Hunting in the dark? Any night vision experts here?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Rancher, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Rancher

Rancher

I just posted in the optics section regarding generation one, two, and three night vision equipment and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. I also added a little more there about my problem so if you need more details check there.

In short we've got a mountain lion that's taken 2 calves now in the last few weeks and I'm looking into night vision equipment. Don't know if I want a scope or binoculars.

Any input appreciated regarding different brands as well as the optical quality difference between generation one, two, and three. If I go the scope route it will be put on either my AR-15 or my Remington 700 in 30-06.

Right now the only hunting "technique" I've employeed is finding where it's covered it's meal and tried sitting off it waiting for it to come back for a snack but I can't be out 24/7 so it's gonna be a matter of luck getting the thing unless I bring in some friends that hunt with dogs.

Rancher

BTW- Please, no PETA replies as I've already contacted the proper authorities regarding my problem and have been give advise on how to deal with the matter.

2. noway

noway

Good luck. Lions at night are not an easy task. I have a generation2 monocular but they aren't up to specs for let's say hunting maybe rabbit yes but big no. Don't know if you could spotlight a mt lions and keep it stationary for a shot and get in range todo so and the nightvisoon rifle scopes are very expensive to say the least specially for the better ones or later generations ones and with the better IR emitter.

Have you looked at bait w/trapping? Might be cheaper and much easier.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Hey Rancher.

Calling one in is a challenge. Doing it an night without all your peripheral vision is an even tougher row to hoe. They don't trot on in like coyotes. I've had a 2 come to the call, but I never saw them. Only tracks.

I've got a buddy that lives over in Eldon, MO that would probably be keen on coming over and give calling it a whirl. He's an experienced predator caller and knows his coyotes and bobcats. I can pass him your email address if you want.

Trapping would be a much better option and getting some dogs out there to run it would be even better. That's what the ADC folks out here do for them. Good luck.

4. vafish

vafish

I got a little experience with Night vision goggles.

Skip the Gen I and Gen II stuff.

Gen III is much better and the life span of the imaging tube is much longer.

5. Rancher

Rancher

Thanks for the replies.

mpol777, you can feel free to pass my info. onto your friend. We are SW of Houston,MO but will be going out of town this weekend and won't be back till the 24th.

If he is able to call it up and shoot it the only bad thing is the state has advised me they will need it for testing to determine if it truly is a wild cat or one someone set free or got loose. Still the pic's would be pretty cool and would make for one heck of a memory!

Sunday my wife spotted a deer with some serious claw marks on it's hind end. She said it was just barely able to limp away from her.

The only way I'm gonna get the thing is by getting REAL lucky. Been heading out every evening and early morning with the spotlight and rifle. Lot's of yote's but not cat's. My BIL is wanting to come up from southern Arkansas and hunt it with some friends of his that use dogs. That or trapping is gonna be the only way I think we will get it.

Rancher

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Rancher,

PM me your email address and I'll send it along.

7. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

We called one in one night while calling for coyotes and bobcats. It was much stealthier than either of the afore mentioned varmints. It stayed in the same place for quite a while and did not move. I missed seeing it, but my partner who hunts all the time picked it up right a way. We kept hitting it with the light to make sure we weren't seeing things. It finally came out into the open and we got a good look at it. Since it was not bothering any cattle on his ranch, we let him walk. We tried night vision, but it did not work out so well. It lacked the clarity to see beyond 15 or so yards. We went back to the red lense and have used it with great success. I should mention that all this took place in TX where the practice it legal.

Good luck and I hope you get him soon,

Matt

8. Rancher

Rancher

mpol777, can't send a private message for some reason. My e-mail is jamietammy@hotmail.com

We are getting ready to head for Vancouver this weekend and will be back late on the 24th. so if it takes a bit for me to get back to your friend just let him know we are on vacation.

ECVMatt, I'm taking a lot of heat on a cattle board cause they say the things don't exist there. Bunch of idiots!

Rancher

9. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Rancher, I sent your info along. My friend's name is Andy so you know what to watch for.