close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Bobcat in NC

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sly_C, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Sly_C

Sly_C Ich liebe Glock

Hey guys,

I'd just like to get some advice/info on bobcat hunting in NC. Where to go, what to use, that kind of thing. I've been on deer hunts several times before, but just recently got interested in bagging myself a bobcat. The deer hunts I've been on have all been tree stand/pop-up blind hunts, is bobcat hunting the same way? On those I used either of my two old military surplus rifles, and old mosin-nagnat in 7.62x54r or german k98 in 8mm, or borrowed an old lever action 30/30. Would these be overkill for a bobcat or are they good to go? I've got an AR, could I use that if the others are too big? I know in NC that the capacity has to be something like 5 or 10 on semi-autos, right? Mainly I'd just like to know where to go in NC to find a lot of them. If anyone lives near the triad and loves to hunt bobcat and wouldn't be bothered by a new hunter tagging a long, that would be great. Thanx in advance guys.

Sly

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. major

major Rejected member

Why didn't you just shoot that one after you made a photo of it?

3. Sly_C

Sly_C Ich liebe Glock

LOL i got that photo off the internet.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

8mm... Yeah... that's whole hell of a lot of overkill.

If the AR is .223 and that's all you have, you may get lucky. I'd cry if I scuffed a bobcat pelt. But if you can handload it, use the right bullet and slow it down you could get away with just a bit of sewing. Bobcats are very thin.

Hunting is nothing like deer. You'll need a call of some kind, hand call or electronic, and need to pick a catty area. Out here it's rocky terrain, with thick cover and some kind of water in the vicinity are good areas. That's not a rule and I've called them across the hardpan, but a good place to start. Some guys say that bobcats take longer to come in and a guy out for cats should hold on a stand for 30-45 min. I've taken a heck of a lot in the 15-20 min timeframe and I don't sit on a stand 45 min unless I'm curious about something. If nothing comes in, move to the next stand. Depending on terrain that's anywhere between 500 yards and 2 miles apart.

One thing about bobcats is once you find one, you can kill it. Meaning that they won't range too much. If you call one in and don't get a shot, just keep calling that stand every couple days and eventually you'll get it.

5. Sly_C

Sly_C Ich liebe Glock

Thanx for the info, what should I use to take them down? .17HMR? .22 Mag? Would a .22LR do it?

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My personal preferences are .17 rem (or similar .17 centerfire like .17 Mach IV or .17 Ackley Bee) or .22 hornet for predator calling. The .17 centerfires are pretty interesting to see in action. When you can kill something like a bobcat stone dead and not get one drop of blood on the fur, that's something.

With the right bullet, the .204 ruger has been proving out OK on coyotes. I don't know of anyone who's shot a bobcat with one yet.

Of what you listed I'd take the .22mag.

7. Sly_C

Sly_C Ich liebe Glock

if the .17 rem is good, why would you go with the .22 mag instead of the .17 HMR?

8. Sturmgewehr44

Sturmgewehr44

I've been using my .22mag for over a decade now on bobcats here in CA. I finally tried my new Savage .17HMR on a cat this past season. I had to hit him twice. It seems that beyond 40 yards, that light weight bullet looses much power when hitting a large animal like a bobcat.

Large, in that I mean it's bigger than a goffer. I'd stick with the .22mag using a hollowpoint bullet. I've cleanly killed many coyotes and gray fox with that bullet too. I usually try to call the animal in to within bow range. It's more challenging for me that way.

A .223 is good with a FMJ round in my experience. With say a .40gr HP from Federal, it usually produecs too much pelt damage on the other side of the thin cat.

I would never use anything bigger than .22cal on a fragile cat. Especially because I prise the pelts soooo much.

Coyotes, now that's a different story. If it's coyote hunting in the summer out here, anything goes. The pelts are terrible. In winter, with nice thick coats, I'll use a .22mag HP or a .223 FMJ.

Just my opionion based on years of predator hunting. I was predator hunting with mouth calls before it got so overly popular and commericalized in this country.

9. Sly_C

Sly_C Ich liebe Glock

THanx for the info, I'll go with the 22 mag then, my local gun store has a nice bolt action 5 round either marlin or savage that i can pick up for rather cheap, i can slap a cheaper leaper 3-9x40 scope I've got on it. Think that will do the trick?

10. punkture

punkture

i decapitated a bobcat with my 7mm rem mag last year and took a coyote with my 30/30 this year. the 30/30 didn't do as much damage as i thought it would/should have, but the 7mm performed as expected. hah.