How would you feel if you were this guy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Idontplaynice, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I'd feel like I made the right choice.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I'd buy 1000 lottery tickets, and hit on the hottest 3 chicks in the room at the same time.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Hes already won the lottery.

5. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

This!

And this!

God works in mysterious ways.

6. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Whenever I hear or read stories like these, they remind me of the movie Final Destination.

7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Pretty much all of us have had many such moments in our life. We just never know it because it isnt so binary (got on the plane, didnt get on the plane)

For example, anyone who drives in a major city on a daily basis is always within a few hours of having been in a fatal car crash. That just doesnt connect with us as well as something we can clearly define like getting on the plane or not.

Maybe it is the "math" guy in me that is never far from how I think, but most every time something in my schedule changes, I have the thought "I wonder how (if) this will change the outcome." (I.E. something I will never know until after the event has passed, like leaving 10 minutes latter than usual and getting in a crash...had you left on time, you would not have got in that crash.)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I've thought that before as well.

One time I left for work in the morning and about 5 miles into the drive my truck started over heating. It had never happened before. I pulled over, sat there idling for about 5 minutes, the truck went back down to operating temperature, and I drove off, making it to work without incident. My truck hasn't done that ever since.

It made me think... Why did that happen? Would something have happened had I been down the road five minutes earlier?

Maybe it was nothing. I'll never know.

9. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

I know what you mean. I've had several instances that, had I not done something unusual, I would have been killed. One time that happened, I was driving to work at about 7 AM, only somewhat awake, on the same drive I had done for several years. At one point the two-lane road I was on intersected with a three lane road (middle turn lane) and I was set to turn right. There is a stoplight there, and as I came up to it, it turned green. I glanced to my left and it was clear. For some reason, just before I turned right, I hesitated and looked right. There was a tractor trailer in the left hand turn lane, stopped and then suddenly another tractor trailer flashed into view, passing the stopped truck on the left (that is, in the lane I was fixing to turn in), doing about 20 over the 45 MPH speed limit, and blew through the red light. Had I just turned right I would have been absolutely splattered. :wow:

10. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe CLM

I'd figure there was a reason I'm still here.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

There is no meaning to it. Randominatalizing. Stuff happens. There is no "meaning" behind a guy NOT getting on a flight or doing so. Be thankful and move on. And don't play the lottery - it's a tax on the mathematically challenged.

12. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

Ever see an accident happen with the car right in front of you? It could have been you seconds apart.

13. JMS

JMS 02

Agreed, he's thankful to G-d. In the meantime a whole plane load of people are presumed dead, but G-d was watching out for him. It's luck, plain and simple.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Ask Waylon Jennings

15. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

And on the opposite side of the coin, his cancellation created an empty seat, and the poor guy who earlier may have been told "sorry, the flight is full" ended up getting a seat after all.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  16. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

If that were me I would just be happy to be alive and move on with my life.

17. S*****4

S*****4

Oh No JohnnyE!

That's terrible!

"Good news, sir. We just had a cancellation and a seat has become available for you. I guess it's your lucky day!"

Oh man that's horrible.

18. OregonG20

OregonG20

Mine was as a teenager, I drove my car off a cliff near a river up in the mountains. The tree I landed on had been cut down not all that long before my wreck. If it hadn't been there, the ground would have killed me. If I had landed about 3 feet over, the tree would have killed me. If I hadn't had T-tops on that Trans Am, the roof would have killed me. The whole thing crushed down around me to about shoulder level, and the tree being there had me pitched to the side enough that the ground was on one side and the tree was on the other, and my head and neck were right in between, in a little triangle of safety. Came out of that without a scratch, too.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

19. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Wow! :shocked: :faint: Glad to hear you came out alright.

20. 2@low8

[email protected]

Shooting buddy's cousin missed his train to work because his kindergartner was sick. He took the next train. He was in the basement of the World Trade Center instead of at his desk on the 98th floor of WTC on Sept 11th. 30 minutes difference. Few get to see the hand of providence on them in such a notable way.