Hurricane Scenario

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Xandrosi, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Xandrosi

Xandrosi

Now that I have a gas generator for my home, I can stay during a Category 1 hurricane with minimal impact. During Katrina, there were armed looters and the police were stretched way too thin. If my home was secure, I could easily see walking the immediate neighborhood to make sure nobody was injured. The potential to run into armed looters though is real, especially with the police already short-staffed. The nature of New Orleans flooding could briefly cut off my neighborhood to a normal vehicle. I have an AR-15 and 9mm, as well as my CCL. That said, I could see myself accidentally getting shot by a tired cop. Should I even consider patrolling my neighborhood looking for anyone injured and to dissuade looters? How would you approach this?

Slight change, the water has receded enough to make looting more possible, but also police accessible. I'm guessing at that point I approach a cruiser unarmed and offer to help, taking their direction about how to proceed.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

9mm concealed, sure. AR15 visible? I wouldn't. In addition to police mistaking you for a looter, the same could happen with countless nervous homeowners, community watch folks, etc.

Best,
    Mas

Randylahey53 likes this.

3. Xandrosi

Xandrosi

Mas, thank you for your advice. While I'll carry concealed, I choose not to make people unnecessarily nervous just because I can. That could get me accidentally shot. After a hurricane is an extraordinary time that always puts everyone on edge, but especially with poverty escalating.