HP Laser Printer Problem - Solutions ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nolyn, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Nolyn

Nolyn

Printer was working ok until recently, now every time I print from my HP LaserJet 4200 Laser printer it prints a sheet with the following message

Error: Unable to store job at printer
    Reason Printer not configured to collate
    Solution Install an EIO hard disk

The proposed solution does not make any sense to me. Any tech savvy people out there know what this means and how I should fix the problem ?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

I had a similar problem with a very old HP LaserJet printer. I had to add some very expensive memory but it may not cost that much these days.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

"Solution"

4. Nolyn

Nolyn

Thanks, looks like I'll need to find the ram and reseat. Or just buy some new ram (possibly not a bad idea anyway)

5. Nolyn

Nolyn

Turned out that this printer was operating on only the built in ram, no additional to reset. Therefore the error message was in error - a software driver problem.

I uninstalled the driver but could not reinstall because my version of Windows XP Pro did not have the 4200 driver in the list of printers. I went to HP website and downloaded a March 07 version of the driver. Did not work at all.

I allowed Windows updater to download the driver from Microsoft automatically. Failed to install the first time. I restarted and then reinstalled.

So, after several hours of messing around I now have my printer working again. There was a time 10+ yrs ago when you could depend on HP. Now most of their stuff is junk (their software never was first rate).

Just one person's opinion, but others I know have noticed the HP slide.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

I had that problem upgrading to a newer version of Windows. HP did have drivers but I never got them working. HP did have over 20 webpages of help with the exact problem I was having so it's not like they weren't trying. The hardware(printer) was just older than the operating system and other software.