close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting with a pellet gun .177 vs. .22 cal.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Kcolg, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

Looking for more of a challenge in hunting small game and was wondering if anyone else hunts with a pellet/BB gun. If so what caliber and make.

I am having trouble deciding between .177 and .22 caliber for the air rifle. The .177 provides more velocity out of most rifles, however the .22 provides more down range energy.

I guess it is the old arguement of velocity vs. energy, and I am sorry to bring it up again, but I feel one over the other may really make more of a difference in these lighter weight projectiles.

I am not looking at dropping a lot of money into the sport, maybe $75. Will probably buy something at wal-mart or bass pro shop.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

you'd be greatly served by getting the newer 1000fps .177 than a cheaper 875fps type model. i have a few rirles varying in max velocity and i noticed a dramatic difference between the lower velocities and the 1000+. my small game is pretty much pigeons, but from what i learned there applies to rabbits and squirrels as well i believe. that extra velocity allowed me to shoot through the wing into the body. without it i couldn't penetrate the wing. also lower velocities would sometimes deflect off of breast feathers instead of penetrating. the fps isn't much more, but the extra 125fps did the trick and those problems stopped. just my experience.

3. Ron3

Ron3

I like the .177's. Less air resistance, flatter trajectory, more penetration.

The only thing nicer about the .22's I thought was it's easier to handle the pellets without dropping them!

Ron3

4. Guest

.20 ;f

5. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

sjstill - ".20"

Nice suggestion but it is hard to find a rifle in that caliber let alone ammo at a local store.

So far the vote has been to velocity over energy.

6. gary paugh

gary paugh

I had a RWS 48 in .177 I could only get two types of pellets to shoot out of it beman silver jet was the bestgot a crow with it at 72yrds

I always thought .22 cal would be better as far as pellet choices that would shoot good.

Gary

7. Ghost Shooter

Ghost Shooter Who? Me?

Kcolg, you might want to check your local game laws regarding using an air rifle for small game. In Georgia, air rifles of any type are not allowed to be used on state defined small game animals. Pigeons, crows, and sparrows are considered "non-game animals" and are (pun intended) fair game. As far as caliber is concerned, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Very few air rifles, even a fearsome Beeman Kodiak .25, come close to matching the energy of a .22LR, so stalking and making good shots are more important than caliber. I agree with mpol777, get a good air rifle because some manufacturers claim 1000fps, but don't make it. Also try to stay away from the Chinese made air rifles: their mainsprings tend to break quickly (I had one that was an enticing $57, but the piston mainspring broke in less than a year. Now I have a RWS Diana 34 for close to 10 years and it still shoots great.)

Hope this helps,

Ghost

8. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

Small game is legal with air rifles in Missouri (ie. rabbit, squirrel, frogs....)

How about the Crosman line of air rifles that rate 1000 fps? Are they any good? The RWS and Beeman lines are so expensive...I just can't see spending $180+ for an air gun.

9. N1PJ

N1PJ NRA Member

I personally would use a 177 caliber pellet rifle. I do have both calibers. I think the 177 is more acurate than the 22 pelet gun.