close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How's my shooting?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Quigley, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

This was me off hand at 10 yards with my 19. I know it's not great but is it acceptable? Any tips to tighten things up. POA was at the bullet hole dead center of the group.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

How long did it take to shoot the whole magazine into that group?

3. Winchester

Winchester

That is what I was wondering?

AZ_Wildcat and WeeWilly like this.
  4. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

20 seconds maybe. I was shooting slow but not super fast either.

5. MajorD

MajorD

Tightening it up is all about trigger control. Shooting off reset ( not letting the trigger return all the way forward after each shot only to the reset click ) is the key.

6. Winchester

Winchester

Not terrible, a roughly fist sized group. I have seen worse.

What are your thoughts? How does it compare in your experience to other firearms you've fired?

7. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I bought my first Glock 10 years ago on my 21st bday. It was a G22. Now I own 7 9mm Glocks, and a G20. I've owned 1911s, CZs, and others, and still own quite a few revolvers but I love my Glocks. It doesn't seem to matter how much I shoot that is about all I am ever able to do, and I do shoot a lot. I shoot just out my backdoor so I shoot at least once a week. With my 17s I can shoot a little better and with my 26s I shoot a little bit worse. I out shoot a lot of people at the matches and can out shoot most of my friends but then I watch some of these pros shoot on TV and YouTube and their 25yard groups look like my 10 yard groups so I know I have a long way to go.

orangejeep06 and mortonjl like this.
  8. Winchester

Winchester

lol. My 25 yard groups don't even come close to your 10 yard group off hand. I am happy to stay on an 8in circle.

At ten yards I can keep my 19, 23, and 27 on a 2 in circle focusing on the sight picture. My 26 groups are about like yours.

Quigley likes this.
  9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

There are alot of really good YouTube video instructions on shooting practical pistol competition technique. Everything from sight picture, trigger control, grip and recovery techniques, how to use the sights (after you learn to use the trigger), learning to disconnect your trigger finger and brain, etc.

Invest $100 +\- in a shot timer and practice the drills the Grand Master level shooters provide on their videos. You will be amazed how much better you will get in a short period of time, at least until you hit your first plateau. But by then, you will be better than just about anyone shooting casually, and better than some "serious" competition types.

timmay, G19 fan, dudel and 2 others like this.
  10. gft1047

gft1047

11. redrick

redrick

That's not too bad and it's like everything we do , the more you do it , the better you get .

12. gft1047

gft1047

To improve use the trigger reset. When you fire the first round hold the trigger, do not let it return to full release, slowly let your finger release and you will hear a click. The firearm is ready to fire. If yoi pracice this process, you will be able to fire again and again with the trigger moving only about an eighth of an inch. Your group will tighten up. Practice will be the key. You are doing well, using the trigger reset will make you better.
    You may want to check the position of your finger on the trigger also. Make one adjustment at a time. Don't confuse yourself by doing to much at a time.
    t one time.

TexasRaider113 and G19 fan like this.
  13. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I hate to admit it but I already do that. I shoot competition and can shoot some pretty accurate double taps.

14. Mr. McQ

Mr. McQ

If you are shooting for self-defense, that is a great group. You have created lots of individual wounds that would all be "center of mass," leading to rapid massive blood loss, thereby stopping the threat as quickly as possible. By contrast, all shots in a tight 2" group would just send a lot of bullets through an already open wound, adding nothing to the equation.

15. -JCN-

-JCN-

Because the target is going to stay in exactly the same place for 20 seconds? :D

16. refugeepj

refugeepj

grip, sight picture, trigger PRESS.
    speed comes with practice, practice CORRECTLY.
    work on all fundamentals, always, until it is ingrained.
    like any sport/martial art, you perform like you practice, practice the key.

17. Hyperbolic

Hyperbolic

Good suggestions above on improving. (everyone should always want to improve).

That is a very good group for a non-competitive shooter, though. Quite "combat accurate", I would say.

Quigley likes this.
  18. G19 fan

G19 fan

I heard a saying that goes something like "Don't just practice until you can get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong." That saying fits a lot of situations, not just gun-related situations.

Also, a big thank you to the experienced members who have posted the good advice in the previous posts in this string. Please keep it coming.

Earl Smith, refugeepj and Quigley like this.
  19. -JCN-

-JCN-

That's one of the nice things about shooting as a hobby. I can always find things I'd like to improve on and imagine scenarios I'd like to prepare for!

Earl Smith, timmay and Quigley like this.
  20. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Impossible to tell without knowing your cadence.

If you shot that group in 2 seconds, it's FANTASTIC. If you were slow and deliberate for each shot, call it 3 seconds between shots, then it's not that good. (but iv'e certainly seen worse!)

Are you bullseye shooting? Or seeing how fast you can hit center-mass? Big difference.

Glockwise and Dave514 like this.