Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lean & Mean
15,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm just looking for a second opinion...or third or fourth ;) This is the Swedish M96 Mauser made in 1922 with VERY inconclusive brass disc (that suppose to provide a clear information on the condition of the barrel). I'm wondering if my enthusiasm can be somehow justified :) I have couple of days to make my mind. Please tell and thanks!

·
Semper Fi
1,556 Posts
The bore “looks” ok. I don’t see any frosting or pitting in the pic and the rifling seems to be deep enough.

I like to do these things in person but just by the pic it looks ok.

Is the crown ok?? Looks like there is some discoloration in the blur. Is that all it is?

·
Lean & Mean
15,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You Guys. That's my concern as well, but the current owner lives on the other end of the country. I will ask about the crown. This rifle was never used outside of Sweden according to him. He's the first owner in Canada and never used it. All matching, except the barrel bands.

·
20,680 Posts
Barrel crowns are usually damaged by cleaning from the muzzle instead of the breech but it isn't difficult to recrown a barrel and restore like new accuracy.

Some "Collectors" don't like to do this and are less concerned with accuracy than they are cosmetic experience.

I feel differently. Swedish Mausers are capable of very good accuracy and to me, a gun isn't a gun unless you can shoot it.

I've seen barrels that looked a lot worse than theis one that shot surprisingly well. This one has sharp clearly defined lands and grooves and probably is a good shooter. The overall condition of the rifle looks good too.

·
Liberal Bane
20,358 Posts
Looks good to me, and it will be going to someone who would properly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Nestor

·
Lean & Mean
15,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The question isn't trivial. The trivial question is HOW MUCH $$ to acquire? Sorry to be trivial. :oops:

;);)

The whole package looks pretty darn nice. Kinda why I'm curious as to how much he wants for it.
He wants $485 (Canadian) which is around 10% higher than the average asking price for that model locally. I feel like it's justified basing on the pictures however.

·
I'm not retired
7,846 Posts
He wants $485 (Canadian) which is around 10% higher than the average asking price for that model locally. I feel like it's justified basing on the pictures however.
Well, 10% is only $50. If you happen to pay only 10% more than you need to, you've done better than 99% of us, out here. Hope it works out for you. It's an interesting piece. I don't normally get involved in these 'old rifle' threads, but this one kinda made me raise a brow.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
The disc doesn't indicate bore condition it is to measure erosion and bore diameter. If it is over 6.59 it is

Oops, just looked at mine. There is an indicator state bore condition; either 1, 2, or 3 with 1 being the best. And the last is how high the POI is with spritzer ammo over the old round nose at 100 meters.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
Sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm just looking for a second opinion...or third or fourth ;) This is the Swedish M96 Mauser made in 1922 with VERY inconclusive brass disc (that suppose to provide a clear information on the condition of the barrel). I'm wondering if my enthusiasm can be somehow justified :) I have couple of days to make my mind. Please tell and thanks!

Rifling is still there. Surprising for its age. The one thing I would want to know is when or if the barrel was replaced. Looking from the outside , and they angle you presented, I see no patina.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,238 Posts
Military rifles have always been a favorite of mine. Of course, a shiny bore is worthy of a higher price, but in actual practice, a pitted bore will shoot well, too. My Czech VZ24 has a bore that looks like the inside of a coal mine, yet it shoots perfectly! Rifling is very deep and the corrosion matters not at all. The metal finish is almost gone, and the wood is rough. It still shoots great! I gave $55 for it!

Those rifles are sighted for a 300 meter zero, and I wanted a 100 yard zero. Made an elevated front sight out of key stock and it does a great job.

The bore looks fine on that rifle. Buy it and have fun with it!

Flash

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I've never seen a Swede with a beat-to-hell-bore. Never used in combat, any wear was from range use for the most part. Even ones with "3" arrowed on the disc are still very shootable.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
Good enough

It'll do it's part, I guarantee. (The Swedes took their shooting seriously in days of yore)

Now the shooter, on the other hand... will soon learn to love that Swede. They are a joy to shoot and make old men (like me) look like they can... you know, shoot a little.

It's a $485 rifle worth at least $750.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.