Hunting in our state..

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by mountainboy04, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mountainboy04

mountainboy04

any one interested in helping start a petition to recommend responsible buckeye hunters should be allowed to hunt with carbines chambered for suitable handgun hunting calibers???

2. KeithS

KeithS CLM

When I was in my single digits of age, I hunted wabbits with a .410, now also a handgun round.

3. desmo

desmo

always thought this would be a good idea. i hunt with a 44 revolver now, and would love to have an excuse to buy a nice levergun.

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I had a conversation with a DNR guy about this a few years ago. I don't think you will ever be able to hunt with a rifle. There are too many people in gov. who are stupid and want to prevent it. If you really want to do it, you might want to go to BuckeyFirearms and see if they think it is useless.

5. G19 DB

G19 DB

Like RWBlue, I talked to our local DNR guy and he said something similar. Though Indiana did it not too long ago. Maybe because it didn't work b4, doesn't mean we shouldn't try again.

6. joedoc

joedoc

I would love to have an excuse to buy
    a 9 mm AR.

7. Ghost361

Ghost361

I would imagine they would still only let you use the current caliber requirements even if they did allow it. So the 9mm probably wouldn't bridge the gap. Right now it says .357 or larger straight wall cartridges. ie 357, 41, 44, 45 colt, 454 cassul, 45-70, etc.

I would love to hunt with a lever 44 mag.

8. joedoc

joedoc

dang, I may never find that excuse to get a 9mm AR.

9. RWBlue

Been there done that in WV.
    I also did the 45-70 in WV.
    :supergrin:

The 44mag is great for being light to carry and easy on recoil.
    The 45-70 put the deer down like nothing I have ever seen.

Probably not the best cartridge for hunting deer.
    I have posted questions about the terminal ballistics of the 9mm JHP at 100 yards. So far no one has come back with a good response.

10. Ghost361

Ghost361

Took my first elk with rugers semi auto 44 carbine. It worked very well. But to be able to hunt in ohio with something similar would be fantastic.

11. R.TOKER

R.TOKER

I live in rural eastern Ohio. I would not leave my house during deer gun season if these idiots had rifles. I have hunted all my life and am an NRA lifer so don't flame. I work in law enforcement and have seen what these "city hunters" call a safe shot. They shoot barns, houses, livestock and sometimes each other. And this is with a 12ga slug or muzzleloader. No thanks, shotguns with modern slug ammo and modern muzzleloaders are sufficient for the terrain and population in Ohio.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  12. WILLSARV

WILLSARV

I remember a similar argument about CCW in Ohio. There will be blood flowing in the streets.

There isn't that much difference in range for a .44 mag coming out of a ten inch revolver barrel then there is with a .44 mag coming out of a sixteen inch carbine barrel.

13. RWBlue

+ 1

14. R.TOKER

R.TOKER

CCW holders are responsible citizens with training in proper useage of firearms. They are a far cry from the person who watches the Outdoor channel twice a week and decides to go to Cabela's and then shows up with his new gun and shiny hunter orange to hunt deer. And if there's no real difference between the .44mag revolver and the carbine you just ended the debate, no need for the carbine!! :supergrin:

15. WILLSARV

WILLSARV

Our freedoms should only be limited when what we are doing is actually hurting someone else or has a great potential to harm others. They should never be limited just because we don't need that freedom.

Do we need 30 round magazines or were the 10 round magazines all we really needed? Do we need a bayonet lug on our AR 15 or do we just like them?

It's those like you in law enforcement that scare me. Always thinking about what we need versus what we want.

16. RWBlue

I think I learned more in my hunter safety training (oh so many years ago), than I learned in my CCW training.

I assume that people would be more safe with a rifle with a pistol cartridge than a pistol. It is basically the velocity, but with better control of where the gun is pointed..

17. R.TOKER

R.TOKER

If it takes a license it's not a right. We're talking about hunting here!! The Div. Of Wildlife makes the rules and regulations for hunting and fishing. By limiting your hunting implements they are not taking away your rights. As far a those of "us" in law enforcement that scare you, I'm not one of "us". I support the 2nd amendment without question and problably have done more for CCW than most of you!! This discussion is about which hunting implements are safe in our state, not about your "rights". They don't allow you to use explosive arrows or poisonous arrows so maybe that is taking away your rights???:faint:

BTW I personally own a Rock River AR-15 and support the private ownership of these "assault weapons" as well as full capacity magazines. So relax!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  18. WILLSARV

WILLSARV

19. R.TOKER

R.TOKER

20. WILLSARV

WILLSARV