GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
finishes it...
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled out v3 for its annual cleaning and figured pron, why not...

·
M62/76
11,948 Posts
I’ll dig my fugly old 870 out in the next day or so myself and post it up.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I used my M2 the other week, pest at the neighbors.

I was looking into setting my CZ 6.5x55 up for a pronghorn hunt just two days ago, but it may not happen. My neighbor mentioned he may go to WY solo this Oct. I thought about joining him, no tags at this late juncture.

That may leave me with the usual, deer & grouse hunting outings.

·
Gunslinger
1,626 Posts
I opened this thread just to see what kind of firearms people in other parts of the country consider to be “hunting guns”. Around here, where dense brush is the norm, a family photo of true hunting guns (a.k.a. the only guns you really need to take any game in the state) would be a pretty boring family photo. You’d have a 12 gauge for birds, a .22LR for squirrel/rabbit/other small ground dwelling game, and a lever action .30-30 for deer sized game.

I enjoy the long range capable bolt action rifles for recreational shooting, but to be honest they are mostly for recreation around here rather than hunting.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Is Benelli making the M2 in bottomland or is the finish aftermarket?
This is the M2 American. Made in Italy but with no Comfort Tech Stock. It came from the factory with the MOBL Coating.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
I opened this thread just to see what kind of firearms people in other parts of the country consider to be “hunting guns”. Around here, where dense brush is the norm, a family photo of true hunting guns (a.k.a. the only guns you really need to take any game in the state) would be a pretty boring family photo. You’d have a 12 gauge for birds, a .22LR for squirrel/rabbit/other small ground dwelling game, and a lever action .30-30 for deer sized game.

I enjoy the long range capable bolt action rifles for recreational shooting, but to be honest they are mostly for recreation around here rather than hunting.
I am a Duck Hunter. I came back to my home State of AR to get out of the city and to Duck Hunt.

·
Gunslinger
1,626 Posts
I am a Duck Hunter. I came back to my home State of AR to get out of the city and to Duck Hunt.
Im in Missouri, and I understand that. I’m not sure why you would have left in the first place, but I can understand coming back. Arkansas is a beautiful state, and I’d say that you have the right firearm for the job you are looking to accomplish.

I have to laugh at all the young fellas who brag about how their fancy bolt gun will take big game at 1,000+ yards. Like, when does that become useful? Hell, I don’t even want to walk 1,000 yards from the truck when I’m hunting... much less drag some ole heavy carcass back that far. Besides... if you are hunting somewhere with a proper amount of trees, there is no way you have a clear shot from that distance. Maybe them boys out west where even grass doesn’t grow. Lol

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Im in Missouri, and I understand that. I’m not sure why you would have left in the first place, but I can understand coming back. Arkansas is a beautiful state, and I’d say that you have the right firearm for the job you are looking to accomplish.

I have to laugh at all the young fellas who brag about how their fancy bolt gun will take big game at 1,000+ yards. Like, when does that become useful? Hell, I don’t even want to walk 1,000 yards from the truck when I’m hunting... much less drag some ole heavy carcass back that far. Besides... if you are hunting somewhere with a proper amount of trees, there is no way you have a clear shot from that distance. Maybe them boys out west where even grass doesn’t grow. Lol
I have hunted Whitetail since age 7. The longest shot I have ever had is 80 yards. I hunt with a Ruger American .270 and a Romanian AKM with open sights in the brush.

·
M62/76
11,948 Posts
I have hunted Whitetail since age 7. The longest shot I have ever had is 80 yards. I hunt with a Ruger American .270 and a Romanian AKM with open sights in the brush.
Im getting back into deer hunting after a 16-year hiatus. Fortunately I still have some of my old standbys to call on...an old Rem Model 8 in .35 Rem for 100 and in and a .270 Wby for anything over that. It’s an early German Mark V (1961 mfg) on its third barrel. My uncle who is a master gunsmith traded for it in Tucson in 1963 and hunted with it out West for 50+ years, now I have it.

The Model 8 is also a family piece, mfg’d in 1914 and has seen Africa (1920s) and lots of the Eastern woods. Had it reblued a year ago and it’s as accurate and letheal as they day it was made. Pretty cool for a 106-yr old rifle. Now if I can only bag a 10+ pointer with it this season...

7FB8B733-D8F6-4441-A880-80800E2CCC09.jpeg

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Is Benelli making the M2 in bottomland or is the finish aftermarket?
This will be considered heresy but I believe the Super X3 is the better shotgun.

The SX3 patterns better. The SX3 has been flawless. The SX3 has a better trigger. The M2 spits the bolt charging handle out on occasion. The forearm wiggles. The M2 is ammo sensitive and doesn’t like the new style Federal Black Cloud. The Benelli M 2 has done the Benelli Click once at the worst time since I didn’t let the bolt slam violently home upon loading it. The patterns with steel shot are horrible and it took forever to get it dialed in.

The Benelli M2 is lighter and handles well for a flooded timber Duck Gun. That is why O still have it. If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased a Super X4.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Mine are just “workin man’s guns. Old Marlins, a few Brownings and Savage-Stevens, and numerous CZs here and there. None would be considered collectors but their sentimental value is priceless to me.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
For game birds and bunnies, I still use my Savage Arms Fox Model B side by side in 16 gauge.... my father bought it used for me in 1967....still tight still clean..

·
woo woo
30,315 Posts
Haven't hunted in 20+ years, but I could do it again once I'm settled out of Seattle metropolis ****show

Marlin Papoose .22 would be my small gamer
CZ 452 .17hrm for more distant small game
20191024_152932.jpg

<200yrd medium large game rifle, win `94 30-30
20190925_150836.jpg

Deer/antelope in Cascades, Interarms mkX .243 win
20190905_145354.jpg

Deer/elk in PNW, K31 7.5×55
20190513_153254.jpg

Deer/elk PNW, `03 Springfield (Fajen stock, Weaver 3x9)
20181119_164233.jpg

Deer/elk/ antelope, Ruger 77, .270 win
20181119_164421.jpg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts