close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunter blamed for Cedar blaze

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by buffalo soldier, Oct 27, 2003.

1. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

UNION-TRIBUNE and SIGNONSANDIEGO
    Associated Press

A hunter who set a weekend signal fire is being blamed for the 150,000-acre wildland Cedar blaze that has damaged or destroyed hundreds of structures and caused numerous deaths, the sheriff said today.

"The fire was started by a hunter, one of two people who (were) hunting in that area. He set a fire in order to locate his partner.

"That fire started the initial blaze. He has been in the custody of the Sheriff's Department and (the California) Department of Forestry,'' Sheriff Bill Kolender said at a morning news conference.

;P

2. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

He's a hunter (syn. GUNOWNER) in Commiefornia who started a wildfire. I hate to say it but the guy is screwed.;T

3. sigsrbest

sigsrbest "Clique"member

now we'll have to register all matches/lighters/flint-steel/bowdrills/magnifying glasses....

4. Bruz

Bruz

Wonder if his partner was able to see him? ;Q

5. scubie02

scubie02

people should have to take a course in order to use those, and a chip should be put in so we can tell who owned them...and of course they'd need to be made fireproof to survive the fire...

6. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

This article should be used as evidence to incarcerate the author. He lit a flare because he was LOST. The fire did not cause NUMEROUS deaths, it caused less than 15. He turned himself in. This can hardly be faulted to him.

7. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

Wolfman....first off...any death is too many and four+ deaths can be categorized as numerous. At last tally: Cedar fire responsible for 14 deaths, 2,232 homes destroyed, 56,700 acres burned. Also just heard my playground, the Cleveland National Forest is closed...all 833,988 acreas closed to all public recreation!

I'm not claiming the "hunter" stared the fire (until proven) but also haven't heard anything about flares nor turning himself in. He was rescued next to a fire....kind of fishy. FYI - even if he was lost, you don't shoot flares during santa ana winds in the middle of dry high desert! No backwoods ground fires is goods woodsmanship!

summary:

Saturday, authorities began the search for Martinez after a friend who was hunting with him called for help.

According to sheriff's Deputy Dave Weldon, who piloted the rescue flight, the two men were deer hunting when Martinez wandered off. After 11 hours without food or water, Weldon said, Martinez apparently started a small fire to signal for help.

Weldon spotted smoke and then a fire covering about 50 square yards of scrub brush. He said Martinez was waving from the top of a small rocky mountain, just upwind from the blaze. The mountain was about a mile south of Eagle Peak Road and a few miles east of San Diego Country Estates.

Weldon said Martinez was delirious and couldn't walk, so Weldon and his partner, Deputy Rocky Laws, dragged and carried him back to the aircraft.

While lifting Martinez into the helicopter, Weldon said, Laws asked Martinez if he had started the fire. "He said, 'No . . . I'm sorry. I'm sorry about all of this,'" Weldon said. "He was basically delirious."

"I asked him what he started it with, and he wouldn't comment," Weldon added. "He just remained quiet." "Then he said: 'I thought I was going to die out there. Thanks for saving my life.'"

Sheriff Bill Kolender reported early Monday that federal officials had arrested someone for starting the fire and said the man was in custody. Later in the day, a spokesman for Kolender said the man had been "cited and released" and had not been arrested.

Buffalo

8. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

Wasn't there a fire last season that was started by a game warden or forest ranger?

9. coboconk

coboconk

havn't these guys heard about raidos to keep in touch with eachother. Where was his compass and map or GPS if he didn't know the area. I'm sure it was not done intentionaly if it was him at all, but it makes us all look bad and puts restrictions on hunting lands. It is a sad day for everyone.