close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dadburn, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Dadburn

Dadburn Millennium Member

I would like a little experience on hunting coyotes.I have a guy I do work for,who is also a family friend,Who has spotted some coyotes on his land and asked me to dispose of them.I have never seen a coyote here but I've talked to people who said they have seen them.I know where their den is.What's the best way to get these suckers.I know predator calls are available.The den is in the woods about 75 ft over the pasture fence,So I have a good wide open hillside to shoot from if I can get them in the field.My other option is to work around to the backside of the den and shoot them coming and going.Any info from you guys out west who deal with these varmints regularly would be appreciated.I have an AR but it has a red dot not a scope so I'll probably use my 270 which I know is more gun than I need.Thanks in advance.

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Hey neighbor. I just started hunting the yote's up above you last year. It's a real blast. Here's a link that should help you alot, I know it has helped me....

Hunting Coyotes

Bill has a real informative webpage that breaks down everything you need to know to get started. Right now I'm using a Lohman Circe medium range cottontail distress call. This call has worked really well for me. Word of warning though. I asked advice from some fellow board members on another board last year. They left one thing out. BLACK BEARS WILL COME IN TO YOUR CALLING ALSO!!!!!!!!! ;f They used the excuse of being from out west where there are no black bears... BUT I don't know wheter to believe them or not ;)

P.S.. I was using a 12 guage with 000 at the time... I hunkered down real quite like and let the big bruiser go by.... shwwwwwww

3. Dadburn

Dadburn Millennium Member

Thanks for the link,very informative.We don't have many,if any,Black Bears here in the central part of N.C.

4. Spentshell

Spentshell

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Your AR-15 set-up would be great for 100 yards on down coyote shooting! I'd love to use that set-up! Most of the dogs taken out by me are shot with 22LRs or shotguns loaded with #4's! It don't take too much to bring them down, they are a "soft skinned" animal. A semi-auto .223 would be great, especially if you have mutable dogs come in on you or need some fast follow up shooting. Red-dots are nice for that anyways.

I do know that human scent is factor when calling in dogs.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

for some good info check out

www.coyotegods.com.

they also have a forum. not too busy there, but good to read through all of the posts.

7. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Here in WA state, the AR15 is the preferred coyot gun!

8. m65swede

m65swede

If you wish to save the pelts, the AR15 is the way to go. But if you wish to be able to take a coyote at any reasonable range with a single shot, the .270 is vastly superior. The .270 will however, leave a hole in the pelt that requires much sewing to repair.

We use a variety of rifles and calibers for coyote control. .223's will certainly kill them; but you will still get some that simply run off even when well hit. The larger calibers pretty much eliminate these run-offs. When a coyote gets smacked by a well placed 6mm or larger bullet, its over.

From the way you describe your situation, I'm gonna guess that you won't be interested in keeping coyote pelts. Given that, I would choose the .270 as the best option. If you reload, use the lighter SP or HP bullets (90-110 grain), the excellent 90 grain Speer TNT, or the polymer-tipped 110 grain Hornady V-Max. These last 2 choices are deadly accurate and absolutely explosive in several .270's we've sampled.

If you are restricted to using factory ammo, the 130 grain offerings will work. Use the one that is most accurate in your rifle.

As previously stated, Predator Masters is the place to go for detailed hunting methods and info. Good hunting! :)

Swede

9. MI10mm

MI10mm

It doesn't take too much to bring a coyote down? That's the best joke that I've heard in a looong time! LOL! Maybe they're just bigger and tougher UP here. ;)

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Thanks for those links, guys. I'm going coyote hunting this weekend for the first time myself, and I'm sure the info there will help us.

I've shot coyotes before, but they were always a "target of opportunity", while I was out hunting for something else. I've never before gone out with the coyote being the specific target. This past deer season, my hunting partners and I, saw numerous coyotes. Coyote season here is open year-round... with the exception of being closed during any gun deer season (in my area of the state). The reason for this closure is to protect the growing wolf population we have here, up north.

Normally at this time of year, we're riding our snowmobiles over several feet of snow... and getting back in the woods, off a trail or road, would require snowshoes. But a total lack of snow, has opened up lots of territory for us to hunt, that we normally could not access... so we're giving it a try in earnest. It's something to do... now that deer season is closed. We're not into ice-fishing.

We have bought some cassette calling tapes, and have rigged up a caller, using a PA speaker and a Sony Walkman. (We borrowed a "boom-box" from one of our kids, as a backup.) I don't know which rifles my partners are going to use, but I'm using my Armalite HBAR flat-top, which has a 4-16x scope for use on the flat-top sight rail. I'm bringing along my carry-handle too, which has an A-2 sight, and a red-dot mounted on it... just in case our calling works better than we expect, and we start getting any close-in shots. My ammo will be Black Hills 52gr soft points.

Snowshoe hares are also abundant where we'll be hunting. They are wearing their white, winter coats now... and with no snow, it's not too hard to spot them. :) But I'd better try for head shots with a .223, or maybe I'll pack along my Ruger Super Single-Six, and some .22 magnums. :)

I'll let you know how we did. :)

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I'm the guy that wrote what you thought was so funny... apparently you hadn't noticed that I am also from "up here", no?

I only wrote what I've personally seen, your mileage may vary... maybe that or we're just better at it then you? ;)

12. podwich

podwich

Michigun-While I make no claims as to the ease of taking coyote (never done it), I think that MI10mm was making a bit more specific of a claim than perhaps you perceived. I see that you're from MI, but from your avatar pic it appears you are from the lower peninsula. I assume from MI10mm's post he's from the upper peninsula (UP), hence the "UP here" reference...not that I think the location makes any large difference on the difficulty in taking the coyote. :)

13. MI10mm

MI10mm

I must have hit a nerve, LOL! Yes, someone from BELOW the bridge, that'd explain everything. ;Q

14. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

podwich, I was hoping he hadn't missed all the signs from my "user name", avatar & location listings... but then again you never really know. Especially seeing how most of the UP's votes went to ol' Jenny G., I wouldn't put a thing past them...... ;)

15. ShutterBug

ShutterBug

Does a 22LR cartridge exist with enough punch to take out a coyote? I know that there are plenty of legal issues to deal with in the area that I live in, but my neighbors and I are tired of having our pets mauled and killed by coyotes looking for a snack. :(

-S

16. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

A 22 will do it, but like anything else its the placement of the shot. I've killed a few with a 22, but a lot of others ran away after taking the shot. They may have died later, but its not the same. I prefer close in head shots for 22's. A shotgun with buckshot would be preferred.

Coyotes are as intelligent of an animal as there is out there. Scent, wind direction, camo, routes in, calling - all play a factor. Be prepared to hunt like you would whitetails as far as scent, etc. are concerned. Check out the above websites. They have lots of good info. One thing you'll learn is that most of the posters hunt the wide open spaces. Woods hunting is a lot harder and you have to be more particular - not as much info available on the net.

Good luck.

17. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

I would look for a good, used Savage M99 chambered in .22 High Power for Coyote.

18. MI10mm

MI10mm

That's explain why Granholm carried Wayne and Oakland counties, and more, in the LOWER peninsula. It seems that LIBERAL = LOWER peninsula. If you can't count, which is a distinct possiblility, there's more than enough votes in one of these counties to offset any votes cast in the UP. ;Q Yes, they do really live under bridges too. ;)

19. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Nothing changes the fact that the UP went to Granholm... I know my county didn't.......

20. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I'm pretty sure that you aren't really interested in the Michigan political scene, Dadburn. Nobody outside of Michigan is.

I think you will find most of the info previously posted here quite useful, especially the links. For what it's worth: Hunting coyotes out here on the plains, most of us are primarily concerned with getting rid of the threat to our calves first, and the condition of the pelts second.
    Remington/Wincester .270 are the prevailing choice, with a few 25-06 users thrown in. Using your 270 should be just fine.
    We don't have any bears in Nebraska, but we have the increasing threat of cougars/mountain lions not to mention a few bobcats that are VERY interested in distress calls. The 270 is a bit more comforting to have in case one of the cats decides to join you.

I won't go into the tactics or strategies because you're going to be hunting on a completely different terrain than my experiences on the sandhills.

Good Luck!