close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how's your winter bass fishing been

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Dec 30, 2005.

1. noway

noway

This is the biggest bast caught so far this last quarter of the year. Bass haven't been bitting as much as I would like. How has everybody else efforts been?

2. BK63

BK63

I don't fish in the winter, I hunt. ;f

3. noway

noway

More winter fishing ;)

Bas haven't been as good as I like, but I've been getting a good bag of bream. This was harvest after just 70mins on the waters. All on 1/16 or lighter jigs with panassain bodies and light tackle on a berkley or falcon rod.

4. KodiakG-22C

KodiakG-22C

Bass season is closed in Michigan right now! It's just as well, Have you ever tried to work a Pop-R in a 6" hole in the ice? lol

Thanks for the picture! I have really been getting the itch to do some Bass Fishing. Cant wait to get the Ranger out of Winter Hibernation. Our season does not open until the last Sat. in May!
    Michigan has some of the best bass fishing in the country and the State really ties our hands on the time we have to do it. In fact the Drop Shot is going to be legal this year for the first time!!
    Thats BIG news for us! :)
    Well have fun!

Tim

5. punkture

punkture

since jaunary 21, i've caught 73 bass, 9 bream, and 14 white perch. the largest bass has been just under 5#. all of the bream and white perch have been caught on beetle spins. most of the bass have been caught on spinner baits, although a few were caught on buzzbaits, brushhogs, and beetle spins.

6. noway

noway

You have a picture of a white perch? Always want to see one of these.

7. punkture

punkture

i'll take some. that's pretty much all we've been catching out on my dad's lake. its hard to want to go out there though when we just found a new fishing hole full of big, hungry, semi-aggressive (for this time of year) bass.

on a similar note, blackened bass is for dinner:
    http://www.everydaycook.com/recipebox/fish/blackenedfish.htm

8. noway

noway

bass and specially black bass is overrated for table food ;) Give me a bream, crappie or our non-native myan cichilds any day of the week over bass ;)

9. punkture

punkture

gotta make due with whats in the freezer. ;) tons of bass and some whiting.

10. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I agree with noway as far as bass not all that great for eating. Give me walleye and yellow perch any day of the week and I am a happy man.

11. noway

noway

Now whiting coated in beatin eggs w/Italian bread crumbs is fish, worthy of eatin ;)

I 'll have to go out and get some frooze from the farmers market.Man I'm actually hungry right now.

12. punkture

punkture

as of today, i'm up to 99 bass (largemouth and florida largemouth), 10 bream, 15 white perch, and 6 catfish. my largest is a 6# largemouth. there is a new state lake that opened last wednesday, Calling Panther. we went out for the opening and caught 34 florida bass around 3#. finally got a picture for you though...here is is a 4 pounder one of my buddies caught today while bass fishing.

13. noway

noway

4lbs, man that's a nice size fish. I guess the crappies up that way get's bigger quicker? 4lbs is a trophy size down here ;)

if you don't mind can you get another photo on your next catch and I would like to see the spots or blotches on the main body for comparison. I will do the same on my next catch also ;)

14. punkture

punkture

4# is rare around here. just over 5# is state record. he caught a 3# a few weeks ago. the largest i caught this year is only 2# or so. i'll take pictures as we get them. we mainly fish for bass, but bass aren't always what are on the other end of the line...i caught a chinquapin on a 6" lizard the other day. it happens.

15. noway

noway

{we mainly fish for bass, but bass aren't always when are on the other end of the line...}

I know what you mean with that statement.This last 5 months, I couldn't catch a bass even if I whent to a fish store ;) When i don't fish for bass or used bait specificaly for dem , I catch dem

16. punkture

punkture

today was a good day. to explain the sardine-sized bass, i kept everything because we're working on thinning out the smaller ones in a relative's pond.

17. noway

noway

That's great things have slowed down here for crappie and bass are finicky on bait presentation. Waters are warming up big time also.

18. punkture

punkture

population control today was successful.

19. noway

noway

Those crappie looks nice ;)

What kinda bream fish is that in the middle column, bottom with the weird dorsal and irregular spots? Look like a bluegill with a bunch of broken irregualr spots and if that ear flap is border red, kinda like a redear ( aka shellcracker ) ? Not sure on a a positive ID from that photo?

btw, still trying to land a bass that weighs more than 2lb and I couldn't pay to get abite of alargemouth basse
    :frown:

20. punkture

punkture

im glad you caught that. i caught it and my buddy and i just looked at it and looked at each other and both had pretty much the same reaction "man, it looks like a bream and a crappie got together." we haven't a clue. i put the meat in a bag labeled "bream" for what its worth. we went to a state park today after work and caught 5 bass. i'm up to 157 since the middle of january. the bass are hitting frogs and buzzbaits decently right now, but i think they are still spawning because several of the fish we've caught have had eggs in them. i hope the bass pick up for you soon. i have two new favorite lures this year...YUM Buzzfrogs and a small Rapala Original with 2 treble hooks on it. The bass have really been tearing them both up lately. Before they started spawning, they wanted a green lizard, but won't take it for anything now.