close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How would you cut the budget?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Apr 21, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

How would you cut the US gov. budget?

It is easy to say we are spending too much money, but what do you cut and how do you cut from good agencies without killing the overall goals?

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Eliminate entitlements that are not funded in some manner by the intended recipients. HH

3. NickC50310

NickC50310

First off up the ss and medicare age to 70.

Next bring our troops home from afghanistan and iraq. Tell all third world cess pools if they let terriorists attack us we will bomb them back to the stone age. No more nation building.

Next repeal obummer care.

Next reform welfare and food assistance. Crack down on fraud. No more buying junk food and lobster with our money. Require EVERY able bodied person on gov assistance to provide at least 20 hours of service to the gov.

Stop all foreign aid.

Greatly reduce foreign military bases but still maintain the ability to strike quickly.

Stop all bs pork spending projects.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Pork will never be eliminated as long as we have a house and senate. HH

5. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Get rid of the IRS, Department of Education, EPA, and cut about 75% of the funding to the UN. Shut down many of the bases we have abroad that simply make no sense to have open. Cut many of the entitlement welfare programs. That should be a good start!

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Here we go again....these numbers are from memory so pardon me if I'm a hundred billion off.

Entitlements account for $1.7T of the $2.2T in revenue the federal government takes in. That leaves about $500B to fund everything else.

Of that $1.7T, Medicare and Social Security consume approximately $1.2-$1.5T, depending on the math/source.

DOD is roughly $700B/yr.

So, Medicare, Social Security and DOD and you're already running a deficit.

You cannot make meaningful cuts in the budget without cutting these three items: Medicare, Social Security, DOD

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I think it would be relatively simple to cut the budget in half by eliminating useless federal agencies and programs. The problem will be what to do with all the unemployed former government workers. That's the main reason why it will have to be done over time while we reconstruct a productive economy.

8. Scott3670

Scott3670

Cut all the benefits to those who can otherwise work. For those who continue to receive benefits, tax them just like rest of us. If they're healthy and don't want to work then they get no benefits. And the idea that they shouldn't be subjected to drug-testing? Sorry, here's a cup - take a leak now please. And the idea that they get a free cell phone, tv, car, colege education - really? No damn way. They must pay for it liek the rest of us.

Stop all support for illegal immigrants, period. The last time I checked they are breaking the law and yet we subsidize their existence.

Pass laws that stop - forever - any earmarks or other pork-barrel spending. Do we really need another bridge to nowhere?

And enforce a policy Government-wide that employees will be paid for performance. The idea that a Government employee is bullet-proof after only three years on the job is just stupid. If they can't cut it, cut them. Sucks to be them but why should we pay for substandard work? And for what it's worth I've been a Government employee for nearly 23 years and the rampant tolerance for under-performing employees is astonishing.

9. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

All entitlement recipients (welfare, unemployment, food stamps, section 8, MEDICAID, MEDICARE ect...) receive two drug tests (hair) in 60 days, second failure means NO BENEFITS!

That should fix $2Trillion or so the first year.

10. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

It is kind of hard to cut those areas without affecting the outcome.
    The military is currently earning their living and the technology we have is beyond the other countries so we can do this without losing too many of our guys.

People paid into Medicare and SS. Making cuts in these area will not go well. There will be a lot of grandmothers eating cat food on the news.

BTW, When I posted I was thinking about how you cut inside the programs without cutting the programs. Parts of the Gov. seem to be bloated at management levels. Or people that are there doing nothing. How do we cut these areas?

11. dango

dango

Fire the government.

12. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Get rid of the Energy department. They really have done nothing of substance since inception...

13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Who will take over seeing that poisonous **** doesn't get dumped in our waterways, groundwaters, etc. Monsanto? BP? W.R. Grace? Exxon-Mobil? The Quicky-Lube down the corner? HH

14. arclight610

arclight610

EPA is good, otherwise companies can just dump their toxic waste into rivers ect. I think they should just be neutered down to their core purpose of why they were created.

15. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

When was the last year we had a budget pass?
    Seriously....2008?

16. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I believe that SS and Medicare are self reducing. The boomers are retiring, and thus expiring. It'll take years, but the number of people receiving benefits should already be going down……BUT, with the cost of medical care growing at the rate that it is, Medicare won't slow down until Obama Care is killed. If it survives as is, we're screwed.

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Agreed. I've seen enough of the world where environmental protection doesn't even appear in the local dictionaries to know it's one of the most necessary Agencies we have, faults in all. I've taken ferries across and boats down the Niger, Congo, White Nile, Ganges, Mekong and Yellow, etc. and it's shocking what bureaucratic indifference has done to these former wonders. The saddest of all still has to be Bramaphutra, where animal carcasses seem to hover over the floating sludge and debris. HH

18. certifiedfunds

Well, then you get what we have here.

In other words, cut whatever you want, it won't matter. Those things you cut, while perhaps wasteful and unnecessary, won't alter the course.

And they didn't "pay into" anything. Again, they were taxed and the money, whatever the reason, is gone. In order to pay those benefits the government must take that money from someone else.

The point of providing the numbers to you is that what you are pondering doesn't matter.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  19. certifiedfunds

Actually, the CBO projects an exponential increase ahead.

20. certifiedfunds

States and courts?