clearly vents into the void between the first and second floor as there are dust bunnies all over that area. I want to fix it to lessen the flammable crap being blown between floors and to ensure the toxic dumps my family and guests take are ported outside rather than into the interior walls of my house.

Is there any way to get to this crap with any HVAC specific extensions for tools or any hot shot ideas to fix this without having to cut my GD bathroom ceiling out?

It's about 2-3 feet from the opening for the fan (ish)....

Any genius ideas?

I'm thinking about trying to find a semi rigid collared 3 inch flex section long enough to go from the fan inlet to that crappy section but I don't know how to get to it without cutting the hell out of my drywall and frankly I don't need that in my life right now. :supergrin:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1589566617863_6667125623571494721.jpeg

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Can you reach in and touch it? If so, I would pull the screws out and slide the elbow toward the gap and then duct tape it. Not great but it would work. The other thing would be to pull then end you can control out and lengthen it so it fits properly.

Is this a half bath? I am a bit surprised no mold from shower steam.

·
NRA Member
1,423 Posts
Duct tape what you can reach, then expanding foam with an extension tube. Fixing it may make it worse.

Reactions: Cochese

·
Registered
43,659 Posts
Yup.

qsvfb1v1tfqowsikua0t.jpg

s-l400-1.jpg

Reactions: Cochese

·
Most mackinest
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can't duck it, **** it.

Thanks for the advice, gents.

Luckily I'm 603 and have a hell of a wingspan. Standing on the toilet with my face against the ceiling, I could get my fingertips there just barely.

Took me 20 minutes but I got the shiny silver tape up there. I used segments to close off the gap and then managed to get longer pieces over those.

It was a hell of a battle. New housing is in. Fan is wired and plugged in. Motor insert/plate is in. Tested and working. Gotta let the blood back into my body from my fingers then I'll put the damn cover on.

It's a half bath/powder room off the main hall, no shower or tub. It's the main ****ter for 4 people and I needed the fart fan back in service asap.

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
OP has got it handled, and it sounds like he used the right tape (aluminum PSA tape) so I will redirect my comment.

After years as a carpenter/GC, and years of seeing and replacing/repairing way too many examples of extreme hackmanship, and hearing some real doozy examples of “fine craftsmanship” (dripping sarcasm), I have reached one conclusion.

There are way too many hacks out there who shouldn’t be allowed to touch any tools beyond a shovel. Replacing a light bulb should be the legal limit for these geniuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: volky
1 - 7 of 7 Posts