Hunters Account for Just 16% of Gun Owners...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Fox, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

2. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

And their numbers drop every year.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I agree, but the problem is, every time some knucklehead politician opens his mouth about the 2nd amendment, he starts talking about hunting rights.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Sad news for hunters and sad commentary on gun owners in general.

5. The Fed

The Fed

This is bad. They can say only hunters can have guns to reduce the overall gun population.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Why for gun owners in general?

7. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

It's usually Democrats seeking out the Jim Zumbo types to defect from the NRA and support their latest gun control bill.

After that bill passes or dies, the hunters will find themselves being treated like a leper by those same vegan-progressive Democrats.

8. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is the truth. Hunting people dwindle each year because it falls out of flavor and the guys get older and lose interest when they can go to 'Food Lion". :whistling:

Most of the new gun owners are females and people who live in fear for their lives in urban areas.

9. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Lack of land to hunt on is a factor, too. When I was a kid riding around with my dad in the 70's and 80's, he'd point at shopping centers and housing developments and tell me how they were good places to hunt rabbit and quail when he was a teenager. Now I can do the same with my son.

It might not be so bad in the midwest, Texas, etc. ... I don't know. But on the east coast, even in Appalachia, wilderness is getting harder to come by daily, and permission to hunt on it even harder.

10. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

I think you nailed it. We had explosive growth in the late 1980s through the 1990s in Western Washington. Before 1985 the suburbs around Seattle were semi-rural and most of us kids could ride BMX bicycles a few blocks to the deep woods and shoot our .22 rifles. Today's kids don't have that opportunity and it has hurt us on the gun control debate because it changes the culture to favor the liberal bedwetters.

11. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"This is actually good news IMO, there will be alot less of the Jim Zumbo types out there wanting to ban handguns and assault rifles. "

If you're going to insult an entire group of gun owners, why don't you include trap shooters, skeet shooters, bench rest shooters, cowboy action shooters, silly wet shooters, plinkers and people who only shoot indoors at short range under controlled conditions?

Why pick on hunters?

John

12. PAGunner

PAGunner

While some hunters support RKBA unconditionally and some hunters are also "regular" gun owners (Bren), there is a significant segment of "hunters" who don't mind throwing the rest of the firearms community under the bus, attempting to use everyone else as a shield while all of our rights get eroded. They play right into the divide and conquer approach the left uses to disarm ALL gun owners. It's done incrementally and "hunters" are not yet targeted... That is until all other gun owners are disarmed and a kid sneaks a couple of his father's "hunting" rifles to school and shoots the place up, then they'll be easy pickens to disarm those fools who threw everyone else under the bus. United we stand and divided we fall.

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

That number sounds about right. None of the gun owners I know are hunters. Typically they are interested in HD and SD.

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

i have a hunting licence and have gone a few times, as a hobby. Its not a lifestyle. Self defense is though. Thats my primary purpose

15. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Or they take over like they own the place when you allow them to hunt and then aren't respectful of the land owners and just act like you owe it to them to hunt there.

I have gotten to where I think if ya wanna hunt you need to own ya some land and hunt on it.

16. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

The Democrat strategy is to claim they support the 2nd amendment by stating that they are not going after hunting rifles and shotguns. It's a distortion of the 2nd Amendment, but the fact that hunters are a minority of gunowners undemines their stance.

The 16% is also a point I like to bring up with a few hunters that I deal with that have been disdainful of black rifles and handguns.