close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Was Opening Dove Day

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by USMCsilver, Sep 2, 2003.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Man, mine plain out sucked! I went with a friend and he assured me we were going to have a good hunt. He hadn't seen the field but knew the guy puttin' on the show.

Anyhow, I shot twice and hit one bird. I actually shot a few more times, but they were shots that would have never been made; I just wanted to pull the trigger. So, I spent 8 shells in 3.5 hours. There were about 12 of us hunting and there were 4 birds shot. I think we may have seen 25-30.

The field was about 140 yards long by 40 yards wide. It had crappy grass and a few turned over sunflowers. All around us were corn fields, etc. and the birds were getting slaughtered everywhere but where I was.

Oh well, se la vie, or however you spell it!

2. noway

noway

That plain just suck.:(

I hope this wasn't a paid dove shoot. Either way 140x40 is quite small compared to where I'm at.

3. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Yours was better than mine, in NY doves are a song bird and therefore off limits!:( oh well tree rats are open at least!;f Better luck next time!

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Don't feel so bad. My dad and his friend got rained out most of the day and the part they could hunt they got 1 bird between the 2 of them.

Still beats going to work though. ;f

5. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

We had a great day. Hunt a field in Laurens SC. The folks who run it really out did themselves. They had to after a pitiful last season. Many got their limits. I bet we saw 150 birds or better. USMCSilver, where did you hunt?
    LF

6. LawRand

LawRand NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Sterling: I had a good opening morning here in Missouri. We weren't overrun with birds but they kept coming pretty regular. I had a limit of 12 by 9:00. I started out in a cattle lot and ended up over under a couple of dead tree snags that the doves liked flying to. My shooting wasn't the sharpest. Missed my dog terribly and made a vow to begin the search for a new one immediately.

Sorry your day wasn't better. Are you gonna try to get out anymore?

7. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Sucked!! I took the day off work (got a vacation day, hard as heck to get!), and got the wife and kid camo'd up. Got to the field (it's public), and there must have been 50 people there. Oh, it's a 20 acre field:( So, we went to a different one, no one there. No birds, either. I'll be back out on Thursday/Friday (my off days), will post back after that. Hope someone else has better luck than me!

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

A stone's throw outside of Darlington.

Yeah, I am sure I will. I've got some other friends with some fields but I just gotta find the time off work or school...

Glad y'all had a better time than I did!

9. Ookster

Ookster

Well, I tried dove hunting for the first time Saturday. We didn't have many birds come by, but it was still fun. My only opportunity to shoot came when two birds flew from right to left about 20 yards in front of me and maybe 10-15 yards off the ground. I hit one squarely but missed the other one. I could have and probably should have hit both, but I was excited and rushed it a bit.

The local game warden said that they didn't expect very good dove hunting at this field this year. With all the rain we've gotten he said they couldn't plant the sunflowers until too late, so there aren't many birds. But I still had a good time. We were out there for a couple of hours and I was the only one in my group who got a bird. I'm going to try it again at a different (but more crowded) field this weekend.

Ookster

10. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

I went yesterday. It was my first dove hunting trip. We went to a place just west of Mineral Wells, TX. Were hunting in a field planted with sunflower seeds. Between 4 hunters, we ended up with 30 dove. We hit several that landed in dense sunflower seed patches that we just couldn't find.

As for me, I got 5 dove. Not bad for my first dove hunt and only the second time shooting a shotgun!

Scott

11. LawRand

LawRand NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Good for you both, Ookster and txgolfer45. Glad you enjoyed your hunt. Watch it though, it'll get in your blood.

12. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

Dove Season Day 2
    Got to the field, and who drives up in his Ram truck But, the locally famous and forever Southern GlockTalker - Hucklebarry. This Huck was no hound, Shooting what was probabally his Great Granpappys Civil war pump gun, he was dropping them left and right. Man, he can shoot as well as he can wax elequent about shooting. Huck, pleasure to shoot beside you
    LF

13. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

Thanks, Mr. Farce.

After reading your post, I'm trying to remember whether you owe me money or something. Though, I can't recall.

I had a great time, and it was a pleasant surprise running into you. I missed quite a few birds, though. Maybe, when I grow up, I'll be able to shoot as good as your son! He was knockin'em down!

I hope we'll get to shoot together again some time.

Huck