close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Husky/Super Cub

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glocknsail, Jul 20, 2004.

1. glocknsail

glocknsail

Any J-3 type owners out here?

2. JonnyB

JonnyB Millennium Member

Sorry, man, but the thread confuses me. The title is Husky/Super Cub, yet you ask about J3 owners. Eh?

The Husky is to a J3 as a S&W .500 magnum is to a .22 single action revolver. Well, maybe not *that* extreme, but still... The Husky has 180 hp, a constant-speed prop, and a gross weight of 2000 pounds. The J3 came with 65 hp, a fixed-pitch prop, and gw ranging from 1100 to 1320 lb. Huskies cruise at around 135mph, rather than the 70-75 for a J3. PA-18s range from the early 1950s 90hp to the new Cub Crafters' 180hp Top Cub. They still fly at 90-100 mph, though, even with lots of engine. With big engines, they do take off short, and climb like mad, though.

I'm rebuilding a '58 Champ after it was substantially damaged in a groundloop. Older brother owns a 2000 Husky A1B on amphibs. My older son's father-in-law owns a 2000 American Champion Explorer (Citabria).

I've *flown* a 150 hp Super Cub for just over an hour; way, way fun. Ain't never been in a J3, though. I did own a '41 J5A project that I was building up as an experimental. She's in Havana, Florida, with a 160 hp Lycoming on her nose these days. The J5 is a 3-seat (one up front; two skinny people in back) fore-runner of the PA-12.

I would really, really like to own a Super Cub or a PA-12. The price of either is through the roof, though. Even J3s are much spendier than the Champs - slower, too. ;-)

JB

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No, I don't own a J3.

But, if I had only known then what I know now.;Q

[​IMG]

4. glocknsail

glocknsail

As JB noted so kindly, the Husky is an offspring of the J-3 Cub. The Husky on floats is on the 5 year plan for me, so I am starting my research now. I should pick up my seaplane rating this fall.

So, does your brother like it? Good points, bad points.

5. JonnyB

JonnyB Millennium Member

You asked: "So, does your brother like it? Good points, bad points."

He traded a '95 American Champion Scout on the Husky, and I think he sometimes kicks himself. The Scout was just as fast, almost as good at short-field work, and a heck of a lot more comfortable. I think they look nicer, too... The Husky carries 50 gallons of gas, compared to the 36 of the Scout (72 is optional on the Scout, though).

The Husky is a bear to get into/out of, same as a Super Cub. You sit on the door sill, swing your feet in, then grab onto the frame tubes near the windshield and lift your butt into the seat. The back seat is a bit easier, but not for fat or tall people.

He has trouble keeping the #3 cylinder head temp below the redline. He burns a lot of gas, because when he leans the mixture, the temp goes up.

The paint and finish aren't all thet great (although the Scout wasn't much better), but the interior's nice. His has the Oregon Aero seats - Very Nice!. The panel is 'fat' also, with a Garmin 430 GPS - way spendy - and she's capable of (but may not be approved for) real IFR. The trim sucks rocks! It's just a bungee that puts more or less pressure on the stick, rather than actually moving anything on the tail. The trim on a Cub is awesome!

It's on WipLine amphibs, which offer a higher gross weight, so the useful load is good - better than the Scout, which is why he traded. He puts retractable skis on in the winter.

On floats, the 'cool' factor is high, and he always gets a lot of gawkers at fly-ins, but you can't put 'cool' in the bank or in the fuel tank.

Overall, it's a great aircraft. The Super Cub guys look down their noses at them, but compared to the Cub, they're very close in performance - except speed. Those that have flown both say that you can't fly a Husky as though it was a Super Cub, and expect the same results. You need to get *way* behind the power curve on the Husky, get the nose in the air, and drag it in. Bro' is a very conservative flier, and never comes close to getting everything out of the Husky, no did he with the Scout. I've ridden it, but not actually flown it.

JB

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

M2 - Here's your plane: N98324
    Aircraft Serial Number : 18491
    Aircraft Manufacturer : PIPER
    Model : J3C-65
    Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
    Model : A&C65 SERIES
    Aircraft Year : 1946
    Owner Name : VENTURA AIR LLC
    Owner Address : C/O CORPORATION TRUST CO
    : 1209 ORANGE ST
    WILMINGTON, DE, 19801
    Type of Owner : Corporation
    Registration Date : 30-Apr-2004
    Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Hey, thanks.
    It's nice to know that old girl is still kicking.:)

It hasn't moved very far.
    That picture was taken near Baltimore, Maryland in 1960.

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Its a Cub!