Glock Talk banner

Hunting Calibers

1733 Views 51 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  LApm9
I am sitting on my back porch looking at the backfield this evening as the sun goes down . The air has that fall chill in the air , getting close to hunting season , well dove season is in now . It got me to thinking how many calibers rifles would I like to hunt anything that doesn’t fly in North American . Here’s my list . Let’s hear yours and it doesn’t have to be 4 calibers .

Small Game - .22 long rifle
Varmint / Predator - .223
Deer size - 6.5 cm
Large Game , up to moose and brown bear - .300 Win Mag
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

24,310 Posts
I am sitting on my back porch looking at the backfield this evening as the sun goes down . The air has that fall chill in the air , getting close to hunting season , well dove season is in now . It got me to thinking how many calibers rifles would I like to hunt anything that doesn’t fly in North American . Here’s my list . Let’s hear yours and it doesn’t have to be 4 calibers .

Deer size - 6.5 cm
Agree with 3 out of four but for large game I much prefer 338 win mag to 300 win mag. Recoil is hardly any different but the projectiles have greater mass (225 grains in the 338, 200 grains in the 300) but with similar trajectories. I also like the 7mm mag for big game with 160 grain bullets.

· Registered
16,922 Posts
1. Small game .22lr (i dont eat squirrel or rabbit anymore but if i had to to make ends meet id use a simple .22lr)
2. Varmint/Predator's/Hogs: .22 WMR(woodchucks/groundhogs), .223 Coyotes and up also will use .350 legend on anything over woodchuck size or feral pigs
3. Deer .350 Legend something between 165-180 grain
4. Birds(Duck/Goose/Grouse/Pheasant/etc) 12 Ga pump,O/U or Semi Auto with 2 3/4 shells #BB-3 for ducks 6-8 for everything else.

I dont hunt anything larger so dont have anything larger than the .350 Legend . If i decided to hunt bear(which i get the tag for in PA and NY but never come across one or actively hunt for one) id feel fine with the .350 legend for PA/NY Black bear if i wanted to do so..

· Banned
27,646 Posts

Deer size - 6.5 cm
6.5cm
:oops:

· Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Anyone hunt with a 10 gauge? If so, hunt geese I suppose?? Heard of videos of people using 00 buck in 3 1/2 10 gauges to try to wipe out ferral pigs at a bait trap.
I have a buddy with a 10g. I've shot it a few times. Not sure it really is much more than 12, and a lot not expensive.

I have half a 5 gallon bucket of 10g and can't even give it away.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
22LR small game
12 gauge for turkey
10mm, 44 mag in handguns for deer and elk, though an elk has yet to fall to either.
308 for deer and elk
300 win mag for elk
I have still have my first deer rifle, a 1980's JM Marlin 336cs 30-30 but the barrel rusted in my parents' basement while I was in college. Someday it will be back in the woods.
I really like walking the woods for deer with a Marlin 1895 Guide gun, but the 45-70 isn't kind to saving meat.

· Registered
13,902 Posts
oof, I feel old.

There Can Be Only One!

.30-.30 Winchester. Deer, black bear - and anything below those two.

If need bigger, probably 30-06.

12 or 20 gauge for whatever else.

Having said all that, my next rifle may well be in .270 Winchester.

Reactions: rangerjd

· M62/76
14,804 Posts
While I use a .35 Rem and .270 Wby when I’m hunting stateside (as mentioned in an earlier post)- when I hunted Africa earlier this year I had some great one-shot stops with the old .308 Win Remington Core-Lokt 180-grainers on large plains game.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts