close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How's the blacktail herd in Cali?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ClonaKilty, Jul 16, 2003.

1. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

All you Cali A-Zone hunters -- how does the herd look this year (wherever in Cali you are)? Since we had some decent rainfall this year I am expecting better-than-normal...anyone know?

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

They are all over in Santa Cruz County, to the point of overpopulation. A couple come right up in our yard and eat the weeds, no I mean landscaping, just about every day. It is hard to find a place to hunt in this Communist-infested county, though. There is no public land open for hunting, and few private property owners will give permission. If you use a bow, there is a better chance.

I suspect that the surrounding areas are good as well.

3. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

You are so right about hunting access. I mostly hunt private land now, and yeah that costs $$ but it's better than not hunting.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the herd. There always seem to be so much gloom & doom about the herd each year in the local outdoors press but with all the rain this year I thought it would have to be good. And I know what you mean about deer infestation -- they are all over the place in the Berkeley/Oakland hills. Even graze & sleep on the golf courses but of course we can't bag them.

My guide told me that last year there was a solid looking herd of fork horns. This year they should make very nice trophies :)