close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Huntin' Wolves?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vaulter, Nov 21, 2002.

1. vaulter

vaulter

Is there anywhere that you can still legally hunt wolves? Canada? Alaska?..Is there anywhere that still has a huntable population?

2. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Probably the Yukon and Northwest Territories, and Alaska.

But I have to ask... why would you want to? I've been a hunter for 30 some years, and I'd never ever consider killing a wolf for sport. You can't eat them... at least I can't. Just about every other game animal (that I can eat), and the pesky and overabundant coyotes that prey on pets around here, are fair game for me. Maybe in self defense, but as far as I know, there's never been a recorded attack on a human by a wolf in North America in the past several hundred years. I admit it, I have a soft spot in my heart for the wolf... long before it became "PC" to love the wolf. I'm no "tree-hugger" by any means. When I was in grade school, I read Jack London's White Fang & Call of the Wild, and I became fascinated with the wolf, the outdoors, and the north woods... even though I lived in Chicago. It's because of those two stories, I began to hunt in the first place. It's because of those stories I hated the city, and live where I live now. A pscychiatrist might say I was trying to emulate the wolf, or become one. Who knows. Where I do now live, there's a healthy and growing population of wolves, and I've been fortunate enough to see one or two while roaming the nearby national forest. There's been numerous cases of bear hunting dogs getting attacked and killed by a wolf pack nearby, in recent years. The wolves looked upon the dogs as "trespassers" on their pack's territory. They are very territorial in regards to other canines, and will even attack another wolf. "Thems the breaks" for the dogs. The hunters became the prey. Life is cruel. But they avoid humans at all costs (they ain't dumb... if I could, I would too).

My outlook on wolves is this. I am a predator. So are the wolves. I don't compete with them. There's more than enough game for us both. I have a type of "professional courtesy" towards them. And a ton of respect. To each their own, I guess. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. You do what you gotta do. :)

3. Rabon

Rabon

We are over run with Wolves they are legal to hunt and trap. Please come and get a few of them, as the only good Wolf is a dead Wolf.:(

4. vart

vart

Vaulter,
    If I remember correctly, you live in Moscow. Go to Husky Sport Shop on the Pullman Rd. next to the Chevy Dealership. There is a Timber wolf full-body mount there. My dad is the one that shot it back in the `70's, ask him where you can still hunt them, he's the older big guy that is usually there, and the owner of the store.

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

A friend from Ontario shot a wolf with his bow this fall. It came to his bear bait. Go figure. He also shot a really big buck with the bow (I posted the picture about a month ago).

I'm not sure if U.S. citizens can get a wolf license for wolf in Ontario or not. But, they do allow hunting so you might check out their web site.

6. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I just checked and hunting wolf appears to be sporting in Canada and British Columbia.

Seems like it's legal in Alaska as well.

But doesn't seem to be too much interest in the lower 48.

And why?

They are majetic animals worthy of praise. So long as they don't start taking your livestock or tracking you to eat, leave them be. They generally hunt the old and young deer and make hunting better for us.

7. vaulter

vaulter

because its not legal in the lower 48...if there was a huntable population down here of course people would hunt them. I would hunt a cougar so I don't see the real difference between that and a wolf...yes they are both predators a lot of people don't like predator hunting...some do ...to each there own.

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i know it's not the same, but i'm sure there's coyotes near ya that would love to give you their pelts.

you should check out the alaska thing if you really want one though. i bet they have great pelts up there. not sure if there's a limit but that would make an awesome blanket if you are allowed enough.

if i'm going to hunt something it needs to satisfy at least of the following two criteria

1) to get something from the animal: meat, pelt or both.

2) to help control the population of an animal that is out of control, like woodchucks.

seems like in alaska it's both.