close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunter Loses Wrestling Match With Deer

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by JohnCT, Nov 12, 2004.

1. JohnCT

JohnCT

Thought some of you might find this interesting....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=7&u=/ap/deer_attack

NORTH VERNON, Ind. - When hunter Jim Mick went into the woods to bag himself a deer, he never expected to come out empty-handed — and badly bruised.

The 69-year-old bowhunter was treated for injuries he said he suffered during a wrestling match with an angry buck. Mick, of North Vernon, said the deer attacked him Monday while he was hunting alone in rural Decatur County in southeastern Indiana.

"He came out of the tall grass and briars," said Mick. "When I realized it, he was on me already."

Mick said the animal, which weighed about 150 pounds, struck him in the chest and knocked him to the ground, goring him in the thigh. "All I had time to do was throw my hands up and grab his antlers," he said.

After about a 10-minute struggle, Mick said he managed to put a tree between himself and the deer, and the animal retreated.

Mick put a makeshift bandage on his leg and returned to his vehicle to call family members for help, he said. His son-in-law took him to a hospital in Greensburg, where he was treated for the gash and other minor injuries and released.

"It was probably a draw, but I think I got the worst of it," Mick said. "I don't think he had any gouge marks on him."

2. water_daddy

water_daddy

I've had rutting bucks run in on me and I was prepared to scrap, but a 10 minute fight, wow!

I had a friend that was positioned as an ambusher during a small deer drive. The lanky kid was in the thick of it, 20 ft visibility. We spooked up a herd of deer which ran full speed directly at my buddy. He went to draw up his 10 gauge when a large doe pile drived him in the chest. His shotgun went off after the impact and blew the heck of a tree above him. My friend took some nice bruises and had the wind knocked out of him, but luckily no one was hurt too bad. Embarrasingly, the score for that day was Deer 1/Hunters 0.

3. vafish

vafish

Another reason I like tree stands.

4. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

Exactly. There is no way I would put out a doe estrus scent if I were hunting from the ground. I know the story didn't actually make the point that he was using scent but I would be willing to bet he was. A horny buck, are any male animal for that matter, is nothing to mess with. The guys lucky to be alive.