How was season opener for you?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lomfs24, Oct 24, 2005.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

How was opening gun season for you? Ours open last weekend. I went Sunday and didn't see a thing. Well, we saw some Mule Deer does but you don't really want to shoot a doe opening morning.

Anyway, I did see a Mountain Grouse and didn't really want to shoot it with a 300 Win Mag at 10 yards so I opted for the 10mm instead. Took it's head off at 10 yards and didn't touch any of the meat. I gave the bird to a friend of mine who loves wild game birds.

That was my opener.

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Never let it be said that us men from the West can't handle a "hog leg".... ( even if yours was a semi-auto hog leg) :)

Good shooting man, sorry you did'nt get your deer, but you still got plenty of time, and i hope ya get a good one Hoss.

My brother did not get our plot finished up, (like he was suppposed to), so we are hunting the canyons as usual, which is good, but i was looking forward to that plot being done.

Like you, i'll give a report as i can.....
    Just wanted to say good shootin on your bird, and good hunting.

Later

CanyonMan

3. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

No guns in Michigan till the 15th of November… still a lot of bow/deer left & the rut won’t really start getting good for AT LEAST another week.

4. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Last weekend was the opener of Muzzle Loading season on a National Wildlife Refuge here in Arkansas. You have to have a brochure to hunt it, and I didn't get to the store that has them before close, so I bow hunted Saturday morning and was going to get the map for Saturday evening and Sunday morning muzzle loading. It was just too hot and the mosquitoes were worse than I remember them being this time of year in a long time. So when I got down Saturday morning, I packed up and went home. I didn't see any deer. The temperature sure is nice for deer hunting now! I hope it stays like this through the weekend.

5. tjpet

tjpet

So far this Fall one Wyoming antelope, one local spike bull elk, one nice 26" mulie last saturday (the opener.) Not too high but very heavy. All killed with a Ruger M77 in 7x57 w/175grn. bullets.

6. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

November 28 for shotgun here.

I'll have my Digicam to show you the picture of the monster I'm gong to get (or more likley the 1,000,000 squirrels I'll see).

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I'll let you know November 18th. I will also show y'all the pics of the moster that I get. Saw a huge freaking 12 pointer tonight right across the field from where I live/hunt. Of course I'll probably see nothin but his b****es all season ;Q

8. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Opening day was November 5th for rifle season here in Texas. It was an excellent opener for me. Got a big 9 pt. Picture is posted on another thread.

Scott

9. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

I was a guest on a lease for opening morning and got invited to shoot a doe. Picture will be up soon, but for now, 76 pounds after gutted, 5 1/2-6 1/2 years old, perfectly mature doe, taken with a textbook broadside shot @ 80 yards using 150gr Remington Express Core Lokt .270

10. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

I used a Remington Core-Lokt 130 gr. in my .270 from around 90 yds for my buck.

Scott

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

How was my season opener?
    Well it was in the mid/high 80's, in W. TX. & the deer were looking for the AC, and sweating is not my idea of deer hunting. So, i stayed in the house. ;)

My brother and another guy went out behind the ranch house here, at the bottom of the the canyon, and shot one small buck, (he probably died from heat exhastion), and that was about it here.

Glad to hear the rest of you ole boys did good, and especialy you Texas boys. Rain coming this next weekend, (very needed), but i hope a cold spell is close at hand, don't want to hunt in shorts and a t-shirt! :)

Good hunting to all you guys!

CanyonMan