Glock Talk banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
A lot of y’all don’t read the OP .
Very common. Also very common that folks don't like the constraints the OP came with, so shed them and answer the general topic sans what they see as arbitrary constraints.

Also very common to read, and not comprehend. A lot of American's really need to hit the local Community College and sign up for the ESL (English as a 2nd Language) classes because what they are using is not English at all.

Reactions: rangerjd

· Registered
107 Posts
.223 or .22-250
30-30
.308 or .30-06
“No mo’ magnum rifles!” the shoulder surgeon said.
OT because not rifles but I like slug slingers in 12ga.
20ga would work well enough, probably.

· Registered
516 Posts
I live in the Pacific Northwest and up here we have a lot of choices of animals to hunt. Almost everything you can hunt in North America we have here in Washington state, especially when it comes to big game. On my property alone we have blacktail deer, black bear, the occasional cougar, and coyotes, not to mention the raccoons and opossums that try to break into my chicken coup.

My calibers of choice for North American, and especially for where I live are:

*22 win mag-although 22 lr would work and is cheaper, I've just come to love my 22 win mag

*.223/5.56-for coyotes I usually grab my Mini-14 loaded with .223, although 22 win mag will take a coyote

*.308, because the Army taught me to love the 7.62x51/.308 and out to 300 yards it will take all three deer species we have in Washington state, mule, whitetail and blacktail as well as black bear.

*.300 win mag- because it will take anything else. Whenever I go elk or moose hunting I take the 300 win mag.

**Honorable mention-.357 magnum in both revolver and lever action.

**I've never owned a .338 win mag but I've heard some really good things about it, so I may be willing to trade my 300 win mag for a .338 win mag, if I had one. Lol

· Registered
Have several, want more.. Glock 19 gen 5, 43X, 43X MOS, [email protected] EZ 9mm, P80 compact and others.
174 Posts
No shotgun, I don't hunt birds.
Glock 9mm for bad guys wanting to harm my wife or myself. Pray it never needs to come to that, flee first, if no other option then fight!
22 LR Ruger 10/22 Ranch Rifle with 2x7 scope for critters.
Trusted Ruger #1 30/06 with hand-loads for coyote (125 grain), deer (150 grain SBT) and elk (180 grain SBT), one elk at approximately 450 yards!

· Registered
609 Posts
I've hunted enough elk and talked to enough guides that I would not use anything less than a 30 RUM and the .338RUM is even better (although my elk gun is a .338 WM. They didn't have the RUM's when I bought it years ago). 300 WM will take elk, then again so will a .22 if you hit them just right. I want something big and bad enough that if wapiti doesn't offer me that perfect shot I can still punch his lights out from about any angle! I would go so far as to say I don't think anyone should use anything smaller than the 300WM! Call me opinionated and I'll just agree with you. Wanna hear a good one? I also don't think anyone should be able to hunt elk with a 7mm Mag! Every guide I talked to said they had seen more elk wounded and lost with the 7 Mag than any other caliber! Yeah, I know, lots of elk have fallen to 30-06 and even 270 Win (including me, however, I was not hunting elk, I just backed up another hunter who had wounded an elk) but I don't think they are enough gun for elk! Elk are tenacious and can be pretty hard to kill. Unless you're the ethical type who passes on all but the perfect shot, no matter what, thien use enough gun to cover for any less than perfect shots... or screwups! I've seen enough of those to last a lifetime, thanks anyway!
Cheers,
crkckr (the cranky)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts