close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How would you counter this argument?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Feb 16, 2006.

1. VWglocker

VWglocker

i would stop reading after about a quarter of the way through and go find something worthwhile to read

2. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Ummm, how about stupidity? Give the people healthy choices instead of junk food!!!!! This is why we are a nation of fat fat fatties! Junk food is easily available all around us. If healthy choices were available in their serving portion size we would be a lot better off.

3. DBradD

DBradD

The point is that easily accessible junk food is better for the business. In my experience, there's some truth to the article's argument. For example, many of the engineers at my old office would stay at work until 6:30-7:00. Without knowing that they could grab some quick food, most would probably leave at 5:00-5:30. Many people while under stress gravitate toward junk food because it's comfort food. These people get less healthy and overweight, but it takes a while to be serious enough to affect productivity.

I still want to effectively argue against having junk food in the office, but keep in mind that the company cares about only one thing - the company. I need some new arguments.

DBD

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Perhaps the bottom line could be affected by lower insurance costs for a company with healthy employees.

5. Rawhide20

Rawhide20

Correlation vs. Causation?

I don't really care what the article says. I'll eat my asparigus and veggies, fruit, lean meats, take my vitamins and drink plenty of water just the same.

He brags about 'improved' productivity, but doesn't mention how fat and unhealthy he is. Go figure...

6. Drjones

Drjones

At my office, we've all switched to healthy treats.

Our snacks consist of fresh fruit, granola bars, soy nuts (DAMN, those things are GOOD!), peanuts, beef jerky, V8 juice and sports beverages, etc.

Yes, we have some chocolate on hand and occasionally get other treats, but the most part of our snacking is fairly healthy.

It all comes down to personal decisions and choices.

If we had nothing but chips, candy, soda, etc. here at the office, I'd snack LESS at the office because I have CHOSEN to not eat that garbage.

If others don't want to make those same choices, well, someone has to keep doctors and undertakers busy.

7. David Z

David Z Carpe Mundus! Millennium Member

The easy availability of food at the office will definitely keep people working longer hours. I completely disagree that it has to be unhealthy food, though. The only reason company-provided snacks tend to be junk is that it is easier and cheaper to procure (e.g. pizza delivery in the middle of the night) and store (e.g. chips and twinkies will stay edible longer than the typical tech start-up stays in business).

8. gunguru1

gunguru1

If that is true then society is going to hell in a handbasket indeed.;g