Hunt with AR15 16? Good??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by soulless, Mar 23, 2010.

1. soulless

soulless

i have a DPMS 16" barrel 1-9 twist.. So would it be ok to hunt mid-size game such as white tail deer? Yes, i know... I should use the bigger calibers, but since WI allows .22 caliber center fire, I want to try it.

Any ammo recommendation? I looked at the Hornaday 55grain vmax and they might drop a 125-150lb white tail with a neck shot.. Possible?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I know many people who hunt white tail with .223 (but with bolt rifles and heavier bullets). I personally probably would not if I didn't have to.

3. soulless

soulless

just google'd quickly and it seems 2/3 disagreed using .223 AR15 for deer hunting because of suffering... Thinking about it, shooting a deer with an arrow probably cause more suffering. I know because I'm a bow hunter too.

*doing more research...****

4. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

.223 is basically designed to fragment on target, that is pretty cruel.

Just use a different caliber.

5. soulless

soulless

i wonder what if i use 55 FMJ.. damn, if only WI allowed steel core..

okay..i'll just buy me a 6.8 SPC upper and use that instead...

6. rjrivero

rjrivero

A nosler partition 60gr in .223 with good placement will take down a 200lb whitetail in Michigan. ;)

Did a good number on a 170lb hog this January as well.

I'm really thinking hard about loading up some Barnes TSX for next season.

7. soulless

soulless

thanks.. the 60g should work well in my 1-9 twist. Trying to stay away from buying a 6.8spc upper even though i really want it too... :rofl::rofl::supergrin::supergrin:

8. TexasVine

TexasVine

I use a CMMG 6.8 SPC upper for deer hunting. Much better ballistics over the 223.

9. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

That is simply not true. Some loads are designed to fragment (and those were mostly "5.56" military rounds). .224 bullets come in just about as many designs and styles as any other hunting round. Many of the loads will hold together and mushroom in game.

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Sure it would work fine, I know a lot of guys who hunt deer with a .223. You probably need a 5 round magazine though.

11. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Not true.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  12. 357glocker

357glocker

I used the 64gr Win power point out of my AR15 on a Nebraska whitetail with ok results. The shot was in a good spot just a tad high at 90 yards. She bolted at the shot like not even hit and left no blood trail. I followed the way she went and found her in a death bed of sprayed blood. Field dressing showed the internals all jelloed up and the bullet had exited. When I butchered her I could not tell she was not shot with my 7mag with the bloodshot ribs and meat. The only issue I had was lack of blood trail compared to bigger cals when a deer does decide to run. That may have been different if I had been a few inches lower and the chest cavity didn't have to fill up with blood before spilling it out. Personally I will stick to bigger cals in the future, I just wanted to try it like you do.

So I would say it would be ok to use, stick to the bullets that are designed for it. 64gr powerpoint, 60gr Nosler Partition. I would not use a V-Max.
    For those comparing marginal cals to bowhunting is apples to oranges. While the energy of an arrow is nothing compared to a bullet you have to take into account that an arrow kills by vital organ and blood hemoraging. If you have ever followed a blood trail off a double lunged or heart shot whitetail from a broadhead you'll know what I'm talking about. While a bullet does some of the same effect, it is a more violent destruction of tissues that makes the kill. I don't think the animal suffers anymore from a well placed broadhead compared to a well placed bullet. Same can be said for an offshot from either and the suffering an animal goes through.

13. mboylan

mboylan

OK a .223 will take down a deer if you use the correct bullet. FMJ and Varmint rounds will wound the deer and should be illegal. FMJ probably is. V-MAX blow up without penetrating and just cause really severe wounds. Nosler Partition or TSX bullets are good choices. Expect to pay $30+ for a box of 20. Deer hunting with a .223 is for experts only. Use enough gun.

14. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

If I were to hunt deer with my AR-15 in 5.56, I think I would use my 70gr speer handloads.

But given other options, I think I would try my other AR in 300-221 first.

15. TxGun

TxGun

Haven't shot a deer with a .223, but I wouldn't hesitate to. I have shot numerous hogs up to 200 lbs.+, and it kills them just a dead as anything else. Of course, my hog kills are almost all head shots at around 30 yds., at night, over baited 55 gal. barrels, lit with landscape lights mounted on PVC poles. For years, Winchester has made a 64 gr. PP load developed especially for deer-sized game.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Heaviest controlled-expansion bullet your gun shoots well.

I'd second the 64 grain Power Point.

ETA: Be humane. Wait for a good broadside shot.

17. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I hardly ever shoot .223. The majority of my shooting is 5.56.
    The bullet is still designed to do as much damage as possible.

You can find hunting rounds but seriously...:upeyes:
    He wants a new upper. :tongueout:

18. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

I hunt hogs with my AR with 75gr hornady TAP hollowpoints and haven't lost one yet. If it'll kill a big stinky TX hog, It'll damned sure kill a deer. You will however have to be picky about your shot and be ready to pass up a deer that doesn't provide you with one.
    If you live where you can go hunt everyday then go for it but if it's a once a year thing I'd take something bigger.
    I know a guy that hunts elk with a .257 Roberts but he lives in Colorado and can hunt as much and when ever he likes to get a good shot. I on the other hand only get to hunt elk every once in a while so when I go, I take my 7mm RUM loaded with 160gr Nosler partitions incase I have to shoot 4-500yds and have to take a bad shot. Will a .257 Roberts kill an elk? you bet it will but you have to be picky about your shot where as with my howitzer(as he calls it) I don't.

19. tercel89

tercel89

Shoot them correctly through the lungs or heart and they will die . My brother and me hunted with an AK-47 and killed an 8 pt buck . He was shot through the heart and only walked 6 ft .
    The same should happen with the .223 . If you shoot good then no problem . Anything shot decently is a WHOLE BUNCH BETTER AND HUMANE than the way cattle and pigs are killed in a slaughter house . Watch some documenteries on the slaughter houses sometime It will make you feel terrible for the animal . Hunting is way more humane .

20. tercel89

tercel89

If you are very good with your rifle , then just take a head shot . That is way better than a body shot . I love meat and I hunt for meat. I do not hunt for sport nor antlers and trophys . So "ruining the head mount" is no problem for me . My Bushmaster is very accurate and I may do a head shot this year when hunting . That way the deer will drop instantly .