Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The floor plate is a very tight fit to the internal metal box magazine. I called LSI and they said that the fit can be a "son of a gun" and suggested a few methods including tapping it with a mallet. I did break the edges of the box magazine and it did help but still is not a straight drop in install.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of relieving the inlet in the floor plate where the box magazine touches. Another thought is to abandon the floor plate and get the replacable box magazine kit and call it a day.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
The floor plate is a very tight fit to the internal metal box magazine. I called LSI and they said that the fit can be a "son of a gun" and suggested a few methods including tapping it with a mallet. I did break the edges of the box magazine and it did help but still is not a straight drop in install.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of relieving the inlet in the floor plate where the box magazine touches. Another thought is to abandon the floor plate and get the replacable box magazine kit and call it a day.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
For years Howa used all bottom metal for their floor plates/ trigger guards. The problem with that is Cast metal parts tend to vary in dimensions after cooling. Add to that using several stock suppliers with varying degrees of tolerances and it was a fitting headache at the factory. Later rifles went to all polymer on the bottom of the rifle not really because it was cheaper but because they could hold the polymer pieces to tighter specs making fitting much easier. Unfortunately, if you’re looking for the best accuracy the poly trigger guards mag wells do not hold even torque over time like steel or aluminum will. Some shooters with the polymer bottoms have had issues with the action screws cracking the polymer guards over time. There’s one company that offers all metal guards for the Howa but they are pricey and still require fitting to your stock.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The floor plate/trigger guard that came with the gun is metal and is a new production gun. I had not heard that the polymer conversion kits were problematic because they couldn't take the torque of the action screws. I'll look harder now that you mention it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
The floor plate/trigger guard that came with the gun is metal and is a new production gun. I had not heard that the polymer conversion kits were problematic because they couldn't take the torque of the action screws. I'll look harder now that you mention it.

Thanks.
All of the 1500 Mini Actions have plastic. There have been enough complaints that Howa says a bottom metal replacement kit is in the works. At least one aftermarket company makes a machined steel kit for the mini but it’s takes aftermarket mags and is quite pricey.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the standard version and am considering putting in the polymer magazine conversion kit. One is to up the capacity and ease reloads and the other would be to allow a little easier reassembly after field stripping. I might leave it with the metal floor plate but lacking any advice not to "fit" the floor plate to the magazine box I'll probably give that a try. A new metal floor plate/trigger guard is $50 so if it doesn't work for some odd reason, it's not an expensive fix.

I'll give Howa a call today to get their thoughts. I get what you're saying about the polymer guards and if one does get deformed or break it's a $50 part so it's not terrible to replace. Most of the metal magazine kits run $250 or so but I did find this one....

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/howa...uracy_international_223_polymer_10_rd_ai_6616

A little more reasonable but I can only find one 223 mag for that system and it seems to be proprietary. I can't find any reviews with a short search so that adds to the uncertainty of the kit.

I took the gun to a 50 yd. indoor range the other day and broke it in. I know, lots of opinions whether it makes a difference or not but Howa recommends it so why not do what they say. Long story short, I like the gun. The floor plate mag. works just fine and I had no feeding issues at all. Even singles droppen in loaded smoothly. I can't say anything about accuracy since I wasn't really there for any testing but it put thirty of the break in rounds in a nice ragged hole at 50 yds. A good sign.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts