close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hushmail? About ready to part ways with google..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Jan 25, 2012.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Anyone use an email account at hushmail.com?

Some tinfoiler recommended it for privacy, and I wonder how it is?

I'm starting to get really annoyed(and a little concerned) with google and it connecting almost everything I do.

I need something trustworthy enough to link to my paypal account and to use for work/school.

I hate hotmail and yahoo, btw.

2. Knighj1

Knighj1

3. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Don't know much about hushmail.com but the following is interesting about Gmail.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...c=al_comboNE_b
    Quote:
    Google said Tuesday it will require users to allow the company to follow their activities across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a radical shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices.

https://plus.google.com/112336147904...ts/ZGm85P3kPsk
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G00gle+
    You agreed to let Google know about your contacts and mails when you started using Gmail.
    You agreed to let Google know about your photos when you started using Picasa.
    You agreed to let Google know where you are when you started using Latitude.
    You agreed to let Google know what people you interact with and what you are interested in when you started using Google+.
    You agreed to let Google store your documents for you when you started using Docs.

4. RedTop

RedTop

:rofl:I like that term...

I've never used hushmail or google. I do have an old Yahoo account where I dump all of my registration email, etc... to. That is in no way tied to my real account I use for real email. (Through my ISP)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. RedTop

RedTop

Yep... Never give your real info out there, especially to google.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This troubles me with Gmail. They don't have my real info, but geez. I'm honestly considering switching my Gmail account off, and going back to AOL.com. Google may find this one blowing up in their face (anyone remember Netflix?)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. BWT

BWT

I use Hushmail, and for the price, you can't get a better deal on a secure email account IMHO.

8. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

All that sharing stuff starts March 1st of this year. I'd like to find someplace else to use for email too.
    How about Google search engine? Is there anything else to use instead?

9. HiddenEyes

HiddenEyes It can be done

I mostly use bing.com now. Been happy so far. They do some tracking of their own, but not to google levels yet. A few times a helpful link was on the first page a bing and google never even found it. I did the same searchs on both in the begining and now I don't bother.

Mr. HE:cool:

10. jp3975

jp3975

I dont know why it matters. They just use it to put up ads on the side that help them make money in ads.

I would imagine that I could email a friend about how I plan to murder someone and then write again when I do it and tell them all about it with pics even...and do it multiple times and never be caught because Google shared that info with police.

11. geofri

I'm convinced it isn't starting, but has been going on, and they are only announcing the change to protect unauthorized discovery.

For a search engine, https://startpage.com/ uses google, but through a proxy. It gives me different results though.. maybe because google is customizing my results?

12. RedTop

RedTop

Tracking can work the other way too. Suppose they sell your 'Likes' or preferences to those online retailers... No more discount for you!

13. geofri

You really think that's all? Keep believing if it helps you sleep.
    Just what I've learned in my marketing classes is more than I want to know.

14. jp3975

jp3975

Do tell. Maybe youre right. But is my assumption that you could email people about illegal activities and get away with it not correct?

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Our University just moved over to GMail for our service!

16. geofri

I'm sure you can say illegal stuff in email and get away with it. I have talked about enough about stuff to draw attention to myself I'm sure, but no suits yet.

Google works with the government.. That's enough to creep me out.

I'd be lying to say specifics, because I don't have any on google off the top of my head, but it's a data miner. It's not a search engine. In exchange for data, if provides is with all these conveniences.. Similar to Facebook.
    There is absolutely no limit to data storage now, so there is no reason not to save everything.

They build profiles. They know what time you visit site X, how long you take a scan a webpage, they can figure out what you read by how long you dwell on what. The list goes on. They sell a lot of that info as long as it's not personally identifiable. The thing is there are easy ways to "reverse engineer", to see who it's from and reveal everything.

Even grocery stores collect enough to know what you will be back to purchase milk. It's not out of the question that they will remind you you're almost out of milk when you are(should be) getting low, companies are pondering it and the best way to start doing it.

Not google but:
    I logged into amazon the other day, and displayed right next to a textbook I was viewing, it said "john doe( a friend of mine) and xx,000 others likes us".
    I wasn't logged into facebook, and amazon knew John was my friend!

17. geofri

WOW!

Just today, for a class, I had to link it to my gmail account( and give it my password!) for a website/teaching aid website.

18. Glock Man_G19

Glock Man_G19

Yes...

https://www.ixquick.com/

19. geofri

20. GAFinch

GAFinch

You think AOL would be better about data mining? I remember back in the day you could add another email address with them and start getting spam before you even used the account.