close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting the rabbits with .22lr ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Nestor, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Anyone can share some experience?
    I'm thinking about getting the license and start hunting the rabbits.
    There are tons of those bunnies all over the place and because of this I just can't force myself to pay for the chicken meat anymore :rofl:
    The most popular around is jackrabbit (European Hare in fact - up to 7,5 pounds I think) and Snowshoe Hare - a smaller fellow.
    I'm kind tore between .22 lr (price-wise) and .17 HMR (performance-wise).
    The possible problem here is the wind since I'm on the prairies.
    I'm looking at 100 years max I guess.
    What would You say?
    Thanks.

2. DaveCharlie09

DaveCharlie09

3. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Nestor,

I have hunted rabbits since I was about eight. I would guess I have killed at least 1000 cottontails and jackrabbits. Almost all of those were taken with 22lr rifles or pistols. 22lr is also much cheaper than 17. I have never eaten a jack, but I would guess they would be much tougher and possibly stringy. Cottontail is good, taste like chicken!:supergrin:

4. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm planning to hunt some younger ones, but the ones that You mentioned about are easier target for sure :rofl:

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thanks.
    I have some research to do I guess.
    I like the .22 lr idea better to be perfectly honest.
    Much, much cheaper.

6. marlinfan

marlinfan

12 gauge plus a beagle. :D

7. bcmclane

bcmclane

At 100 yds max I'd go with a .22 for sure. The .17 just doesn't impress me for what it costs.

ETA: I've made plenty of 100yd shots with a .22, but never on a prairie. What wind speeds would you be encountering on a regular basis?

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Be WAWY WAWY quiet---WEW huntin WABBIT:wavey:
    I use a 22 pistol with a red dot-I'm also in desert prairie--WINDY
    If I don't dress like a pimp I can usually get within 100 feet

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  9. bcmclane

bcmclane

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. TwinFourFives

TwinFourFives

The 17hmr is the elite sniper round of small game hunters, especially in the dead of winter where shots will tend to be farther. A squirrel hunters dream, hit them right in the eye at 100 yards.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I've been using .22lr and .22 Win Mag for 30 years.
    Why change now?

12. Caver 60

Caver 60

Just use rubber gloves when you dress them and look for spots on the liver. If there are spots, either cook them real good or throw them out.

I can't spell the disease, but it's something like Tulerama(Sp). After a hard freeze the chance of that disease goes way down as the sick ones die. Also if they're running they're probably not sick.

But a 22 is all you need for rabbits. A shotgun just shoots up good meat.

Sight the scope sighted 22 rifle in very carefully at 50 yards, and it will be about 1 inch high at 25 yards and 1 inch under at 75 yards.

ETA Just did a quick search on Tulerama and didn't come up with much. Did find this:

http://lists.herald.co.uk/pipermail/lois-bujold/2002-July/021497.html

Also this:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myxo.html

Read about 7/8 of the way down the page. Don't know if it's the same thing or not. Any vets out there?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  13. Brucev

Brucev

Get yourself a hunting license and buy yourself a good quality .22 LR revolver or pistol. You'll have a ball. Personally I use a S&W M-18 which I consider just about ideal for small game hunting. But any decent .22 LR handgun will get the job done. You don't have to be able to hit a dime at 50 yds., but you need to be able to hit the head of a rabbit at say 25 yds. You'll get some shots that will be much closer. On the longer shots, you'll probably want to aim for the heart/lungs. Some of the best times I've ever had were spent rabbit hunting with men from the church. My grand-mother-in-law could really knew how to cook rabbit. It was excellent! If you anticipate a lot of longer range shooting, get yourself a good quality .22 LR rifle. A Ruger 10-22 offers excellent accuracy, a adequate magazine capacity and is light enough to carry all way without fatigue. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

14. Bello

Bello America/Italia

y not go all out and use a 10 milli? :whistling:

15. Just1More

Just1More

Would a pellet gun kill a rabbit? I have some in my yard that need corrected.

16. steve1988

steve1988

I know they do the job on squirrels, but placement is key, as always. Shoot them in the head, and they'll go down easily.

17. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Depends-I'd want at least a 1000fps model in 177-almost any 20 or 22 work great
    My old GAMO 177 did well with heavy pellets like Beeman silver jets-light pellets are just being mean:whistling:
    And my .20 Sheridan was MURDER on them

18. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

My favorite cotton tail (I won't eat jack rabbit) gun is my Marlin 39A. Lots of ammo and super accurate. For plinking I'll use just about any .22 ammo I can find, but for hunting I prefer CCI Stingers. Does a number on the brain bucket!

HR

19. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Oh yea-Rabbit meat makes GREAT taco's-swiss cheese/chopped spinach And cilantro with diced cucumber and habenaros----YUUUUUUUMMMMMMY:whistling:

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

One of my dogs, Patches, use to love chasing rabbits. He never could catch one but he kept trying.

One year I took him in the woods to let him have some fun. I had a short double barrel 12 ga shotgun.
    Patches chased a couple rabbits but they got away. I could see them off to the side watching him.
    Finally he ran one across an opening but wasn't gaining on the rabbit. I shot the rabbit and before it stopped cartwheeling Patches grabbed it. If a dog knows pride, Patches was showing it.

We walked over to a big tree where I was going to leave the rabbit, while we went for some more.
    I took the rabbit from Patches and laid it in the ground, then told Patches, "Let's go".
    The expression on that dog's face was priceless. I could see him saying, "Are you out of your mind? Do you know how long it took me to catch this rabbit?? Hell No I'm not leaving it here". :supergrin:

I think I'd use a 22 rifle but I think a pistol would be more fun.