close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Flashlight

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by valleyz, Oct 20, 2002.

1. valleyz

valleyz Problem Child

There is a thread over at Non-Glocking about flashlights.It sounds like the Surefire E2 is the most favorite small light,but it only last about 75 minutes on two lithium batteries.I hunt public land,and usually walk in for about 1/2-3/4 of a mile to where I hunt.By the time I take my portable treestand down and pack it up,and walk out,30 minutes will tick by easily.I have used AA Maglights for quite a while,but to be honest,I would like something a little brighter,without sacrificing too much burn time.

I have thought about the Surefire E1 with the single lithium battery.It only burns 15 lumens,but burn time is about 90 minutes.I could take an extra battery in my pack and then have 180 minutes of light.Does anyone use one of these for hunting??

2. SSC

SSC

I would be curious as to the responses. I am faced with the same problem. I do not use my surefire for hunting. It is used for a bedstand light. The battery will be good for ten years. Don't have to worry about the batteries being dead when I need it.

I have used the mini mag lights for years. They have met my needs. I always keep stronger lights in the truck, including spot-lights. I am packing for my trip to Colorado and I have decided to take Streamlight's double A flashlights. They are waterproof and cheap. The two battery light is 12.00 and the four cell is 20.00. I compared them to my mag light and they are much brighter. They are light and plastic. I take extra batteries anyway (AA) which fit in other items I take. They are cheaper than Litium and last longer. Burn time is 4 hours.

Regards, PG

3. ButchC

ButchC 2 B 1 ASK 1

I carry a Surefire M2. I usually milk about 75 minutes out of the two lithiums, but I always take a half-dozen extras with me in a SF spares carrier since they weigh almost nothing. If you buy the batteries in bulk, you can get them for about a $2 or $3 ea, so it's not terribly expensive considering how much light you get.

Surefire also has some rechargeable models, but I've never used one.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I carry a Maglight with 3 D batteries. Seems like the cheapest, brightest route for me.

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i've used head lamps for hiking and hunting for a while now. this is the one that i have now.

black diamond moonlight

all of my hiking friends have headlamps. having both hands free is awesome and these little things put out good light. we all have different models. i would look to spend between $30-$40. the cheapo $20 ones are just a waste of money. but you don't need to break the bank with a $70 model either.

check out the rei comparison chart link in the product info. all sorts of useful info.

6. Guest

I like the Streamlight Scorpion. Never tested to see how long the batteries last. It is a bright little sucker, though !!!

Steve

7. valleyz

valleyz Problem Child

8. MI10mm

MI10mm

Streamlight Clipmate with Green Night Vision LEDs has 80 hour battery life with 3 AA batteries. It makes an excellent light for walking to/from a stand. MI10mm

9. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I have a Princton tec small flashlight that is amazing.Lasts about 3 or 4 hours,better than a maglight,uses 2 aa bateries,and can spotlight my neighbors house across the street.Totally waterproof--check it out--its not expensive either.It is about 2 and a half inches long-very comfortable to carry.

10. rsglock

rsglock

i use a rayovac headlamp from wal-mart. it has three settings: single led, double red lens led, and regular lamp. cost $12. has worked for me

11. BJSM16

BJSM16

You should look into the LED flashlights. I have one with a 4 LED head and the manual says it has a burn time of just over 14 days continuous. It runs off of 2 AA batteries, is about the same size as the Mini Mag Light, and is a lot brighter. I payed $25 for it. Federal Arms sells them. Brandon.

12. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

I agree with yah. I carry a mag lite too (3D's). I like how it doubles as a stout club.;)

13. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

I went with a Brinkman LED. This lil sucker is plenty bright and will run for something like 100 hours on two AA's. The Led is good for like 15000 hours so bulb replacement is a thing of the past. You can pick them up at Wally world for around $20.;Q ;Q ;Q

14. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

My hunting standby was a minimag, but I recently picked up a Princeton Tec Attitude at Campmor(4 LEDs, 4aaa batteries, waterproof, long runtime, $18.99). I'm pretty impressed so far. My SureFire 6P throws a much brighter beam, but has limited runtime and is heavier. For walking in the woods, the Attitude might be just the ticket. I just haven't had much of a chance to take it for a walk in the woods. Check out this forum for more info on lights in general: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/
    Jim

15. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

If your not looking for an extremely bright spotlight, the led lights seem to be the best overall to me. I have the streamlights,but I also have a couple led light I bought this year and will be taking one of them hunting with me this year. I have one c cell and one d cell and they will run a month continuous and are pretty bright.

Safe shooting

16. thunderjet

thunderjet

17. PaP

PaP

I love the Surefire's but when hunting their lifespan is a definte drawback. The Mag lights in any size are generally what gets me in and out time after time.

18. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

I have this exact same light! VERY nice for night time hiking!

Not too expensive, and I had it for a year before I needed to change batteries.

I combo it with a Surefire e2e for when I need a bright light. IT's a light weight package with plenty of burn time for either light when you need them.

CranialCrusader

19. MuRDoC

MuRDoC

I use a brinkman led, it has a really long life and I won't blow the bulb out, I use it when I go hunting because it has a red filter you can attache to it so the game won't see you coming, it comes with three filters and a belt attachment

20. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

I like my Petzel headlamp from my hiking days and the Black Diamond unit that was pointed out is a bit better. I'll be taking this and a AA size mag light along with a extra set of batteries that will fit both. Hands free is the only way to go. I have cleaned a ton of fish with the lamp on my head, it beats the hell out of sucking on a mag light.

Regards,
    Glen