close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting squirrel w/ pellet guns?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Nicolai, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Nicolai

Nicolai

I love to hunt squirrels, but I can't always make it out to a Wildlife managment agency, so I want to pop a few in my parents backyard which is not exactly rural, but they have plenty of land to shoot pellet guns. I have a Benjamin Sheridan .22 cal pellet rifle, and a Gamo .177 cal rifle that "gaurentee's" 1000 fps, that I want to use. My only concern is that I might be using something underpowered, and thus more cruel than just killing them. Any thoughts on my plan, or tips on hunting squirrels with a pellet gun?

2. noway

noway

I also use a pellet gun known as a 12ga. It downs any squirrel without prejudice.

Seriously, the air pellet might not kill them as good as you want.

I've used a few simple air pellet gun as a kid and it was more of an small rodent killer and animals like skunks and squirrels would just run away from being hit. Do a search here on this forum for other posting on air pellets.

also remember, pound for pound a squirrel is one tough critter and more tougher than a deer. Get enough gun for your hunting and check you state game rules to make sure they are legal before trying.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

I'm no tree hugger, but isn't there a season on squirrels? Is that season now?

4. noway

noway

squirrels are in season during every portion of our FL game season outside of spring turkey. I not suprise if squirrels are in season in GA this early, if the poster is from GA. Most season starts in the later aug and runs out to and thru winter and closed before spring and the new baby squirrels are hatched.

5. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I used a pump-up pellet pistol for several years for squirrel control around the house. They insist on living in the attic.

A couple years ago I got my hands on an old long-barreled Marlin bolt-action rifle. It will handle 22 shorts.

I load it with 22CB caps. It is a lot more deadly than the pellet gun. It actually makes less noise, and there is no pumping.

6. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

I can understand hunting squirrels as a pest problem, but to do it for the sheer fun of it sounds just plain cold to me. ;g

7. Nicolai

Nicolai

Squirrel season in Ga is from Aug 15 to Feb 28, so I'm O.K. as far as that's concerned, and it's private property so I don't have to worry about the special stipulations that vary from one wildlife management area to another, and it's legal to hunt them w/ pellet guns. I just want to make sure I have enough gun for the job.

Squirrels are edible, and you can make stuff out of their pelts.:cool:

8. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

First make sure to get some quality 'dome pellets', like crosman premiers, or beeman FTS.

I would think that both can dispatch them, but my preference would go to the springer, why because less movement, and you can probably re-load faster.

I use a scope on 80% of my airguns, and for squirrel, I would aim for the head, using the eye as a key target, you can also try a behind the shoulder shot, tho the head shot is a better choice.

Other than sighting in, quality pellets, both should have no problem dispatching squirrel.

Also, check out the 'fun supply airgun forum, and/or straight shooters, both offer alot of info on airgun hunting.

Good luck, Hardeyes

9. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I've killed tree rats with fast moving rocks, ball bearings, 400 feet per second BB's, whatever I had at the time I guess. I don't think any pellet gun will have problems with them if you can actually hit them.

Oh and just for the granola munchers among us, I leave lots of them laying where they fall when I shoot them.

:)

10. VicMackey

VicMackey President

I guess so. Can you eat them?

11. Nicolai

Nicolai

Squirrel stew is damn good!

12. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

Funny, I'm starting to hear the Beverly Hillbilly theme song all of the sudden.

J/K ;)

13. NoVAlooker

NoVAlooker What Me Worry

Squirrel is a favorite. If you haven't tried it, you really should. Lots of ways to cook it up too.

Your pellet guns should have no problem taking a tree rat out. I used to hunt them as a kid with a slingshot and old ball bearings that the auto mechanic down the road would give me. If they could take one out, a pellet gun can too. Heck, I used to shoot them with pellet guns as a kid too!

14. muddydog

muddydog

squirrel hunting is what makes a boy/man a hunter.

you show me a man that can consistantly stalk and sit and kill limits of squirrels and i'll show you a good deer hunter.

a high powered pellet gun will kill squirrels..
    your gonna need to be close ( 20-25 ft)..maybe a little more.

i have hunted with .177 and .22 pellet guns and i dont think i have ever let a squirrel get away.

for those who are questioning the reason for hunting them..
    young squirrel is excellent for stewing.
    there are only 2 types of stew allowed at my house..( since i cook..even better) venison and squirrel. i prefer greys over foxes..
    but if i'm out for a small meal..i'll pop a couple of fox squirrels and go home.

it was within the last 30 years that most of America even had a decent deer population. but suqirrels have a very high reproduction and maturity rate. most states have very generous seasons.

if a person hunted for food routinely..he fed his family on quail, squirrel and rabbits.

i'm 34 years old and i couldnt even propose to give a number of squirrels i'd taken before i was in middle school.

my dad had me in the woods...whenever possible letting my skills of woodsmanship and hunting develop while hunting these little critters.

they are the #1 small game for newbies..and kids.

i'll try and dig the pictures of my brother and i with our first squirrels.

we have bigger grins...on our faces...then we had on B/C bucks, elk or ducks and geese.

my boy is fixing to turn 4...and my dad, brother and myself...are gonna have a hoot of a time this fall...with him and his rogue river .22 and a red dot.

med pilot..
    your more than welcome to come up...anytime and i'll take you out..for a hunt..your tone will change..

stewed squirrel..
    biscuits and gravy...
    fried apples..

trust me...hillbillies..we aint..we are from a rural background..but a respectable medical professional.

BTW..
    what do you hunt for????

15. VicMackey

VicMackey President

Alright, you convinced me. Squirrel hunting, I had no idea. ;c

16. JMag

JMag

My .22 airgun drops the tree rats like a brick. The .20 works, too. I have not tried a fast .177.

17. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

I have shot those GALL DERN TREE RATS with a 760 Power Master and watched them fall off the tree. Minutes later when I went to get em...The varmint had sceeedaddeled. .22 rounds with only primers are a good choice. I hope to go with Wprebeck and his 6yr old daughter Fri. If I dont have to work off duty....Its should be a blast!!! I will be using my 20ga Single shot (Stevens)that was my fathers. Nothing and I mean NOTHING like sittin in the woods watching the sun comming up and thinking/knowing, "This is what life is all about!"

18. vafish

vafish

Airguns work fine on squirrles.

But like most things shot placement is the key.

Any reasonably powerful airgun will work as long as you can place your shots well. Head shots are prefered.

Either your Benjamin or your Gamo would work fine. Pick which ever is more accurate.

19. vart

vart

I used to work at a grain elevator with a huge rat problem. I bought a crossman CO2 pistol and loaded it with pointed pellets. At 430 fps, it was only deadly at ranges less than 30' and head shots.
    A body shot would cause the rat to writhe in pain and scramble away. A head shot killed them instantly.
    I also used a bolt-action .22 rifle, but the pistol was handier and quieter.

20. ALLAN

ALLAN

In my earlier years I used a Daisy Poerline 880 shooting two BB's at once. Many a squirrel came falling out of my grandfathers pecan trees. All my friends thought we were wierd for eating squirrrel....lol

When hunting on the lease of the river bottoms the single shot .22 was my choice.