close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting TV Shows - After Kill Celebrations

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Short Cut, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

If you are like me you enjoy watching hunting shows when you get a chance. There is a wide range of actions after the game is harvested. These go from a handshake and congratulations to endzone style high-five dances. What are your thoughts on the after kill celebrations seen on many of these shows?

2. hcook

hcook

You mean other than "I wish that was me..." ?

3. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Nope, I mean what are your thoughts. Thanks for posting them.

4. hcook

hcook

Sorry, should have put a :) or a ;) after my previous post...

My thoughts:

1) I wish I could get an animal like that...
    2) Great shot!
    3) Man, I can't wait until [insert hunting season] is here...
    4) I wonder how much a guided hunt like that would cost...
    5) What beautiful scenery!
    6) I'm glad I don't have to hike back down that mountain...
    7) I'm glad I'm not out in that [insert inclement weather]...
    8) Alaska... I've GOT to go hunting in Alaska at least once...
    9) I need to practice shooting my bow more often. I'd *never* make a shot like that...
    10) I wish I could get paid to go hunting...

5. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

6. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Just from personal experience, I know that reactions can vary depending on a number of factors.

Whether it was a doe for meat or a big buck that you had worked for can make a big difference in the mood after the kill.

I've had mixed feelings about hunting shows on TV and the celebration after the kill. Some seem so subdued you wonder why they even bother to hunt, if it means that little. Others are so wild that you wonder how it is viewed by the non-hunting public who happen to see it and don't know the elation of a successful hunt.

IMO, high fives and dances are fine, just don't do stupid stuff like firing into the air or doing stupid acts with the animal.

7. vafish

vafish

My only thought is I wished I had time (and the cable channels) to watch hunting shows.

Of course I'd much rather spend the time in the fields hunting than watching hunting on TV.

8. DentedCasing

DentedCasing

I think Ted Nugent's show is definitely the best. He always thanks the spirit of the animal and compliments its beauty. Then of course, there is talk about the circle of life and other poignant topics.

Of the people in the world that are insane, he is my favorite.

DC

9. EOD3

EOD3

I personally think most hunting shows focus too much on killing and not enough on hunting. The ones that annoy me the most are Dove and Duck hunting shows. For the most part you get two to four guys blasting away with shotguns and what you see looks a lot more like slaughter than hunting. :(

On the other hand, I get a good chuckle when the hunter and guide are either in their blind or on a stalk whispering for the camera, then the hunter cuts loose with a 300 Winchester and turns to the camera and whispers that he thinks it was a good shot. I figure you might as well talk out loud, that Winchester has almost certainly alerted the deer to your presence. ;f

10. noway

noway

Personally I could care less to the after hunt celebration and nor have I've seen any shows that showed anything that was worthy of a comment or thought from me.

The only shows that I've enjoyed are the guys climging the mountain for goats or the Guys that climb the ranges in the Yukon hunting big 4 leg game. That's a test of endurance, smarts and enviroment.

I just wish that I had that kinda of $$$s and the time.

11. Gunny Lingus

Gunny Lingus Think it moved

Who was it that said:

"When you get to the end zone, act like you have been there before".

I don't think a handshake with a hunting buddy is out of the question, much more than that is a little much.

12. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I say whatever floats their boats is fine with me, as I know I’ll never take any crap & poop from another (Especially from a fellow hunter!) for my reactions.

13. jchast

jchast Draw Yer Gun!

There ya go. ;c

14. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I guess the only time I was ever really offended by any of the hunting shows was when a guy and his girlfriend or wife were sitting up in a treestand about 10' off the ground and about 10' from a little wooden shack. They had baited a little black bear into the shack and the woman makes a "wonderful" shot with her scoped rifle @ 10'. You should have seen all the hooting and hollering. Made me want to puke straight up!

IF folks like that want some real action, they ought to take a drive down to Atlanta; go out I-20 West a few blocks, get off on any side street, drive a few blocks, then stop and pretend to have car trouble. They'll get more action than they could ever have imagined was possible!

15. JPhule

JPhule Gabh An Latha

I believe that was Bud Grant.

16. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

ROTFLMAO!!! ;f

"stupid acts with the animal" You're not from Arkansas are ya?;f

17. Dan

Dan

EOD3, I agree 100%. -Dan

18. MyT-FastDog

MyT-FastDog

Everyone reacts differently to a successful hunt. I can't imagine cracking on someone too hard for over or under doing it.

As far as a non-hunter seeing a big display and being turned off, I say oh well. Just as many may see it and be impressed by display. I work in a metro area and talk to non-hunters all the time. Most of them don't disagree with hunting. I get this "I just don't think I could actually do it" meaning that they couldn't pull the trigger or release the bow. My reply is always the same. If you put in the hours practicing, scouting, hunting, and passing up bad shots to get a chance to cleanly take an animal, then you could finish the job.

The kill shot is is the culmination of a wholelotta effort, so I understand just about any emotion afterwards.

19. Big Time

Big Time Senior User

My thoughts are with our Lord,thanking him for supper.