close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Human prey

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by hwyhobo, Jun 22, 2003.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Just finished watching a new series on Discovery (at least I didn't see it before) called "Human prey." In this episode they showed two guys that survived (albeit not quite intact) encounters with a hippo and a charging grizzly. The hippo was extremely impressive, particularly when they showed it charging after a boat.

My question, however, is regarding the second story, the young guy attacked by the bear. After being torn up somewhat, he managed to reach his rifle and despite his injuries he killed the grizzly with one shot. They showed him load his rifle in front of the camera, but there is no guarantee, of course, that it was the same rifle. Even though, has anyone noticed what it was and what caliber it was?

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

If it is the story that I am thinking of he was either carrying a 300 Win Mag or a 338. I dont' remember which.

3. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

man!!I missed another cool show!!

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

OSS and bears don't mix.

They are hardy and demand respect because you need all of the ammo in them if you are ever attacked and need to defend your live.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

duncan wrote:
    OSS?

6. vafish

vafish

OSS = One Shot Stop

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I remember reading a book about African hunting written by a guy who'd been a PH there from about 1910-1940 all over Africa (old Africa where hunting was done by wagon and horses, outspan camps and no phones) and he said hippos killed more people than many of the more "dangerous" type animals usually by being startled and running them over.

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

Hippos are still the most dangerous animals in Africa (terms of humans killed). They come out of the rivers and lakes at night to graze on grasses along the river bottoms. If you startle them they plunge head long toward the river and bulldoze ANYTHING in thier path. The stuff between hippo's toes? Often quiet and slow people that walk at night near the water.
    Male hippos and mothers with young also hate small boats. They often bump them as a sign of aggression.