How would a 9mm glock fair against a coyote or mountain lion for self defense as a tr

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SENEN_NIEVES, Sep 4, 2005.

1. SENEN_NIEVES

SENEN_NIEVES Millennium Member

I amm curiuos to know would a glock 19 with 15 round mag be enough protection against a mountain lion or coyote ?:) :) ;c

2. JKG

JKG

I'm no expert, but 16 rounds of 9mm would seem pretty good to me. Lot of firepower and low-recoil for follow-up shots. I've never shot a mountain lion, but they are thin-skinned and probably not all that different than shooting a human with a jacket on.

Some say that you will never hear a lion before it attacks. I think this may be true, but before I moved to Oregon, I did a lot of research on lion attacks. First, what I learned was that 'most' of the attacks seem to occur in CO and CA. Urban expansion into wild areas and lots of people in the woods, etc.

Second, in 'many' of the attacks, the victims saw the lion well before it attacked. If I remember correctly, many people were successful in fighting off the cat (by hand or knife). Those that couldn't were small men and women.

I've only seen one lion. It was huge, very muscular, and not one bit afraid of me. It didn't even seem to care that I was there. I would definitely want 'any' handgun rather than nothing.

I think an auto would be nice for firepower, but a revolver would be handy if you get knocked down (limpwrist, jams, etc are not relevant).

3. grecco

grecco

make sure you have extreme shock ammo loaded up....
    seriously...
    i think the 9mm is ok,but bigger is always better.

4. Glocker74

Glocker74

Many cougar hunters use a .22 pistol for them. They chase with dogs, tree it and shoot it out of the tree. Unlike a bear, a cougar is probably going to high tail it when you start firing a 9mm.

Coyotes rely on stealth and cowardice and are not known to attack full grown humans unless they are lying on the ground dying.

A small kid is different. Many successful coyote hunters have their 3-10 year old kids sit in the middle of a meadow with a wounded rabbit predator call while waiting in the shadows.

5. tjpet

tjpet

I've killed a few coyotes with the 9mm stuffed with 90grn. HP's. Killed them dead in their tracks.

I've never nailed a cougar with a 9mm but have seen 6 or so killed. The local boys that run them use .22LR's or mags, mags being the preferred round. For all their tough look cougars fold up and die easy.

6. BikerRN

BikerRN

I used to use a girlfriend's baby as my coyote call until the girlfriend found out what I was doing.

A crying baby is the best coyote call in my opinion.

7. Glocker74

Glocker74

8. MBR

MBR

Thats just wrong!

9. vafish

vafish

I heard that small puppies yelping works very well.

10. isp2605

isp2605

How about a small baby holding a puppy. Can't miss.;e
    Don't know about mountain lions. Have killed a number of coyote with 9mm. Seemed to work pretty well.

11. mikedb

mikedb

I think whinning liberals might work???

12. noway

noway

Seriously, who hear has ever heard of a grown adult being attack by a coyote ? ;g

I think alot of people are being way to paranoid on wild animals and such in the wilderness and their interaction with humans. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Seriously, As far as a mt lion or cat, seriously do you think the cat is going to announce it's location and give you a warning before pouncing on your back and biting your head & neck? Do you think you will even have a chance to withdraw you puny 9mm and shoot such bigcat dead if one would ever attack you? Do you think it will stand still long enough so you can draw a bead on it and shoot it?

These bigcats ( Lions/Cougar/Panthers/Catamount/Jaguar ) are very tough and harden and extreme good hunters on 4 paws. You aren't talkin about a garfield the cartoon cat or the down the street alley cat. These big cats of the americas are very good in their own enviroment, quiet and extremely deadly when they choose to be. Their prey that they kill never know that they are in danger until their body is some how in a cat mouth and being ripped apart.

Will a 9mm work, probably yes if all of the cards are stacked in your favor, you don't have an ambush attack and hit them in a vital area under pressure with a cat being on you, jumping at you and trying to drag you and throwin you around.

Using common sense would most likely keep you out of trouble to avoid being attack in the 1st place. Many people make it into the woods and never encounter an attacking coyote or lion nor need protection from such animals.

13. vafish

vafish

January 2003 just outside Richmond VA a guy was attacked by a rabid coyote while mowing his lawn.

He managed to get back into his home without getting bit, then retrieved a gun and shot it.

There also was another case on Cape Cod in Febuary of this year where a rabid coyote attacked a woman. In that case the news report said she was only the 2nd person ever attacked by a coyote in MA in history. The other case was a 3 year old child.

On June 4th 2004 a Coyote attacked a Turkey hunter in the Ozarks, although in that case his camaflauge and turkey call probably contributed to it.

Not saying it happens often, or that a normal healty coyote would attack a healty adult human, but, you did ask who had ever heard of it.

Your pet cat or poodle are probably in a lot more danger from a coyote than you are.

Intersting article on Coyotes losing their fear of humans.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/08/08/news/coastal/15_55_288_7_04.txt

14. JKG

JKG

Rabid yotes are an issue. Or packs of coy-dogs or feral dogs, but that's another issue.

I think we are all speculating here. I've seen a lion at 30yds, and yes I could have shot it. But it was not interested in me nor charging.

The chances of getting attacked by anything or anyone is remote in my opinion, but its good to be aware.

Have a look at this. You will see that a lion attack is not instant death. A knife and a gun could be effective, even with the cat on you:

http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/intro.htm#facts

For those interested in AK bears:

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/attacks/bear-human_conflicts.htm

15. JKG

JKG

One last thing, a good agile dog or two may be better at detecting and preventing a lion attack than anything.

I worry more about a pitbull or rotty running out of its yard than people or wild animals. There's been more pitbull attacks reported in the news lately. I think just about everyone has had a dog charge them at one pt or another in their life. I love pitbulls and rottweilers, but if one runs at me, its a dead dog. Just can't take that chance.

16. Glocker74

Glocker74

Seriously, who hear has ever heard of a grown adult being attack by a coyote ? ...

Northern California mid 90's, 2 people fought off a young one that didn't know any better (cougar). They had to wrestle it...;P

Around here, hunters get stalked all the time. Both bear and cougar have attacked people. Mostly it's turkey callers. The state of Oregon has re-legalized carrying a firearm while bowhunting due to this situation.

You are right, cougars can cover 20 feet in a blink...;g

One local hunter doused himself with vanilla extract to cover his scent while deer hunting. A real-big-bear thought he smelled mighty tasty and charged him from the brush. Hunter got off rifle rounds and killed it. If he was bowhunting he probably would have died.

I had a huge blackie take a deer 75? yards from me, then roar. Absolutely the scariest thing I ever heard outside a movie. When I went over there at twilight I could see him dancing around in the shadows- he wasn't going to leave his kill. I left.;f

17. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have lived in coyote country my entire life. I have never known a coyote to attack a human. So with that in mind, a 9mm is a bit of an over kill.

As far as a lion, pack what you want cause if one decided to attack you, you would never know it until you were having a conversation with your maker.

On the other hand, if you were thinking of hunting said creatures I would think that a 9mm would work out just fine if you were confortable with shooting it and could hit your mark under fast, stressfull conditions.

18. hatidua

hatidua

well put.

19. akbound

akbound

Cougars are superb hunters, but they're not a wraith or some supernatural killer. There are more than a few cases of persons having been attacked by them and surviving to tell the tale, (and that at being armed with nothing more than a knife, stick, or even bare hands).

As they are not really that difficult to kill a 9x19 would be more than sufficient for them. As has been stated several times already many cat hunters successfully use the rimfires. But frequently when this is the case the cats are shot through the lungs and allowed to die from their lungs filling with blood (which isn't always immediate). Those looking to protect valuable dogs frequently switched to .357 Magnum or such as it provided for a more rapid demise.

As to coyote, the only likely concern would be a rabid coyote. (As someone else already said packs of feral, or coy-dogs would likely cause a bigger problem for most humans.) And again the 9x19 would be more than sufficient.

The advantage of the 9x19 is that it also works well against what would likely be the biggest threat, man. If you have a 9x19 that you're comfortable with you'd be well armed for either mountain lion or coyote.

Dave

20. akbound

akbound