close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunters and Fisherman I need your Recipes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mrdoright04/05, Jul 23, 2004.

1. mrdoright04/05

mrdoright04/05

Give me your fav recipe for your fav fish or game.:)

2. noway

noway

Coon in a pot

2-3 medium to large coon (to feed 1 -to- 3 person)
    8-10 boiler onions or 2 medium vidalia
    6ea stick chopped celery stick
    2ea carrot stick skinned and cut
    hand full or thyme ( fresh )
    salt
    1 peel and mashed garlic clove
    pinch of cheyenne
    crack-pepper
    1.5 cups of fresh picked black-eyes peas

>Wash coon meat very very good, removing all loose fat, hairs, veins etc....
    cut coon meat from backsrtips and ribcage into nice smaller chunks. ( Avoid the legs and use that later on for another dish)
    [ I] I personally don't care for the legs and just alot more work to debone them and all. ( yes I'm lazy ) The meat behind the ribs to the backbone is the prime choice followed by the ribs.[/I]

> Heat hot skillet on high and add splat of butter with oil, brown all coon meat on all sides.

> in a crock pot add 2-3qt of water salt , pepper, thyme and meat , Cook for about 5hrs stirring about halfway. On the finish of the 5th hrs , add all veggies.

> cook for 1.5-3 hrs or untill peas are tender and done.

This makes a good simple dish with a slight onionly & pepper taste. You can also chop a vidalia onion if you can't find boiler onions and use fresh chuck corn if you don't have black eye peas.

When I was kid, my mom would use what other meats ( as she would call ) that was in the freezer. ( squirrel/hare/coon ) so we kinda had a big pot of just about everything that was sitting around. We also make pot of rice and serve this all on top of rice and eat it with fresh bake bread.

This style of cooking has been very popular in the south and southeast and was flat out called 'Hunter's Stew" (IIRC).

3. noway

noway

smoked salmon

Since you said favorite fish..

1/2-1 of Salmon fillet with skin on
    salt
    dillweed
    butter or olive oil

> Run a slight amount of salt on meat side with a sprinkle of dillweed after coat the meat with the butter or oil.

> lite the smoker using walnut or maple and hickory wood chips. Smoke the fillet skin down for about 35-50mins at a moderate 160-180degs. You might need to coat the grill surface of the smoker to keep the fillet from sticking. Adjust time depending on how thick the cut of fish fillets are.

Very great fish and perfect when done and cook fully.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

bread with half cracker meal and half flour with salt and pepper added to it.

Drop in to hot peanut oil until it floats.

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Quail breast

A hot pan with a dallop of butter. Sprinkle a dash of rosemary on the breasts. Cook about 2 minutes on each side.

2-3 breasts per person is usually considered a serving. Realisticly you could eat about a dozen so good side dishes are in order.

6. noway

noway

dove breast

wrap dove breast in bacon and prosciutto ham__ with a wedge of garlic and slice of onion. Pin it shut to keep it from unwrapping or place on skewer sticks. bake @ 325deg for 30mins on a roast pan. Serve with rice

quail #1

Butterfly jumbo quail out flat, rub quail with, lite olive oil, garlic-salt and fine blackpepper. Roast over open flame till done.

quail#2

Take butterfly jumbo quails, place in freezer bag, pour in Ken'S Italian salad dressing, let bird marinate for upto 2-4hrs, but no longer.

Remove birds and grill over open flame till done.

pheasant stuffed

1lg pheasant ( typical 2-4 lbs )
    sprinkle of salt
    garlic powder
    cumin
    chopped 1lg onions
    peel and chopped garlic clove
    Maple flavor Canadian Bacon
    ground blk pepper

> clean pheasant inside and dry, rub inside and outside of bird with light sesame seed oil , garlic powder, cumin and salt & pepper Adjust seasonings to your likeing

> stuff bacon, onion, garlic inside of the body. Pin rear-end opening with long toothpicks to keep the filling from falling out.

NOTE: You can also cook the bacon and save the drippings and used that instead of the light oil

Roast until the juice run clear but don't over cook. Great for a rotisserie oven You can do the same for grouse just a smaller bird adjust for the difference

ground wild hog with tomatoes and onions

2lb of ground wild pork
    fresh copped cilantro
    1tsp of sage
    garlic-salt
    ground pepper
    1 Can del monte Garlic-onions tomatoes
    1 medium jalapeno

> Heat oil in skillet brown pork while adding the sage, salt and pepper

> after the meat is some what brown'd add onions-tomatoes along with jalapeno. Cook this down to remove most of the liquid and top with fresh cilantro ( very good with fresh tomatoes and onions vrs the can stuff )

HMM...Hmm... Good!